Biker Jones

Bear Valley OHV Just re-opened to 4 wheelers

I was there On Sunday and there was mud really only down the trail to Kernan, before that just a few light seepage areas.

I went over there today and met a couple trucks coming back out. Man they tore up one area into a mud pit and huge ruts. I turned around, I was barley a 1/4 way to where Long Valley starts. Shameful.

2 hours ago, Biker Jones said:

I was there On Sunday and there was mud really only down the trail to Kernan, before that just a few light seepage areas.

I went over there today and met a couple trucks coming back out. Man they tore up one area into a mud pit and huge ruts. I turned around, I was barley a 1/4 way to where Long Valley starts. Shameful.

One of the SDAR principles is Tread Lightly

Mud pits dry out and become nasty ruts for other vehicles. This can happen on single track too so TL is crucial. Mtn bikers also talk about letting trails dry out before riding them.

If only the Tread Lightly sentiment was more widespread.

I would imagine that the back portion of Sky Valley road was closed during the heavy rains too.  That route was a mess (and closed)in past rainy winters.

I was on the Sky Valley/ Espinoza loop on Saturday to do trail maintenance.  There was a lot of mud but nothing too bad.

Right now the Forest Service is paying Corral Canyon OHV $30 per hour per person for volunteers and the State is matching that times 4.  I would guess there were about 50 people that showed up, for 4 hours each.  $150 per hour X 4 hours X 50 people = $30,000 for the park. It was a great day.

• Like 3

That was more of a 4 wheel drive event but we usually do one around this time of year with this website. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

I have gone to a few of those events, good to give back a bit.  Hopefully next time we get more SDAR representation.