Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Rotopax vs Armadillo

Sometimes you just need to carry a bit extra fuel. Whether it be a big loop group ride in Death Valley or taking a long section along a remote trail or BDR section, a little bit of fuel can save a lot of walking.

The cheap version: a gatorade can or oil jug filled with gas and tossed in your bag.

The expensive version: an oversize tank / different radiator guards / second fuel pump?!

The compromise: auxiliary fuel tank

For the better part of the last decade, Rotopax has been all the rage. BROverlanders love them and you'll see them mounted on many pannier and rear moto-racks.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rotopax-gasoline-pack?rrec=true

image.thumb.png.7faaae12681984fcc111268fcfae817b.png

But, compressible bags advanced and the Giant Loop Armadillo is here for your consideration.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giant-loop-armadillo-bag?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96jN0YyI_wIVUjKtBh0gQwE9EAQYASABEgIH2PD_BwE

image.thumb.png.25e1552a44b1387e0537386c25ff1d3a.png

What would YOU choose?!

I’ve done the water/Gatorade bottle for years, never had an issue and never had to walk. Used a five quart oil jug on the Dempster Highway where it’s 250 miles to the first fuel.  Worked great. 

RotoPax is bulky and heavy for a bike, in my opinion.  Better for Tacoma’s to show off in the parking lot.  Guess the GS guys could run them, too.

I have a couple of the Starbucks coffee bladders, never used one to carry fuel on the bike yet but would work similar to the Armadillo deal and it was free.  I like free.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We should test the GS Starbucks coffee blader. Personal I like the blader type. 

• Like 1

I have been using a bladder I got from Australia, I like the fact it can carry up to 2.5 gallons if needed, I put in less as the ride dictates.
Advantes to me are the fact that you only take up space when needed and when not being used it folds flat to the point of it can remain tied to the inside of a pannier rack etc out of the way for 99% of the trip till needed.

You cant do that with a rotopac it takes up the same amount of space all of the time.
My .02
I also run a larger tank for bigger rides but thats just me (I have 3 tanks for the 525)
stock
4.5Gal Safari
7Gal Acerbis
I pretty much run the safari all the the time except for when I do DV trips with known 250 mile loops and I want to explore so the big tank goes on for those trips.

• Like 1

I downsized from the 8 gallon GSA bike to a 5 gallon GS bike.  The very rare times I miss the big tank is when I'm Iron Butting to get somewhere far.

I would never carry a Rotopax for reasons stated above.  I'd be much more inclined to do a @tntmo for that one time in 5 years that I might need a little fuel bump.

I do carry (on group tours) a liter of oil, and a liter of fuel (for 'that guy' in the group).  Have never needed the fuel yet because we have planned fuel stops, and it's hard to forget to fuel up when the 9 guys around you are pumping gas.

.....hmmm.

I just talked myself into ditching the fuel bottle.  I used to use a good slosh of gas though to start campfires, and that was pretty handy.  But lately I just find a good clean stick and dip it in the gas tank for a fire starter torch.  And tank is always full when I do that cause . . . . fires are in the evening.  Evening means we gassed up recently for the next days ride.  So that always works a treat.

The oil bottle though ??? Yeh.  It's been called into play a few times.  Usually about a half hour after I put the JB Quickweld away.  

• Like 1

Coincidentally I bout these this weekend. Need to fashion a mount of sorts.

6F9798D7-5668-42D7-ACD8-66DA3992C6B8.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, A 2 said:

There are some decent and reasonably priced mounts available for these.  I have one somewhere in my garage.  I had one of those mounted to my Super Tenere for the entire time I owned it, only used for starting fires. 

7 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

We should test the GS Starbucks coffee blader. Personal I like the blader type. 

I tried the starbucks coffee bladder.  It works however just for a day or two.  The fuel separated the liner so you get a bag within a bag.  by my 3rd time using it, it would not pour out.  I needed to stab the (now internal bag) to get the fuel out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pokey151 said:

I tried the starbucks coffee bladder.  It works however just for a day or two.  The fuel separated the liner so you get a bag within a bag.  by my 3rd time using it, it would not pour out.  I needed to stab the (now internal bag) to get the fuel out.

Hmm, I will test mine.  I did a YouTube video on storing gasoline in all kinds of plastic containers.  Ziplock bags, trash bags, plastic grocery bags…all of them held for weeks but a few had minor seepage towards the end.  None disintegrated or completely failed.  

• Like 1

The MSR dromadory bags also work well, pack small and are cheap.

14 hours ago, tntmo said:

Hmm, I will test mine.  I did a YouTube video on storing gasoline in all kinds of plastic containers.  Ziplock bags, trash bags, plastic grocery bags…all of them held for weeks but a few had minor seepage towards the end.  None disintegrated or completely failed.  

7633B613-EE42-4E71-8689-76243FE0F560.thumb.jpeg.c0500e40ffd160c3cd7a68bbd4746c74.jpeg

We need to see this video! Expose yourself!!

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

7633B613-EE42-4E71-8689-76243FE0F560.thumb.jpeg.c0500e40ffd160c3cd7a68bbd4746c74.jpeg

We need to see this video! Expose yourself!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A 2 said:

Wow @tntmo has a Lot of gas 🤢

@A 2 thanks for sharing, you earned a TOM Sticker!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DSM8 said:

The MSR dromadory bags also work well, pack small and are cheap.

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/storage-bags/dromedary-bags/dromedary-bags.html

Nice addition to the chat!

The 4 Liter is currently $37.39 at REI 

Looks like a nice middle ground between the @Zubb BMW Members Only Starbucks bag and the Armadillo bag. 

The Armadillo Bag appears to have a more robust shell which may be helpful when lashing it down.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZGu1GxcuhLzwUgxkSA

I suppose a person could also use a musty old CamelBak bladder.  The advantage to that is, it already has a fuel hose attached to it.  I have a few laying around...this may actually be a video idea! 

• Like 1

Some guy tested the MSR bag put gas in it and left it out in the sun for like a week or so with no issues.

Based on that if you use the sippy lid you can just squeeze the gas into the tank no hose or funnel needed.
Seems to work, I have one but have never needed to use it to date.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Some guy tested the MSR bag put gas in it and left it out in the sun for like a week or so with no issues.

Based on that if you use the sippy lid you can just squeeze the gas into the tank no hose or funnel needed.
Seems to work, I have one but have never needed to use it to date.

I've Carried fuel in msr bladders dozens of times zero issues besides you can smell the gas so don't put into a backpack

Just did 3 Days in az on rzrs with the giantloop 3 gallon bladder worked well

• Like 1

I just carry one or two cheap red msr bottles on the 690. In 15,000 Miles on that bike, and many a all day long weekend rides in the desert, including a 200 mile each way Parker dash... By utilizing the 'plan ahead, and stop for gas' method I have only needed to use them once. The 690 has a massive 3.1 gallon tank.

For mounts for the MSR bottles, Enduristan has a really well priced and nice bottle holder that has a highly reflective E on the back, I like having that facing the rear, on the tail. I've used the MSR bottles and Endursitan holders for many, many miles, cheap, effective... this doesn't need to be a fancy thing, just a thing to get you to the next gas point. If you want extra piece of mind, toss a siphon hose in your bags. 

image.png.3521aab17f56ed665251d0742f5ec504.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I just carry one or two cheap red msr bottles on the 690. In 15,000 Miles on that bike, and many a all day long weekend rides in the desert, including a 200 mile each way Parker dash... By utilizing the 'plan ahead, and stop for gas' method I have only needed to use them once. The 690 has a massive 3.1 gallon tank.

For mounts for the MSR bottles, Enduristan has a really well priced and nice bottle holder that has a highly reflective E on the back, I like having that facing the rear, on the tail. I've used the MSR bottles and Endursitan holders for many, many miles, cheap, effective... this doesn't need to be a fancy thing, just a thing to get you to the next gas point. If you want extra piece of mind, toss a siphon hose in your bags. 

image.png.3521aab17f56ed665251d0742f5ec504.png

If the bottles leak, this layout is ideal for wheelie-ing around

Not so good for stoppie riding

Keep it pointed 12 o’clock Mr @shutterrev !

Enduristan

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/enduristan-bottle-holster?sku_id=1161306

Nelson Rigg version

https://a.co/d/gTaA12t

4 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

If the bottles leak

neither ever have, it's been upside down, on it's sides etc. 

On 5/22/2023 at 12:02 PM, A 2 said:

Yep.  I carry a black one with oil, and the red was for fuel.

Even 1 Liter of fuel represents a helluva long walk in the burning desert sun.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:53 AM, Goofy Footer said:

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/storage-bags/dromedary-bags/dromedary-bags.html

Nice addition to the chat!

The 4 Liter is currently $37.39 at REI 

Looks like a nice middle ground between the @Zubb BMW Members Only Starbucks bag and the Armadillo bag. 

The Armadillo Bag appears to have a more robust shell which may be helpful when lashing it down.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZGu1GxcuhLzwUgxkSA

I've had this dromedary bag for 20 years or so.  Never put fuel in it.  Only carried water in it.  It works 100% and tough as nails.

The lash straps are critical.  Don't get a bag without them.

Edited by Zubb

2 minutes ago, Zubb said:

1 liter of “medicine” will make that walk more interesting

and, can be used as fuel

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Also those mosko blue rubber straps, whatever they call them, the rubber ones... two of them on a bottle and its not going anywhere. 

20 hours ago, shutterrev said:

. If you want extra piece of mind, toss a siphon hose in your bags. 

I carry a siphon hose in my guide kit.  Only time I ever used it was when I ran the truck out of gas on the way to Montana.

Siphoned 5 gals from the bike into a roadside antifreeze jug, then back into the truck.  Got me to a little nowhere town for resupply.  Sometimes fortune smiles on the stupid!

• Like 1