SlowpokeShorty

First Aid 2023

I see the topics in this sub-forum are quite old, so I'm starting a new one.

I was out on a road ride yesterday with a bunch of other guys/gals and one of our number came off. Fortunately neither he nor his passenger were badly hurt, but the wind was definitely knocked out of them and they were kind of disoriented for about 20 mins. We called it in, and the paramedics did a great job of assessing them and making a sling for the lady's arm. A close call but no worse than that.

I realized that all I (and the rest of the group) could do was be well-intentioned, call it in, manage traffic around the scene and get out of the way of the first responders. I wouldn't have been able to provide any aid in the 15 minutes or so it took of the paramedics to arrive. If real injuries occurred,  none of us could have done much more than watch, and we'd probably make it worse. Are there any classes around here for first aid?

Edited by SlowpokeShorty
typo
  • Like 1

If anyone knows someone willing to put on a class for the club, lemme know and we can arrange a class.

I'm going to check with someone I know.

• Like 1

Yes.  But I haven't researched where. 

Aside from standard stuff (insert your own definition here), I carry a sam splint, suture kit, super glue, and perhaps most import, an inReach with the magic red button that delivers a helicopter on demand. Top 2 items of importance here is the inReach and then the knowledge/training to handle the medical situation.  It also helps to have Goofy's phone number and a little cell signal.  His number starts with 911.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KTMrad said:

If anyone knows someone willing to put on a class for the club, lemme know and we can arrange a class.

I'm going to check with someone I know.

pretty much any first aid class is likely a good start.  Finding one that's focused on OEC (outdoor emergency care) would be much better, IMO as we can easily be dealing with speed related trauma.

Calling @Goofy Footer to the white phone please . . . . #RadnDoc are on hold for you.

• Like 1

Goofy Footer was very helpful when I needed help with that last emergency. 

He helped me get it sorted out quickly and became my logic when I didn't know how to coordinate the scene.

I was lost and scared for the injueruded person and then my phone rang . It was Goofy Footer and he straightened it all out and helped me calm down and organized the bike rescue..

Thanks goofy.

• Like 3

Is Goofy Footer certified ?

Edited by KTMrad

My personal first aid ideas come from really great annual week long courses I used to have to do with the guys, required by past job for work trips - Great problem solving in the field oriented trauma classes for all kinds of injuries from cuts and breaks to more serious mechanisms of injury, and field treatments. 

My individual first aid kit gets modular depending on the 5w’s of a ride, but the focus no matter what I’m bringing is on being able to get someone who is severely injured to a higher level of care successfully, secondarily on non critical comfort fixes to get back home. 

would likely be a good group discussion in person with people ‘showing their bags’ :) But I personally would help pay if we all wanted to as a group, hire a training group to come out and give a good day class on field trauma and care, as methods and tools are updated continuously. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

We did this at least once before, had an EMT do a class for us.

Will try to arrange a class again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

We did this at least once before, had an EMT do a class for us.

Will try to arrange a class again.

EMT is great, PJ, wilderness EMT’s, or navy corpsmen would be very applicable to the ‘we are away from van full of hospital gear and must fix with what we have’ type training. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

OK...I found a friend who rides, was an EMT for 21 years...plus he's a dualsporter and motorcycle nut !

You guys don't need certificates,  right ?

If not, he'd be happy to do it.

• Like 3

That would be great! I don't intend to be a paramedic, just not feel totally useless when something bad happens. Also happy to pay for training.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KTMrad said:

OK...I found a friend who rides, was an EMT for 21 years...plus he's a dualsporter and motorcycle nut !

You guys don't need certificates,  right ?

If not, he'd be happy to do it.

That sounds great @KTMrad

On 2/5/2023 at 9:54 AM, KTMrad said:

Is Goofy Footer certified ?

Works in the field fulltime.

• Like 1

Now we just need a place to hold the first aid class. Any ideas ?  It will probably be a few hours.

42 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Now we just need a place to hold the first aid class. Any ideas ?  It will probably be a few hours.

We could meet at a open space that is big bike friendly, along or at a ride destination. 
Just a thought, but examples could be: 
Lookout area at top of High Point TT
Palomar up at top of nate, or around there 
Somewhere along the Lost Valley Ride or at the indian flatts campground
Top of Black Mtn TT - Or shy of that where we had tacos at night ride 
I can go on but maybe a spot like those, etc could work. 

imho training for things that happen in the field, should be conducted in the field when possible - as I assume, location/people/bikes/gear/kits that we show up with would be what we have to work with in the real sich 👍

Edited by shutterrev

A classroom type place is probably best.  

25 minutes ago, tntmo said:

A classroom type place is probably best.  

I agree. It's going to be at least a 2 hour class and what if it's raining, cold and/or windy outside. Plus people may want to take notes, there may be handouts, etc.

Edited by KTMrad
  • Like 1

https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/courses/wilderness-first-aid-WFA/

Options are good. Quality training is good. Here is one ^^

This is a class that was brought up on advrider. One guy signed up for $300 as a REI member and said non-REI members are $350.

Attempting to replicate a vetted 16 hour course for SDAR members if quite a daunting task. This NOLS would have the equipment, curriculum and space to host a technical skills workshop class. Apparently it has a broad focus but the lessons learned are valuable for motorcycle first aid as well. Also recognizing heat injury, infection control etc are all important in the remote setting.

Just an option to consider

That sounds like a great class for $300, but we can do a basic class that would help on the trail for free.

Waiting for maybe April sometime.