Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

How To Remove a Motorcycle Helmet

The techniques performed in these videos belong to the creators of the content. I have no binding interest in these videos nor creators. Watch at your own discretion. You are responsible for your actions.

Tim- would you agree the only time one would remove a helmet is if one needed access to the victim's airway? I'm trying to think of another reason- otherwise, I'm waiting for the cavalry. Or until the victim removes it themselves ;  )

Maybe a laceration near the neck that can only be direct pressured without the helmet (like an arterial spray or something damn urgent).

(I might add- check for removable cheekpads first. Many helmets now have them- small red ribbons that one pulls down.

7 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Tim- would you agree the only time one would remove a helmet is if one needed access to the victim's airway? I'm trying to think of another reason- otherwise, I'm waiting for the cavalry. Or until the victim removes it themselves ;  )

Maybe a laceration near the neck that can only be direct pressured without the helmet (like an arterial spray or something damn urgent).

(I might add- check for removable cheekpads first. Many helmets now have them- small red ribbons that one pulls down.

^^^^^^ this. 

Internet medical advice is fraught with issue. This is simple information sharing. Contact a professional for local specifics.

Many publications hint at the possibility of a helmet keeping the head potentially elevated inline with a downed rider laying on their back. Such publications highlight the potential for a rider to be wearing gear with back padding or shoulder pads which, depending on their anatomy, elevate their shoulders off the ground. Should a helmet be prematurely or unnecessarily removed in such an instance, they head could fall unsupported (according to publications).

In theory, a a substantial laceration would seem to be a rare instance while off road motorcycling. That said, it was reported that a rider was killed in the high desert a couple years back after running into a hard to see wire across posts. May he RIP.

Again this is Not medical advice. Consult your local authority having jurisdiction and always ask for help if you are unsure.

• Like 1

Back in the day I remember a sticker on the helmet saying not to remove the helmet unless you are emergency medical professional.

I have a shoei and an Arai helmet.  Both have emergency tabs you pull and the side padding comes out, so helmet removal for emt’s is easier.  After I had my big get off and highsided at 65 (according to my gps). I broke quite a few bones, dislocated shoulder, ruptured spleen, punctured lung and the helmet was cracked and it hit the bridge of my nose splitting it wide open. You could see the cartilage very clear.   The inside of my helmet had a good amount of blood in it.  I had to wait 2 hrs for emts to show up due to the location.  I took my own helmet off and refused to let them cut my jacket boots and pants off. If I was not so stubborn the helmet removal tabs would have been super easy.  I was running an ICON helmet. I made the move the shoei and Arai after that for that exact reason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

I was running an ICON helmet. I made the move the shoei and Arai after that for that exact reason

I think when my wife started riding I started worrying more about quality safety gear, we both will likely always stick with Shoei for street helmets, as you said they do have QR tabs for EMS, also the quietest and lightest helmets I’ve had. I think Shoei and Arai are neck and neck with all that stuff, it’s down to head shape - I have a Shoei head :) 

12 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

I have a shoei and an Arai helmet.  Both have emergency tabs you pull and the side padding comes out, so helmet removal for emt’s is easier.  After I had my big get off and highsided at 65 (according to my gps). I broke quite a few bones, dislocated shoulder, ruptured spleen, punctured lung and the helmet was cracked and it hit the bridge of my nose splitting it wide open. You could see the cartilage very clear.   The inside of my helmet had a good amount of blood in it.  I had to wait 2 hrs for emts to show up due to the location.  I took my own helmet off and refused to let them cut my jacket boots and pants off. If I was not so stubborn the helmet removal tabs would have been super easy.  I was running an ICON helmet. I made the move the shoei and Arai after that for that exact reason

That’s a nasty crash. But, you’re back now!

If I may ask (for the sake of group learning):

Where were you?

Were you flown out or ground transported?

Did you contact 911 via cell or satellite phone?

11 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

That’s a nasty crash. But, you’re back now!

If I may ask (for the sake of group learning):

Where were you?

Were you flown out or ground transported?

Did you contact 911 via cell or satellite phone?

It was a decent one

I was doing the TAT, we were in Colorado in the middle of nowhere.  My bike at the time (wr250r) was overloaded and the lack poor quality rebound control of the rear shock was a bad combination.  We were going down a gravel road and the bike got into a nasty wobble.  We’re we’re pretty high elevation at I did not have enough motor to accelerate out of it.  My GPS was recording our track which is how I know what speed I got tossed off at.  
anyways there was no cell service, we had a spot on us but luckily a ranger happen to see the dust bomb when I went down and drove over.  She called in and said an ambulance was 2 hrs away.   That’s when I said screw it and set my shoulder laying there. From riding MX tracks I’ve helped set a few shoulders so knowing just how tight the injured shoulder would be after 2 hrs and I had adrenaline pumping through me, so I figured might as well.   

I spent a couple days in the hospital until my O2 levels stabilized. I also fought with them because they wanted to remove my spleen. So luckily the internal bleeding stopped and I got to keep it. 

We had an RV so I rode home in that. The hospital was in Gunnison Colorado.

I was back on my street bike 10 days after that because I already paid for a chuckwalla track day.   It hurt lots and I remember in a turn my shoulder popped out then it went back in on the straight.   @Rjg967 was with me that day.     I’m an extremely stubborn person.  Smart?? Probably not so much lol

• Like 2

Glad you're recovering, and further glad you accurately self-diagnosed and was able to get some immediate relief.

Just a word of caution to others- not all shoulder injuries are dislocations. Several years ago, a rider fell in a group I was leading- he was in tremendous pain and getting shocky. The general consensus among the expert onlookers was the shoulder "needed to be popped back in" (because movies, right?).

Fortunately, I suspected something more complicated, and the poor guy had to suffer until airlift and hospital. Xrays showed the ball of the ball and socket was completely broken off.

Imagine what could have happened if a buncha guys had started yanking on THAT.

• Sad 1

Not what I was expecting when I clicked the thread title...

Axe created for the execution of the Cato Street conspiracy ringleaders |  The British Library

14 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

It was a decent one

I was doing the TAT, we were in Colorado in the middle of nowhere.  My bike at the time (wr250r) was overloaded and the lack poor quality rebound control of the rear shock was a bad combination.  We were going down a gravel road and the bike got into a nasty wobble.  We’re we’re pretty high elevation at I did not have enough motor to accelerate out of it.  My GPS was recording our track which is how I know what speed I got tossed off at.  
anyways there was no cell service, we had a spot on us but luckily a ranger happen to see the dust bomb when I went down and drove over.  She called in and said an ambulance was 2 hrs away.   That’s when I said screw it and set my shoulder laying there. From riding MX tracks I’ve helped set a few shoulders so knowing just how tight the injured shoulder would be after 2 hrs and I had adrenaline pumping through me, so I figured might as well.   

I spent a couple days in the hospital until my O2 levels stabilized. I also fought with them because they wanted to remove my spleen. So luckily the internal bleeding stopped and I got to keep it. 

We had an RV so I rode home in that. The hospital was in Gunnison Colorado.

I was back on my street bike 10 days after that because I already paid for a chuckwalla track day.   It hurt lots and I remember in a turn my shoulder popped out then it went back in on the straight.   @Rjg967 was with me that day.     I’m an extremely stubborn person.  Smart?? Probably not so much lol

Yikes. Definitely nice to see that you’ve recovered and are back riding. I assume a broken rip caused the pieced lung? That must not have been fun at elevation in thin air damn.

How was the ground transport along the bumpy road? Woof

About the trip itself: Do you have a RR? Did you start the TAT out east? Which route? The TAT is certainly a bucket list type ride.

Thanks for sharing and good on ya to have the Spot tracker as a backup!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Glad you're recovering, and further glad you accurately self-diagnosed and was able to get some immediate relief.

Just a word of caution to others- not all shoulder injuries are dislocations. Several years ago, a rider fell in a group I was leading- he was in tremendous pain and getting shocky. The general consensus among the expert onlookers was the shoulder "needed to be popped back in" (because movies, right?).

Fortunately, I suspected something more complicated, and the poor guy had to suffer until airlift and hospital. Xrays showed the ball of the ball and socket was completely broken off.

Imagine what could have happened if a buncha guys had started yanking on THAT.

There’s nothing funny about a broken humerus!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

There’s nothing funny about a broken humerus!

DOH!

On 5/1/2023 at 10:22 AM, DSM8 said:

Not what I was expecting when I clicked the thread title...

Axe created for the execution of the Cato Street conspiracy ringleaders |  The British Library

Yeah, sorry I kinda hijacked the threat.  The helmet emergency brought back a significant memory

55 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

Yeah, sorry I kinda hijacked the threat.  The helmet emergency brought back a significant memory

Ah good sir, I believe Mr @DSM8 was merely suggesting a more efficient way if removing one’s helmet haha

One hitter Quitter default_axehead.png

Your crash story and helmet convo are pertinent. The 2 hour wait time is an unfortunate reality of remote area riding - and a ranger witness your crash! Imagine the extra delay if the ranger wasn’t there and you didn’t have a satellite communicator. Thanks for sharing your story. 

Were you ground transported to the hospital? 

32 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Ah good sir, I believe Mr @DSM8 was merely suggesting a more efficient way if removing one’s helmet haha

One hitter Quitter default_axehead.png

Your crash story and helmet convo are pertinent. The 2 hour wait time is an unfortunate reality of remote area riding - and a ranger witness your crash! Imagine the extra delay if the ranger wasn’t there and you didn’t have a satellite communicator. Thanks for sharing your story. 

Were you ground transported to the hospital? 

Oh yeah, that's one way to get the helmet off lol

I was ground transported.  Bumpy painful ride.  Yeah the delay would have been quit a bit longer for sure

Sometimes my humor is lost on you people...

😃

18 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

All I know is I want that axe!