On 4/26/2023 at 8:35 PM, Joemerica said:

North end of McCain Valley Road there is a little known campground called Cottonwood. Before the rain there is a passable single track near there down to the valley and S2. I've never been down but I'm curious. Likely beyond my riding abilities. That camp ground would be fun for an SDAR meet/camp. Almost no one goes back that far.  Ton of single track around McCain.

Just a word to the wise.  Cottonwood campground has a lot of equestrians camping there.  Some motorcyclists camp back there from time to time, but probably not a good mix of bikes and horses.  If somebody complains, you know who will probably lose the argument.

Should probably not discuss trails specific to this area on a public forum.  Just sayin'....

A friend tried making it to the valley floor but  nearly died and had to have his (and 2 other) motorcycles airlifted out by helicopter.  

10 hours ago, Bubbagums said:

A friend tried making it to the valley floor but  nearly died and had to have his (and 2 other) motorcycles airlifted out by helicopter.  

Phantom Canyon article way back in the early 2000s.  I know the exact trail and spot.

http://www.dirtfocus.com/photos2003/09-28_MacCain/mccain_index.htm

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 9:18 PM, Avisan said:

I know a few people who tried getting from McCain across to S2 unsuccessfully. And I know zero people who made it across. 

Done it multiple times if you know the right trail it's not bad but it's a one way. 

100% illegal and I have been stopped by a ranger before there so don't do it it's heavily patrolled especially in a certain mating season 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Biker Jones said:

Wow. What a story and good reminder to be prepared and let folks know where you plan to go.

And well, maybe be cautious about riding the desert in the heat of summer - the high was 102F that day.

Guys , No illegal riding. Please don't do it (without contacting me first) . 

I do not condone illegally riding especially in the desert or mountains . 

That story should be required reading for all riders here in the S.W.  
One mechanical, from one bike can change everyone’s fate, as the groups water supply drains away while they sit in the sun, waiting. .  .  .