SlowpokeShorty

Noob Clothing advice

Just ordered a HWK jacket pant set from Amazon. Figured I’d give it a try. Why so cheap? Am I going to get what I paid for?

514612DE-E9DA-4D3C-A88E-7E963FAB6B16.png

Edited by A 2
Photo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, A 2 said:

Just ordered a HWK jacket pant set from Amazon. Figured I’d give it a try. Why so cheap? Am I going to get what I paid for?

I have this set.  It’s good, not great….but it’s a step into the sport.  Don’t need to buy the most expensive stuff to go riding, I used a $200 riding suit for my Alaska adventure.  

• Like 1

We almost always get what we pay for. Not saying that we all need or want the high end of the spectrum. 
what’s cool is you can look it over and decide if you want to return it before riding in it. 
it may be perfect for you for a season or two, maybe even more. Would love your review of it after a bit of field testing and time. 

28 minutes ago, Zubb said:

We almost always get what we pay for. Not saying that we all need or want the high end of the spectrum. 
what’s cool is you can look it over and decide if you want to return it before riding in it. 
it may be perfect for you for a season or two, maybe even more. Would love your review of it after a bit of field testing and time. 

There are tons of reviews of this gear online, it’s been around for a few years.
 At the price point, it’s a miracle.  Good for riding in a bit of rain, I have not tested it on a six hour rain storm yet but not much will really work for that.  Cheap foam padding, I should upgrade that.  Venting is decent, not as much as I would like for summer riding but there’s a removable liner.  
It’s budget gear.  In the end, if it’s what you can afford and you’re riding, it’s better than showcasing your Klim gear and expensive ADV bike in your garage.

Ride!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I have this set.  It’s good, not great….but it’s a step into the sport.  Don’t need to buy the most expensive stuff to go riding, I used a $200 riding suit for my Alaska adventure.  

Tom, I met your Spirit Animal yesterday at breakfast near the intersection of Mex 5 and Mex 1. 
17218A17-E755-4A7B-B299-EE683348980D.thumb.jpeg.c9788f1c3cf6926a00f86e8b5d3e11c4.jpeg

She handed a hundred bucks to a guy in Todo Santos and he gave her the key to freedom (Mexico City). She can’t take the bike on the ferry without its documentation so she has to go up to San Felipe and around to the mainland. 
note her exquisite taste in adventure riding gear. 
She looked in her hand to see how many pesos she had. Bought what she could afford and is having a hell of a good time. 
4C5632E4-4F35-46C2-A3CA-90C392DA3C20.thumb.jpeg.ecef9e05b7c85f3b85a2e2618c761d35.jpeg

I gave her your phone number in case she breaks down. 🤣🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Good, all my friends get a 500 mile radius that I will rescue them.  More than 500 can be arranged.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

4C5632E4-4F35-46C2-A3CA-90C392DA3C20.thumb.jpeg.ecef9e05b7c85f3b85a2e2618c761d35.jpeg

🤣🤷‍♂️

Looks like she’s wearing standard A2 issued gear. Hahah. I wear those same overalls when I ride.

Edited by A 2
Reduce size
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, A 2 said:

wear or bring it with if you get it in time for the 18th

If your coming

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tntmo said:

Good, all my friends get a 500 mile radius that I will rescue them.  More than 500 can be arranged.

You are expanding!  I thought it was 100 miles. 
I still have you on speed dial.😁

39 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

wear or bring it with if you get it in time for the 18th

If your coming

Yeah, they should arrive tomorrow Dave. I hope I can make the 18th too.
Still can’t get over the fact that I can buy a pair of riding pants for less that an average pair of jeans. If these are half decent, I’m going to get a pair in every color.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A 2 said:

Yeah, they should arrive tomorrow Dave. I hope I can make the 18th too.
Still can’t get over the fact that I can buy a pair of riding pants for less that an average pair of jeans. If these are half decent, I’m going to get a pair in every color.

They are about exactly half decent.  I would suggest using these while you wait for some of these gear whores to sell their lightly used fancy suits when the new one comes out with 3.7% more venting.  You can really get some steals if you’re patient and have cash ready. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tntmo said:

They are about exactly half decent.  I would suggest using these while you wait for some of these gear whores to sell their lightly used fancy suits when the new one comes out with 3.7% more venting.  You can really get some steals if you’re patient and have cash ready. 

Stop looking at me when you say that. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

Stop looking at me when you say that. 

We were all looking at you

So far it looks like there are only 4 people that are showing up on the 18th, it's going to happen regardless but it looks like most of the gear that will be getting shown off is mine, regardless I can at least share with you what I have learned over the last 20 years from my time spent, commuting, dirt bike riding, adventure riding and general fukery on a motorcycle riding...

@DSM8, hopefully you get experienced riders to show up with gear to show off (bring it in their cage).  They've gone through the "learning curve" - their user experience might save us Noob's time and money.

I'll bring my Klim Carlsbad Jacket & Pants, a Moose Racing XC1 Body Armor shirt, gloves (to show - NOT sell)

I'm hoping others bring Body Armor shits/vest, light weigh riding gear (jacket/pants) so we can see/compare them before we buy.  I've seen that HWK gear online and someone on Youtube uses it - hope it comes, would love to see it up close.

THANKS for hosting this event!!!

Edited by J5ive
clarify
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, tntmo said:

+1

This is how I have most of my gear, and both of my bikes, used and at a good price! I couldn't afford all of this ---- otherwise :) 
Likewise, thanks for the used but great Tech 6 boots, and BMW Rallye2 Pants - Udo! 
Hence my hinting to do a gear swap meet for a while now, I do have some extra stuff that needs use and hopefully some new riders have a need :)

....That being said, the Marrakesh Jacket I did pay the full $325 price tag for when it came out *gasp*, I know, right? 
If I use my *handy* math sticks, and crunch the numbers across a few bikes.... I have worn the same Marrakesh for over 60,000 miles. 
If it gets dusty, or sweaty  I pull the D3 and give it a wash and hang it dry. The thing has no intention of becoming unserviceable any time soon, I'll be wearing it when my wife and I head out on the pasta rockets for a weekend of riding tomorrow, and I'll likely be wearing it on the 18th (with everything else in the pretty red boxes on my pretty red pasta rocket). I mention this example because cheap often has a cost, in that it gets repeated in shorter intervals, and I have been extremely happy with the return I got on my investment with that fancy "Khlimm" (I think there is 4 ways to pronounce it and I have no idea what is correct) jacket.

- Nick 

On 3/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, shutterrev said:

have been extremely happy with the return I got on my investment with that fancy "Khlimm" (I think there is 4 ways to pronounce it and I have no idea what is correct) jacket.

“Climb”

• Like 1

Mini update. 10 days in baja with my system as stated above (much like Shutterrevs). It is perfect for adventure travel from wind rain and snow travel to 80* sand dune battles. I met up with 3 expert level GS competitors yesterday for an hour in Yuma and realized all 4 of us were wearing Marrikesh. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Hey Dave, we'll be at your event on the 18th.

Oh forgot to tell you I moved....

🤣

• Haha 3

On 3/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, KTMrad said:

Hey Dave, we'll be at your event on the 18th.

You should be on the road to Timbuktu.

• Like 1

Hey All, was great seeing everyone and meeting a couple new people.

Dave DSM8 started off with a great talk about the 4 major types of riding gear setups, then it was great to hear everyone else's input too.

Thanks to all who showed up and thanks to Dave for hosting !

I had a great time and thought it was a good day !

• Like 2