cmbthumper

Yamaha TW200 by cmbthumper

Not really a build but i will be doing some modifications from time to time.

I don't have cold weather gear so i piled on what i had and probably looked like the kid from Christmas Story but finally the weather kinda broke so i had to give my TW it's first ride to see what is what. Of course, the 3 local riding area gates were closed so no dirt just street. I was able to take it on Black Canyon Road which is a maintained dirt road but it is normally like riding on marbles. I knew it would be badly damaged from the storms so i took it anyway. Only 34miles but i got the idea. All i can say is Wow i haven't had this kinda fun under 55mph on two wheels in forever. She is definitely a keeper.

Mods Done So Far:
Ricochet Skid Plate
Tusk Rack
Pelican 1450 Case i had lying around

Parts Ordered after the ride:
Progressive Fork Springs 11-1120
Race Tech Gold Valve Fork Cartridge Emulator #FEGV 3301
Maxima Fork Oil 15W 16 oz.
Baron Performance Springs - BA-8523RD

I took a video that i am editing now but will post it up on YouTube once i am done. Bad thing is that i grabbed the wrong battery so it will be a shorter one with very little of the Dirt section.

20230305_121954.thumb.jpg.3c71c327100ef6eff5faf8d2e6caf71e.jpg

20230305_122216.thumb.jpg.f14cb8b4a47a8a682922ac0e26c3c236.jpg

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Like 2

Those things are super fun, a friend brought one to a moto event up in the Mojave last year and we were doing runs through a whoop field and it was a knee slapper. I'd love to have one one day as the loaner trail / fart around town bike for visiting friends. 

Edited by shutterrev

54 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Those things are super fun, a friend brought one to a moto event up in the Mojave last year and we were doing runs through a whoop field and it was a knee slapper. I'd love to have one one day as the loaner trail / fart around town bike for visiting friends. 

That is why i bought it even though i have fun on anything with 2 wheels. Something to just fart around on locally and a fun errand bike. 

33 minutes ago, Riggerdan said:

Looking good

How do you like the Tusk rack?

Thank you.

For the $$ i really like it so far. I have nothing to compare it to though. Some QC issues like weld splatter and square edges that needed a little file work but again for the $$ i couldn't replicate it. The directions are good but being a copy of a copy the pictures sucked. The rack is designed to have the passenger pegs but I deleted mine so i made up some Aluminum spacers to take up the space. The hardware is what it is and i usually change it out but i used what came with it for now. The exhaust bolt was too short for my liking so i changed that out from a 35mm to a 40mm. All the OEM bolts i took off that weren't used i put in a plastic storage bin for spares.

@cmbthumper look into the Jimbo Shield / screen. It’s a small windscreen by a guy in Bonita, they fit perfect and look good. Highly recommended. Not sure if he is still around but if so, it’s a solid buy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

@cmbthumper look into the Jimbo Shield / screen. It’s a small windscreen by a guy in Bonita, they fit perfect and look good. Highly recommended. Not sure if he is still around but if so, it’s a solid buy

Thank you. Had to look it up of course. Cool looking shield but for a bike that goes 55mph I'll put it on the bottom of the list of upgrades.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cmbthumper said:

Thank you. Had to look it up of course. Cool looking shield but for a bike that goes 55mph I'll put it on the bottom of the list of upgrades.

I liked mine on the bike. It fit’s perfect and helped. 

the trap of the TW is you’ll be tempted to start taking it on bigger and bigger adventures just because you Can!

Guys have done Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000’s on them. It makes for a nice mellow camping bike too.

• Like 1

There is a mod that uses a shock off a quad I think it is a heavier duty one that the stock and has more features.
I looked into it when my wife had one as it could be lowered.
I dont recall the details.

51 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

There is a mod that uses a shock off a quad I think it is a heavier duty one that the stock and has more features.
I looked into it when my wife had one as it could be lowered.
I dont recall the details.

Correct from what i found so far.

Yamaha Banshee Rear Shock - Direct Bolt On. Spring rate is a guess. Haven't found a good example yet but on the lookout for one.

Yamaha R6 - Needs 3/4" plates welded as it is too short. The 03' is a remote reservoir and eliminates the headache of mounting a shock upside-down

Yamaha V-Star - Direct Bolt On if you want a lower TW.

Marvin Shaw has an option but it uses HP Nitrogen 260psi+ as it's rebound and dampening. If it needs some tweaks you need to send it back to them. but it is like $300

Most other mfg quad shocks and newer models are too long (Yamaha Raptor, Honda 450 etc).

Even a good used Yamaha Banshee shock will need to be serviced due to the age. With a spring your into it for about $350-400. 

For now all i will do is the spring on the shock as a Cogent shock is like $800.

Edited by cmbthumper

Nice bike. I was looking at the TW but ultimately ended up with a used XT250. These little bikes are like mules; slow and steady. I hope to get out on some of these fire roads when the temps and weather gets a little better. Ride on!

• Like 1

Small bike only ride, I like it. Let’s get it on the calendar.

17 minutes ago, A 2 said:

Small bike only ride, I like it. Let’s get it on the calendar.

Paging @tntmo

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:36 AM, cmbthumper said:

Correct from what i found so far.

Yamaha Banshee Rear Shock - Direct Bolt On. Spring rate is a guess. Haven't found a good example yet but on the lookout for one.

Yamaha R6 - Needs 3/4" plates welded as it is too short. The 03' is a remote reservoir and eliminates the headache of mounting a shock upside-down

Yamaha V-Star - Direct Bolt On if you want a lower TW.

Marvin Shaw has an option but it uses HP Nitrogen 260psi+ as it's rebound and dampening. If it needs some tweaks you need to send it back to them. but it is like $300

Most other mfg quad shocks and newer models are too long (Yamaha Raptor, Honda 450 etc).

Even a good used Yamaha Banshee shock will need to be serviced due to the age. With a spring your into it for about $350-400. 

For now all i will do is the spring on the shock as a Cogent shock is like $800.

If you buy the spring from RaceTech for the banshee shock, take the shock and spring to a shop and have them rebuild it it'll be about $150-200.

I will vouch for the quality of cogent dynamics. I have full cogent on my KLR650 and the thing floats. I ride it far more aggressive than I really should. I have the Moab adventure rear shock, so no external reservoir, and I took that bike through McCain valley chasing @Pokey151 on his KTM300. Only after a particularly rough section did I notice the lack of rebound due to heated fluid.

Edited by Rjg967
Voice to text betrayed me
  • Like 2