bboyle9

525 Seat - Asking the 525 gurus

So I'm an idiot, some of you know this better than others. 

My OG Enduro Engineering tall comfort seat blew off somewhere between Santa Monica and Mission Hills. I haven't taken the seat of in probably a year, and have ridden it multiple times since then but that's no longer important. 

I have an 07 XC-W( i think, vin says this but might be mxc? who knows) with the OEM oversize tank.

Seat concepts makes it very clear that their seat will not fit with the OEM oversized tank. Enduro engineering doesnt make 525 seats any more, and I could order an OEM one but in the OEM diagrams it displays the stock tank not the oversized tank.

Who's ever ran this tank and what seat are you using?

Pic for reference

upload_2023-4-14_11-6-11.png

Edited by bboyle9

Im def no guru but I do have this tank on a 2006 525 and have used it both with stock 2006 seat and seat concept as well. Here is a pic is with the 2006 seat concept. 

8BA2A5E5-6810-4DAF-B752-B85FE57F618B.jpeg

3118F8BD-943D-4662-9A4A-3D25D0E79D87.jpeg

Edited by kato

The MXC/EXC difference was a minor fitment issue- the tanks/seats were basically interchangeable, but one or the other had an odd gap where the tank meets the seat.

The MXC was a great bike- it had to do with the close-ratio transmission- each gear was within 20% of the engine RPM, so the gaps between gears were very smooth and the bike stayed in its power range. at all times. The problem was the overall gearing was set with the countershaft/rear sprocket- one could set the entire gear range higher or lower- but they still remained clustered within 20% of each other- does that make sense?

But.

I believe the MXC was in 02, 03, 04 or MAYBE 05 so you're likely to have an EXC- and that's good. The big difference is if it's a two-bolt seat (has two little brackets on the seat near the back) or a single-bolt seat (one bolt through the fender near the tire and into a threaded boss built into the seat. I believe they're all the same from 05-07 (single bolt style). Plenty of foam and cover options from Seat Concepts, Guts and other aftermarket suppliers if you can get the seat pan. All you need is a pneumatic staple gun to install- or know a neighbor who has one.

Thanks for the help, in retrospect the enduro engineering seat it had always took some coercion to fit. 

Its the single bolt style so sounds like if i go EXC pan I should be good?

1 hour ago, bboyle9 said:

Thanks for the help, in retrospect the enduro engineering seat it had always took some coercion to fit. 

Its the single bolt style so sounds like if i go EXC pan I should be good?

I believe so,  yes.

Probably.

Maybe.

At least that's where I'd start....

E-Bay is always there lurking as well. I still cannot believe all the obscure moto stuff I find on E-Bay (worldwide)

2 hours ago, robertaccio said:

E-Bay is always there lurking as well. I still cannot believe all the obscure moto stuff I find on E-Bay (worldwide)

Vintage husabergs require worldwide shopping!

I have found parts for an older bike of mine in Japan and Australia but shipping is often pricey 

• Like 1

I have three seats one is for your tank which i never use since i got the safari one

what i dont recall is which one i need to use with the 7gal tank

bring your bike over we can figure it out and if its not needed for my big tank we can work something out

it already has the SC kit in it

I have a stock 06 seat off an exc 525 in my garage. I’d part with for a 6 pack of IPA.

i might even have an enduro engineering’s cover and foam.

Edited by Covered in Dust

Stock EXC and Seat Concepts EXC with the Valdez.

Stock with the MXC. As mentioned it is just a gap thing. I hated the Fugly gap so i shelved the MXC tank for a Clarke.

00n0n_allzI66mq04z_0gw0co_1200x900.thumb.jpg.045bf69600cd467e84af0a08e502cb11.jpg 

00e0e_lA0XVQbKoE1z_0CI0ox_1200x900.thumb.jpg.049abbb6cfe51edcdd68c0fedfe20889.jpg

I have three tanks.

The exc tank has it's own seat
The Acerbis and Safari use the same seat.

Difference is in the spacing and the pan of the exc has a more material and seems to be at a different angle on the front slope vs. the others but it can be make to work, your just deforming the seat pan more than some would like, and dealing with the gap you see in the above pic at the front part of the seat