A 2

Dunlop Trailmax Missions

Stopped over to see Eric at 8Ball in Esco yesterday. Let’s see how they do.

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

• Agree 1

Had those on my F800GSA for a couple sets, and my wife has had them on her 950 for 6k or so, fantastic 50:50 tires 🤙🏻

Found a few reviews online and on this site. Looking forward to testing them out. The previous owner had a set of motoz tractionators. Too aggressive for my riding habits. Kept them in case I plan a hardcore off road trip.

• Like 1

When you say Tractionator, which model?  There are 4. 

On 4/22/2023 at 8:38 PM, A 2 said:

Too aggressive for my riding habits. Kept them in case I plan a hardcore off road trip.

One day when I grow up and have a 2nd set of rims for my 690, one of those sets will probably just permanently have the Trailmax Missions for the more road bias adv riding type days, which saves my knobs while the other will permanently have the MotoZ Desert H/T's for the skinny bike people dirty dezzy days - that would be a dream setup for me anyway. 

14 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

One day when I grow up and have a 2nd set of rims for my 690, one of those sets will probably just permanently have the Trailmax Missions for the more road bias adv riding type days, which saves my knobs while the other will permanently have the MotoZ Desert H/T's for the skinny bike people dirty dezzy days - that would be a dream setup for me anyway. 

Your dream is one credit card swipe away!

19% interest pssshhh

• Haha 1

I have mixed feelings about the TMMs.  I dislike them on the road.  Yeh they stick as well as the next tire does, but they feel VERY heavy and slow to me.  I have to work the bike a lot more on, for example, Banner grade to flick the bike over between corners.  They literally slow me down, versus a tire that wants to fall into the turn.  My Motoz RallyZ or Adventure rear with  the Dual Venture front are infinitely more fun on the pavement, and stick every bit as well (maybe better?).  Yes, Motoz is louder.  I couldn't care less as I'm wearing earplugs on pavement anyway.

They are not impressive off road either (compared to other options).  I've had to ride a number of clients bikes out of the sands in Baja (like the road to Mikes Sky Ranch) shod with these tires.  It helps to air them down to 30/30 in sand.  A little.  But God help anyone caught in the rain (mud) with these things!

Again, this is a highly personal opinion, every bit as volatile as an oil discussion. So take this with a handful of salt.  I don't think this tire excels at anything except high milage.  But there are TONS of reviews stating just the opposite.

A few months ago I put a set of these on my spare (road) wheel set and took them on our normal county favorite trails, and roads, and then down for a couple days in Baja.  I went to scout some trails that I'd heard were in pretty tough shape due to winter rains and storms.  I did not air down, but ran OEM pressures of 36/42 on my 1250GS.  I got there and back just fine.  And fortunately didn't encounter any sand that a sand-noob couldn't ride anyway.  They worked just fine . But I would never buy or recommend a set of these for what we call general off road riding.  Not here in the South West.

My son is running the MotoZ GPS right now.  It's what I would suggest as a similar category tire.  Folks seem to get 10,000 miles out of them on their big bikes.  I'll probably throw a set of those on the street wheels after I use up a little more of the TMMs.

Ultimately it's about the rider, not the tires.  But it's sure nice to have a tire that helps you when things get a little wonkey instead of holding you back.

36 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I dislike them on the road. 

Interesting, I love them on-road - I also mount them myself and found the front in particular to be very light compared to harder rubber tires, and easy to spoon on. That being said the front I used is much different than yours as it was 90/90/21" and there is tread differences between the GS sized front, and the 21" so who knows :) As for the off-road - it's a 50:50 tire so it's likely important to put real knobs on when doing things like sand anyway haha. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

That's another factor that gets ignored on tire threads.  Same tire in different sizes on different bikes can handle completely different.  Thus adding to confusion.

My personal bottom line is, buy and try them all.  Your bikes will change, and your skills and needs will change over time.  It's not a cheap experiment, but just like bikes, there is no perfect tire.  Just a perfect for right now tire (perhaps).

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Zubb said:

When you say Tractionator, which model?  There are 4. 

They are the RallZ. Very aggressive tire. Loud and buzzy on the highway. 

Today I really got on the TrailMax Mission on the back streets and highway burning off the factory coating. Sticky on the tarmac and loose gravel. Turn is seems quick but that’s compared to the flattened out MotoZ. What a difference in noise and comfort. So far pretty happy. Next test gravel roads.

Edit: for reference they are on my triumph tiger 800xcx.

Edited by A 2
  • Like 2