Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Caselli Foundation - Riders 1st Responders First Aid Class

It's time for a refresher for me.  I took the survey.  No link there to actually get signed up though.  Hope they reply with registration info.  $25 for certification and lunch .... sounds like a fun day when you add the ride up and back.

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

It's time for a refresher for me.  I took the survey.  No link there to actually get signed up though.  Hope they reply with registration info.  $25 for certification and lunch .... sounds like a fun day when you add the ride up and back.

Awesome! Keep us posted on what they say. 

I wonder between us and the broader ADV socal groups if there would be enough interest to book a class.

I might reach out to Joel. @DSM8 do you think enough people may be into it?

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

I wonder between us and the broader ADV socal groups if there would be enough interest to book a class.

I might reach out to Joel. @DSM8 do you think enough people may be into it?

I would be game

Speaking of first aid . . . .

Start at about 10:40mins.  

Comments overheard...

"The lights are on but nobody's home"

"The hamsters running the wheel but nothing else is happening"

One thing they could have done to secure the scene is to park several bikes across the trail to force traffic away.  In ski patrol we would cross a pair of skis into a big letter X above the victim to keep skiers/boarders from plowing into and through the crash scene.

Watching this I was concerned about them not isolating the head neck and spine.  Method of injury would indicate that he could easily have spinal damage.  

Then we find that he had a compression fracture to C7.  No surprise really.  The protocol we used in Patrol would have been to completely stabilize/immobilize the head/neck IN the helmet until more was known. NEVER EVER remove a victim's helmet unless you are certified in helmet removal.  Yes  It is a thing with a very specific process and it takes 2 people who know exactly what they are doing.  

This is not meant as a criticism of how they managed the scene, it is meant as a public service announcement to my fellow riders here.

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

🙁

There may be something brewing with the adv noob crew though!

• Added To My Bucket List 1

9 hours ago, Zubb said:

Speaking of first aid . . . .

Start at about 10:40mins.  

@Zubb I don’t know of this guy but he identified himself as a medic. If you follow him, do you know what he means by that?

Of note: the hour timeframe for resources to scene

• Like 1

Thanks for this @Goofy Footer!

I made a $25 donation and added their link to my calendar, but I'm not sure if I have actually registered or not. I guess I can always just turn up and demand to speak to the manager 😀

• Haha 1

Nice drone footage 4:15

Rider down 4:35

Some good discussion and follow-up post incident. The fundraiser is likely over as this occurred 4 years ago.

The extent / severity of injuries aren’t always apparent. Compare the post accident disposition of the 2 riders (the one here and one in @Zubb’s Meerkat video).

Having a chase vehicle / camp truck can at times, expedite certain recoveries. @Zubb @shutterrev @SlowpokeShorty @DSM8 what are your thoughts?

Having a capable recovery vehicle nearby is an advantage for sure, I've driven my former Jeep from Imperial Beach out to Oriflamme during a weekday to winch an extremely stuck 1200GSA on street tires out of the rocks, I'm sure a closer by recovery vehicle would have been pleasurable for the very warm rider(s) waiting. Closer by recovery vehicles also prevent waiting outside Dairy Queen in Anza for hours, for a 4x4 that can do Baileys cabin, to recover an XR's with toasted clutches also... so I hear... ;) ... Along with the fact that if someone took the time to bring a recovery vehicle, it may also contain a more advanced first aid kit than what folks have strapped to their bikes etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shutterrev said:

I've driven my former Jeep from Imperial Beach out to Oriflamme during a weekday to winch an extremely stuck 1200GSA on street tires out of the rocks, I'm sure a closer by recovery vehicle would have been pleasurable for the very warm rider(s) waiting. Closer by recovery vehicles also prevent waiting outside Dairy Queen in Anza for hours, for a 4x4 that can do Baileys cabin, to recover an XR's with toasted clutches also... so I hear... ;) ... 

Why do I remember both of these examples so vividly??

• Haha 1

Recovery vehicles are the “Best”. 
we do tours both with and without a chase truck. Small groups do not have the funds to pay for a chase vehicle. Truck/ gas / driver/ food- lodging. Think about it. What does that cost?

small groups may opt to go without the truck based on $$. 
Having a truck solves a LOT of trouble. I’ve run many tours with both methods. Of course having a truck is best. And price reflects that. 
When we need a truck and don’t have one …. There are other options that come into play. 

We always have recovery vehicle for noobs in Death Valley due to size we tend to have several for coverage 

radios and sat fone use for comms

• Like 1

We have a network we call upon in the few times we have a small private tour. For example. I may have a private tour of three guys that don’t want to pay for a chase truck over 1,000 miles. Our network comes into play when needed. 

• Like 1

@Goofy Footer I don't know his medical background but I too noticed he said medic.  He's a fairly popular YouTuber is all I know.  

EDIT: I just rewatched the vid I shared and noticed there are a lot of film cuts, so he might have spent a lot more time checking and assessing during the process. 

Edited by Zubb

The Everide story above highlights something I've seen numerous times over the years.  Watch the bystanders/other riders closely.  Adrenaline hits them and they ride, drive, run off to get help and aren't thinking calmly and thus can add drama/trauma to the scene.  Everide was hauling arse to get help and broke his own ribs in the process.

I watched a guy once that accompanied an injured person back out of the woods.  It was 5 hours after the incident, so plenty of time to see the victim was NOT dieing.  But when we got to the closest vehicle we loaded the injured person into the car and the driver hit the gas so hard to "get to the hospital" that he literally spun the rear tire off the car!!! Thus adding another 45 minutes to get the tire changed and proceed to the hospital.

You never know who is acting on adrenaline.  You need to watch people closely and assess more than just the victim.

9 hours ago, Zubb said:

Our network comes into play when needed. 

And everyone in this forum has a shake & bake network to reach out to for things like this, SDAR!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Having a capable recovery vehicle nearby is an advantage for sure, I've driven my former Jeep from Imperial Beach out to Oriflamme during a weekday to winch an extremely stuck 1200GSA on street tires out of the rocks, I'm sure a closer by recovery vehicle would have been pleasurable for the very warm rider(s) waiting. Closer by recovery vehicles also prevent waiting outside Dairy Queen in Anza for hours, for a 4x4 that can do Baileys cabin, to recover an XR's with toasted clutches also... so I hear... ;) ... Along with the fact that if someone took the time to bring a recovery vehicle, it may also contain a more advanced first aid kit than what folks have strapped to their bikes etc. 

Yikes WHO burns a clutch on an ultra reliable Honda XR??

What a madman he must be!

13 hours ago, Zubb said:

Recovery vehicles are the “Best”. 
we do tours both with and without a chase truck. Small groups do not have the funds to pay for a chase vehicle. Truck/ gas / driver/ food- lodging. Think about it. What does that cost?

small groups may opt to go without the truck based on $$. 
Having a truck solves a LOT of trouble. I’ve run many tours with both methods. Of course having a truck is best. And price reflects that. 
When we need a truck and don’t have one …. There are other options that come into play. 

The farther away the tour the longer the delay.

In your tour riding, how many bike recoveries vs medical emergency recoveries have you had?

I’m looking for more concrete #s as to the actual deployments. Just trying to get a realistic grasp on practicality of chase truck vs friend’s truck parked at home. Thanks for any specifics.