SpaceCowboy

An (un)holy union

are you using mineral oil for the clutch or does it take brake fluid.

It the oil replace it with 1.5 weight fork oil.
Stands up to the heat WAY better than the mineral oil.
If brake fluid just flush it annually.

Also they used to be some protectors for the bottom of the forks if you can find them worth it to protect the gobblers

7 hours ago, DSM8 said:

are you using mineral oil for the clutch or does it take brake fluid.

It the oil replace it with 1.5 weight fork oil.
Stands up to the heat WAY better than the mineral oil.
If brake fluid just flush it annually.

Brake fluid all around. I like the idea of the fork oil for the mineral oil bikes, I've had a few katooms I coul've used that. 

7 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Also they used to be some protectors for the bottom of the forks if you can find them worth it to protect the gobblers

I've been eyeing plastic or aluminum lug protectors, but the gobblers stick out ~1/2" from the bottom of the fork and I don't think any lug protectors will work for that. The gobblers are pretty solid aluminum and I figure S101 would have heard about any problems with damage if there were any. They might get beat up, but I doubt I'll actually break them. I'll keep ya'll posted either way. 2 days of rocky big bear and they're still working and adjusting just fine. Should know more this coming weekend. 

Anyone know of a lug protector that will work?

15 hours ago, SpaceCowboy said:

I've been eyeing plastic or aluminum lug protectors, but the gobblers stick out ~1/2" from the bottom of the fork and I don't think any lug protectors will work for that. The gobblers are pretty solid aluminum and I figure S101 would have heard about any problems with damage if there were any. They might get beat up, but I doubt I'll actually break them. I'll keep ya'll posted either way. 2 days of rocky big bear and they're still working and adjusting just fine. Should know more this coming weekend. 

Anyone know of a lug protector that will work?

I have been looking at mine and am thinking about fabbing something up, it doesn't have to be bullet proof just enough to have something between rock and hard place.

Good project for someone with a handheld scanner and 3d printer.

I will have to make mine out of AL, well just because

8 hours ago, DSM8 said:

I have been looking at mine and am thinking about fabbing something up, it doesn't have to be bullet proof just enough to have something between rock and hard place.

Good project for someone with a handheld scanner and 3d printer.

I will have to make mine out of AL, well just because

You know I have a printer and some CF PETG...

Do you think the versions that stick out have the same dimensions as the ones that are buried?

IMG_20230305_201812.thumb.jpg.95d501b20c2103fbede5ad4c255c7db9.jpg
I have them on the WP48 OC forks on the Harley and I was considering making some covers, but they're fairly well protected. I'd only cover them to keep grit out of the adjusters, especially the teeny 3mm low speed.

I was thinking 8mm hex plug and a flange that covers the face.

For your stickout version, you could do just a printed cap. Or you could just caveman it on the lathe and do a cap with an internal oring groove for retention.

Or you could just text me some dimensions and we can try something...

I will have to take a look at mine I dont know if they are recessed, flush or proud of the tub surface.

It looks like on the 525 they are just slightly recessed in the bottom of the fork, not a whole lot of space but a cover that went over the bottom of the fork would be good enough for protecting it

IMG_5261.jpeg

IMG_5262.jpeg

I still would like to get some lug protectors on these things, but been riding since without issue (so far). Bike's been great. Oil changes, air filters, and one battery jump after I left the key on overnight. Removed the kick stand after bending it on a tip over. Plastic melts just behind the frame spar on the exhaust and sometimes gets on my boot. 

IMG_2255.thumb.JPEG.797073eac103eadd295284a14667463f.JPEG

Edited by SpaceCowboy
  • Like 2