Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Adventure Bike Truth: Marketing vs Reality

I thought that looked like a familiar video. First comment I saw was some idiot named "Tom's Tinkering and Adventures"  going on about selling a Super Tenere for a KTM 690. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I thought that looked like a familiar video. First comment I saw was some idiot named "Tom's Tinkering and Adventures"  going on about selling a Super Tenere for a KTM 690. 

That guy Tom guy has seen the Light !!

i-have-seen-the-light-i-have-got-the-ans

He is clearly us MUCH smarter than he looks

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

He is clearly us MUCH smarter than he looks

That's not a long drive....

marketing will never use an average consumer as their test/video/model, they use paid pros like Pol Tarres (Yam) types to showcase their beasts.

I remember BMW used the big Fin Simo Kirssi to showcase their HP2 model, he rode it like 125 MX bike......he would show up at EU rounds of enduros on the HP2 beast with cameras in tow for some epic HP2 videos. Just like Pol does now with his very modified T7, it's great entertainment and publicity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

marketing will never use an average consumer as their test/video/model, they use paid pros like Pol Tarres (Yam) types to showcase their beasts.

I remember BMW used the big Fin Simo Kirssi to showcase their HP2 model, he rode it like 125 MX bike......he would show up at EU rounds of enduros on the HP2 beast with cameras in tow for some epic HP2 videos. Just like Pol does now with his very modified T7, it's great entertainment and publicity.

Marketing will use male models try to sell us musky perfume!

I’d rather reek of 2 stroke exhaust

The ads always show some professional offroad competitor blithely motoring his way around a bit of sandy single track, roosting berms and hopping over a rock, making average guys believe that there is a tiny chance, no matter how miniscule, that it will be them someday if they purchase the machine in the ad.  They will be wrong however.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, dirt dame said:

The ads always show some professional offroad competitor blithely motoring his way around a bit of sandy single track, roosting berms and hopping over a rock, making average guys believe that there is a tiny chance, no matter how miniscule, that it will be them someday if they purchase the machine in the ad.  They will be wrong however.

"It's the carpenter, not the tool".

I can ride most of McCain with the DDX almost as good as I ride with my 2T enduro bike. If you apply yourself to it, and you are disciplined about your learnship, you will get there.

• Like 4

Same here Padu. I agree 100%.

Once I get my 950 going, we need to ride together. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, padu said:

"It's the carpenter, not the tool".

I can ride most of McCain with the DDX almost as good as I ride with my 2T enduro bike. If you apply yourself to it, and you are disciplined about your learnship, you will get there.

Not to diminish or doubt your riding skills in any way , but in fact I would be honored to see them in action.  I have seen a person or two (Uncle Cameron comes to mind) that could ride the wheels off their giant adventure bikes, all the while making it look like child's play.  If i were still there local, I'd love to see you demonstrate your trail skills on a typical (for me) trail loop of 40 miles out at McCain.

I was just pointing out that a large percentage of riders will never achieve the skill that the ad is selling their product with.  Not may people will achieve the skill level of the people pictured in any motorcycle ad showing off the machine's potential, and that is why, to quote you "it's the carpenter, not the tool" really applies and demonstrates my comment.  Everybody wishes to be be the master carpenter (although I think that there a good many more really good carpenters by comparison to really good motorcycle riders)....okay, maybe that isn't such a useful analogy.

No, I don't actually have a life.

And i miss my home trails.😥

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 1

While I agree partially, no carpenter uses just one hammer to do their job in the best manner.  Could a good carpenter use a tack hammer all day long, or a sledge hammer?  Sure...they could but a truly skilled professional would look at the job that needed to be done and then choose the right tool for that job.  

I guess what I'm saying is: I need more bikes.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, padu said:

I agree with this- I had "that kind of relationship" with my 990. But the question in my mind was always: "Is this fun?" because once the heroics wear off, it really is not fun. My conclusion is, for me, if there's any kind of off-road involved, the 500 will always be more fun.

Granted- a BDR will be fun on the dirt, and not-as-fun on the pavement return. This year, I'm changing to "ADV tires" and a smaller rear sprocket in an attempt to enhance the pavement capability. I'll report in a few months.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

While I agree partially, no carpenter uses just one hammer to do their job in the best manner.  Could a good carpenter use a tack hammer all day long, or a sledge hammer?  Sure...they could but a truly skilled professional would look at the job that needed to be done and then choose the right tool for that job.  

And yet some carpenters get lured by salesman and marketing to buy SnapOn hammers !

• Haha 1

Thing is if someone want's road and fire road/dirt road adventure, that can be done on any street bike. I'd rather take a Ninja 400 on trails..er dirt roads than a KTM 1290.

Edited by Biker Jones

29 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I agree with this- I had "that kind of relationship" with my 990. But the question in my mind was always: "Is this fun?" because once the heroics wear off, it really is not fun. My conclusion is, for me, if there's any kind of off-road involved, the 500 will always be more fun.

Granted- a BDR will be fun on the dirt, and not-as-fun on the pavement return. This year, I'm changing to "ADV tires" and a smaller rear sprocket in an attempt to enhance the pavement capability. I'll report in a few months.

+1 

3 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Not to diminish or doubt your riding skills in any way , but in fact I would be honored to see them in action.  I have seen a person or two (Uncle Cameron comes to mind) that could ride the wheels off their giant adventure bikes, all the while making it look like child's play.  If i were still there local, I'd love to see you demonstrate your trail skills on a typical (for me) trail loop of 40 miles out at McCain.

I was just pointing out that a large percentage of riders will never achieve the skill that the ad is selling their product with.  Not may people will achieve the skill level of the people pictured in any motorcycle ad showing off the machine's potential, and that is why, to quote you "it's the carpenter, not the tool" really applies and demonstrates my comment.  Everybody wishes to be be the master carpenter (although I think that there a good many more really good carpenters by comparison to really good motorcycle riders)....okay, maybe that isn't such a useful analogy.

No, I don't actually have a life.

And i miss my home trails.😥

The first time I've ever set wheels on a dirt road was July of last year, and I had a 6 months hiatus due to an ACL reconstruction surgery, so I'm far from being an experienced rider. BUT, I made a conscious decision that in order to enjoy this sport, I needed to invest more in skills, and less on farkles. I'm happy with my skills today, and I will continue learning, practicing and riding to keep improving those skills. It's a lot more fun when you're not falling all the time and you can finish a trail without almost passing out.

I will agree that there is a great number of riders that want the idea of what they see on videos, but are not willing to invest the time, money and discipline to get there. Listen, I have no illusions that I will become s supercross racer or do heel-clickers with my adventure bike, but there is still a loooong way for proficiency. I am after mastery, hoping to be a journeyman.

I would love to ride with you at McCain. I have a feeling we have a lot of common acquaintances. While we can't make that happen, here's a video of the time I took the big bike to McCain:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tntmo said:

YES!

😁

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Fun is very personal and subjective.

I will tackle more technical obstacles with my Beta 300RR, but in the end, the definition of fun for me is the same for all types of bikes: there was a struggle, I applied skills to overcome the struggle, and I didn't die in the process.

• Like 2

I cant think of a more monotone voice for a video,

Maybe that guy from Ferris Bueller

I am no Eli Tomac nor Toby Price - neither is anybody here.

That said it’s a fact more motocross and enduro bikes are actually ridden in their appropriate environment than big bikes are compared to the markering hype.

For the average consumer buying today’s big bikes they have been tricked into overestimating their own capabilities by compelling advertising. 

default_party.gif

• Like 2

Adventure, it is what you make of it!  Good luck keeping up with the Kymco Adventure Scooter....

• Like 2

I could have probably made a video or two over the years with this title...but for different reasons.😂

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 12-20-24 Adventure Bike Truth Marketing vs Reality.png

47 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Adventure, it is what you make of it!  Good luck keeping up with the Kymco Adventure Scooter....

Kymco should pay @tntmo for this brilliance: “Adventure Scooter”

They would sell millions!

TransAmerica Trail READY! Let’s Go!!

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

I cant think of a more monotone voice for a video,

Maybe that guy from Ferris Bueller

Even Mr Lorensax know’s the Economics: when big bike manufacturers label their pigs “Adventure” .. they Sell!!

I disagree with the "marketing" video above in that he doesn't get to define what ADVENTURE means to anyone else.  His definition of an ADV bike is just fine for him.  That was a rant from a guy who can't look outside his own experience and goals for riding.  The video only shows what his own interpretation of an ADV bike is.  But I generally dig his channel.  He puts out some great stuff!

Todays modern ADV bikes are amazing.  And they answer the masses call for a machine they can climb onto and ride off into the unknown. . . . forever and ever amen.  And even look cool doing it.  While you're at it, you might as well color match your KLIM costume to match the bike.  Woo Hoo! Let's go!  Grab yer helmet and a gold card and hit the road baby!

If you wanna go hit all the Starbucks and Crackerbarrels, have at it brother.  You will have an awesome time and more power to you.  Now add in a little bit of training (or not) for the average guy and presto! you can comfortably ride that big bike on thousands and thousands of miles of awesome Truck Trails and forest service roads and gravel ad infinitum.   Take a little time to practice and learn sand skills . . . . and bam! you're off to the tip of Baja and back on your 890/990/1090/1190/1250/1290 or next year.... your shiny new 1300GS!!!

Who is the "big" ADV bike for, you ask?

Anyone who wants one.

Anyone who wants to leave and return from a big trip on two wheels.  No truck, no trailers needed.

Anyone who wants to carry the kitchen sink along on their motocamp trip (yuck).

Anyone who likes to go "far".

It's pretty mentally gratifying for us humans to sit around and pontificate the superiority of our method, whatever it is.  Fly fisherman, bait casters, and spin fisherman all look down their noses at the other.  Bow hunters, black powder, rifle and pistol hunters do the same.  One mans Dual Sport, is another mans ADV bike.  Tesla/Prius/Nissan Leaf . . all wag their fingers at each other.  The 650 riders  snicker at the liter bikes, and the 2 strokers snicker at the 500 class riders.  And then @tntmo rides up on his junkyard special (is it a 90? or a 110? or a pull start?) and laughs at all of us.

Actually Toms not a good example because he just likes to prove a point.  Like "start it, ride it, have fun".  

@padu here is a great example of what I call "the honest truth about motorcycling".  He hasn't been riding very long compared to many of us.  He bought a bike he liked (Multi-Strata) took a lesson and rode the hell out of it. Someone forgot to tell him you're not supposed to do that. Then took another lesson.  Then another.  He proves a point, It's the RIDER.  Of course bikes are better at some things then others.  But most of us would much rather just buy another bike or two and see if that's easier for them.  At the same time forgetting why they bought ADV bike in the first place.Nothing wrong with having many bikes of course.  My point about Padu is that he enjoys riding that Desert X anywhere he wants to go.  Because he spent money on training.  He didn't make excuses like "well, that guy is Jarvis, or Pol, or Birch.."  He just took some lessons and spent some time practicing what he'd learned and then Presto Chango, his bike magically became much more capable.  Funny how that works.

There's no dark science to riding better .... much much better off road.  There are a lot of coaches that will help you grow if you want to throw a few hundred bucks into seriously changing your riding and comfort level.  In the end you just might find that 900-1200cc bike works really well for most places you want to go once  you learn a better riding technique, and then still have a bike you can loop 3,000 miles in a long week or so.

Todays ADV bikes are amazing.  The 1250 for me, its the perfect BDR bike, sport tourer, iron butt'er, gravel getter, Baja Tourer, grocery getter, ... it's my swiss army knife bike.

--- you know I was just thinking.  Does anyone gripe about ads for 2 stroke 300's? or 450's and 500's?  Those ads show guys riding in ways 90% of us here could never achieve.  Where's the cynicism?   

I may watch a commercial and see a 6 pack ab ripped shirtless male model wearing a certain cologne with a supermodel draped over his arm. Now I am just barely smart enough to know that this cologne won't get me that.  But it's titillating to think about now isn't it.  So maybe I'll buy it and dream a little.  Hopefully I'll like the smell.

• Like 1