Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Adventure Bike Truth: Marketing vs Reality

Let’s talk safety and practicality for the Typical “ADV” bike purchaser today. (you know, the ones that marketing teams salivate over)

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. The average rider will expel more energy riding rough terrain and their endurance will become drained. A tired rider is an unsafe rider.

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. If a bike is too heavy to pick up solo you shouldn’t be riding it in any dirt situation. One crash quickly accelerates into others and causes exponential problems. If you need to ride with others to help pick up your bike, you are compromised. 

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. Simply put, when they fall, they fall harder. This puts more strain on the body during a foot dab or crash and results in more injuries to the rider.

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. They are harder on clutches and drivetrains. Riders get stranded all over with totally burnt up clutches and cracked cast wheels.

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. They have oversized motors meant for the interstate. Big motors = big speed = big wrecks.

Sorry folks but you can’t put lipstick on a pig.

Oh wait!

2vzxDA.gif

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

and see a 6 pack ab ripped shirtless male

Apologies,  I never mean to offend  😉 😂

Ride safe friends, 

Nick 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Let’s talk safety and practicality for the Typical “ADV” bike purchaser today. (you know, the ones that marketing teams salivate over)

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. The average rider will expel more energy riding rough terrain and their endurance will become drained. A tired rider is an unsafe rider.

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. If a bike is too heavy to pick up solo you shouldn’t be riding it in any dirt situation. One crash quickly accelerates into others and causes exponential problems. If you need to ride with others to help pick up your bike, you are compromised. 

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. Simply put, when they fall, they fall harder. This puts more strain on the body during a foot dab or crash and results in more injuries to the rider.

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. They are harder on clutches and drivetrains. Riders get stranded all over with totally burnt up clutches and cracked cast wheels.

Gravel Touring bikes weigh a lot. They have oversized motors meant for the interstate. Big motors = big speed = big wrecks.

Sorry folks but you can’t put lipstick on a pig.

Oh wait!

2vzxDA.gif

Yet they are everywhere.

Somebody better call @padu and tell him he better stop it.

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

and see a 6 pack ab ripped shirtless male

29 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Apologies,  I never mean to offend  😉 😂

No wonder you’re hosting the “strip and flip” moto medical class on 5/31 !!

@Zubb bring some Idaho “medicine” please!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

--- you know I was just thinking.  Does anyone gripe about ads for 2 stroke 300's? or 450's and 500's?  Those ads show guys riding in ways 90% of us here could never achieve.  Where's the cynicism?   

Yes, I have thought about those ads that show pros riding MX and dirtbikes.  But it doesn't stop me from buying a dirt bike and going out and having fun.  I know I can ride a lot of trails successfully on those bikes.  I will be doing the same sort of riding, but a lot slower and not big technical things.  When I see riders doing some of the same stuff in an adventure bike ad,  I know the bike isn't designed to be used by somebody like me for that kind of riding. Although impressive, It doesn't even look like fun to me.

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zubb said:

I may watch a commercial and see a 6 pack ab ripped shirtless male model wearing a certain cologne with a supermodel draped over his arm. Now I am just barely smart enough to know that this cologne won't get me that.  But it's titillating to think about now isn't it.  So maybe I'll buy it and dream a little.  Hopefully I'll like the smell.

Whaaat? 

You just obliterated my fantasies... now you all will have to deal with my BO

😂

• Haha 1

@Goofy Footer I will definitely bring a jar. HOWEVER, that stuff is akin to riding a 160hp bike on a slow dirt trail without ESA!! It’s more designed for an evening at the campfire where no driving is involved. Make sure no one is smoking in the area!

16 hours ago, Zubb said:

Yet they are everywhere.

Somebody better call @padu and tell him he better stop it.

telescopes-pirates-of-the-caribbean.gif

Huh? Never see them on the trails I ride 

My mirrors don’t have a zoom function!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:46 PM, padu said:

Whaaat? 

You just obliterated my REALITY!... now you all will have to deal with my BO

😂

Fixed that for you. 

• Like 1

Truth is a dangerous concept.  Once egos are engaged,  stand by for conflict.

We are just making the best of available choices.

0EFFD72D-1740-45F1-9FF1-7B4DF497BDC6.jpeg

Edited by Bagstr
  • Like 1