Caleb_Linden

Caleb Linden: Vista DRZed 400

Hello, 

My name is Caleb Linden Just picked up a 2006 DRZ 400 with 9k miles, desert tank and a seat concepts a month or so ago! I hosted the FaceBook ride at Black Mountain truck trail this past Saturday. I have now done Nate Harrison Grade a couple times, Otay Mountain Truck trail and single track, and the Black Mountain truck trail!

I am 24 and looking to do the Continental Divide Trail next year so taking time to get acquainted with the bike, build up my gear slowly, and learn to work on the bike. This is my first dual sport and am loving it more and more as I get used to having a 300 pound bike under my legs haha. I'm thoroughly impressed with those adventure riders on big bike haha can't wait till I get there! I will take ANY used gear you want to sell me. Doing this on a budget. Let me know if you are in the area and have any trail recs! So far everything seems to be an hour plus away and I prefer not to ride for obvious reasons being 6'3 220lb on a drz makes the freeway no fun. 

I have a lot of backpacking gear and experience camping hiking so excited to add a bike to the mix. 

Nice to meet you all!

Sincerely, 

Caleb Linden

• Like 4

DRZ400 is a good bike for your planned trip, it’s a proven machine that’s been around and has a lot of information out there to adapt it to whatever you need it to do.

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

• Like 1

Welcome Caleb! I agree with @tntmo that the DRZ400 is great for a CDT trip.

What gearing are you running? I liked 14/44 (same as 15/47) because it was great in dirt and decent on the backroad highways.

15/44 is stock and good for summer dualsport loops on slightly easier trails.

From Vista you can take backroads and avoid the 15 fwy while still experiencing lots of dirt and exploration.

I think a Kenda K270 is a good rear tire for summer dualsporting and they priced well.

Edited by Goofy Footer
K270 tire
  • Like 1

Welcome to San Diego's dualsport community. 

We'll see you at the first aid class on 5/31 and hope to ride with you soon.

Feel free to post up or join in on some rides in the Informal Local Rides Section.

I am located in Escondido and had a DRZ know the bike very well put bout 15K miles on mine before finally moving onto another bike.

I host tech days and actually have some parts and stuff left over from the DRZ days. You are welcome to bring on by some weekend if you want assistance etc with the bike.

Best advise I can give you is spend the money now and get it sprung for your weight, from the factory it is set up for a 135lb rider, you exceed that by a large margin.
Just the right springs will make it much better ride for you, not even going to talk about valving since your on a budget but that is the next step that will transform any bike.
Cost is around 1500 to have it all done right (springs and valves) suspension101 is the go to person.

• Like 2

A @DSM8 tech day would be great!

@Caleb_Linden if you’re on a budget and bottoming out your suspension, fork springs and adding 15ml of fork oil are cheap mods you can do in a weekend. We could help you set your sag and increase rear preload. If you load the bike with camping gear extra preload or a rear spring can help if you’re bottoming / sagging out the rear.

I Guarantee if the bike is stock he is or will very soon be bottoming the crap out of that, he is almost 100lbs over the threshold.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Welcome Caleb! I agree with @tntmo that the DRZ400 is great for a CDT trip.

What gearing are you running? I liked 14/44 (same as 15/47) because it was great in dirt and decent on the backroad highways.

15/44 is stock and good for summer dualsport loops on slightly easier trails.

From Vista you can take backroads and avoid the 15 fwy while still experiencing lots of dirt and exploration.

I think a Kenda K260 is a good rear tire for summer dualsporting and they priced well.

I am not sure what gear I am running, 2 previous owners but I assume stock. 

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

A @DSM8 tech day would be great!

@Caleb_Linden if you’re on a budget and bottoming out your suspension, fork springs and adding 15ml of fork oil are cheap mods you can do in a weekend. We could help you set your sag and increase rear preload. If you load the bike with camping gear extra preload or a rear spring can help if you’re bottoming / sagging out the rear.

@DSM8 and Goofy Footer, I don't think I have been bottoming out much yet because I am not hitting anything to fast or doing any big drops but I would love an adjustment for when I need to carry gear. Maybe before the trip I will do that suspension upgrade

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Caleb_Linden said:

I am not sure what gear I am running, 2 previous owners but I assume stock. 

You can use a sharpie and mark on tooth then rotate the wheels / chain and count the teeth. This works well enough on the front. On the rear the # of teeth is often stamped on the sprocket.

Gearing can really change power delivery: bottom end grunt vs more fwy speed.

I use this website when I was gearing for Grand Prix racing and now for my supermoto setup on my 300.  They have a database of your bike's transmission ratio, and enter your wheel/tire size, then you can see what gearing changes would work

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

• Like 2

Easy rule

1 down in the front is like 3 up in the rear.
Usually changing the front is your best bang for the buck but smaller front means less top end speed.
I went down 1 in the front on my drz and that was a great compromise for all around dual sport riding.

1 hour ago, Caleb_Linden said:

For CDT I think I am fine topping out at 65-70, not planning on riding to/from trail. Whats my cost here?

Find out what sprockets you have and report back here, several of us own or have owned DRZ400’s and will give you suggestions.  Getting the right springs is also highly recommended. I can assist along with many others here.

1 hour ago, Caleb_Linden said:

For CDT I think I am fine topping out at 65-70, not planning on riding to/from trail. Whats my cost here?

Front Sprocket $20

Rear Sprocket $30-40

Check out Rocky Mountain ATV / MC for lots of goodies. Also checkout those Kenda K270 tires

You can have a Lot of great times on a DRZ for not too much investment

Edited by Goofy Footer
  • Like 1

Some of us may have sprockets laying around, too.

Hey Caleb,

I am on the Oceanside/Vista border and have a 2000 DRZ.  I am about your same size been loving the bike.  When I got mine the previous owner had put the E gearing on 14/47 which was really nice going slow.  You couldn't stall the bike.  Wheelie in 2nd without using the clutch.  But even going down El Camino felt like it needed a 6th gear.  I went back to stock 15/44 which is better on the freeway and ok everywhere else.  I have heard 15/47 recommended a few times.

Check the web for DR 400 regulator stator week points . Might be good to replace before you go on that long ride .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kkug said:

Check the web for DR 400 regulator stator week points . Might be good to replace before you go on that long ride .

Definitely want to pull the stator cover, remove the bolts on the flywheel and put thread lock on them.  They come loose, back out and then chew up the stator.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apex2433 said:

Hey Caleb,

I am on the Oceanside/Vista border and have a 2000 DRZ.  I am about your same size been loving the bike.  When I got mine the previous owner had put the E gearing on 14/47 which was really nice going slow.  You couldn't stall the bike.  Wheelie in 2nd without using the clutch.  But even going down El Camino felt like it needed a 6th gear.  I went back to stock 15/44 which is better on the freeway and ok everywhere else.  I have heard 15/47 recommended a few times.

14/44 is same as 15/47

Since you have the 44 rear installed, it’s easier to swap the front sprocket to experiment. For summer riding / faster & smoother fire roads 15/44 is great. Come winter if you are trucking to the desert maybe 14/44 would be a fun trial.

22 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

14/44 is same as 15/47

Since you have the 44 rear installed, it’s easier to swap the front sprocket to experiment. For summer riding / faster & smoother fire roads 15/44 is great. Come winter if you are trucking to the desert maybe 14/44 would be a fun trial.

Thanks.  I'll try swapping out that front next.

Listen closely to those telling you to get the right springs. IMO that should be the very first modification you do.

I'm about 190 lbs before gear. 0.51 springs in the forks, variable 6.0-8.0 in the rear(on my DRZ, just for clarity). My numbers are just for a general reference, as I have a larger tank and tower in the front. I only bottom on the very hardest of hits.

It's a game changer for bike handling and confidence.