SlowpokeShorty

Noob Clothing advice

34 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Weekend of March 11th or the 18th, if some people are doing the noobs rally might be good to do this before hand.

@Hawkins

@J5ive

@shutterrev

I'm up for either, but I'd prefer the 18th, since I am doin the n00bs rally and I haven't even starting prepping for it

13 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Yes!  Fashion Show at @DSM8's house!

@J5ive, @shutterrev, @Zubb, @spazegun2213, @SlowpokeShorty come dressed to impress

I'll make sure my jacket matches my gloves and boots*

*this actually goes through my mind when purchasing track gear 😂 

On 2/23/2023 at 12:24 PM, DSM8 said:

Weekend of March 11th or the 18th, if some people are doing the noobs rally might be good to do this before hand.

@Hawkins

@J5ive

@shutterrev

I'm good either weekend.   Let's get it on the books...

@Goofy Footer  where the heck did you find that video???  We're going to have to check your movie selections...most of us are into action, shoot'm ups and throw in a bike/car chase and we're happy.  But you...

Edited by J5ive
spelling

Fine lets book for the 18th.

I can accommodate the event no problem
Added to the calendar:

Please sign up so I can have a head count if enough interest we might fire up the grill, you will be charged only the cost of what I spend on the supplied, this is not a fund raising event.
If you have gear you want to sell feel free to bring it but it goes home with you, anything left behind goes to good will that evening.

For these Dualsport jackets offered by KLIM / Mosko Moto / Motoport etc I see a lot of shoulder, elbow and back pads but not much mention of front impact protection.

Why?

Not to minimize those areas but why not include front padding?  Handlebar impact to the chest, rib cage and abdomen can happen.  A GPS, stabilizer, mirror or random RAM mount ball to the sternum would suck.

@shutterrev & @Zubb does the KLIM Meerkat / Madagascar (spelling?) have any chest / kidney padding?

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

does the KLIM Meerkat / Madagascar (spelling?) have any chest / kidney padding?

Marrakesh, and yes - It does when I take the d3 out, and wear it as a really good abrasion layer over my Leatt separate armor setup.

As with anything, modularity is nice. I assume some folks take the back pad out all together and just run a back/chest separate rig underneath.
So many options for so many different rides one might be going on :) 

14 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Fine lets book for the 18th.

I can accommodate the event no problem
Added to the calendar:

Please sign up so I can have a head count if enough interest we might fire up the grill, you will be charged only the cost of what I spend on the supplied, this is not a fund raising event.
If you have gear you want to sell feel free to bring it but it goes home with you, anything left behind goes to good will that evening.

huh... I actually don't see it on the calendar? 

12 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Not to minimize those areas but why not include front padding?  Handlebar impact to the chest, rib cage and abdomen can happen.  A GPS, stabilizer, mirror or random RAM mount ball to the sternum would suck.

An astute observation, informed no doubt by field observation.

My Motoport has chest armor, BUT because it's a zip-up jacket, the armor is in two pieces, with nothing across the zipper area. And yes, I've considered it an Achilles Heel for that system. A powerful hit dead center in the sternum is not only dead-center but deadly.

The trade-off (for me) is that I consider the overarching threat on the street is abrasion, with impact protection secondary.

But yes, it is a compromise.

17 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

An astute observation, informed no doubt by field observation.

My Motoport has chest armor, BUT because it's a zip-up jacket, the armor is in two pieces, with nothing across the zipper area. And yes, I've considered it an Achilles Heel for that system. A powerful hit dead center in the sternum is not only dead-center but deadly.

The trade-off (for me) is that I consider the overarching threat on the street is abrasion, with impact protection secondary.

But yes, it is a compromise.

One thing I’ve noticed listening to riders:

Street riders want abrasion protection as they get ejected from the bike / lay the bike down and slide across the asphalt at speed.

Off road riders want impact protection when they crash into rocks, cactus and the bike itself.

DualSport riders fall between those depending on what / where they ride.

I agree it’s a compromise. That, and/or costly!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Street riders want abrasion protection as they get ejected from the bike / lay the bike down and slide across the asphalt at speed.

Off road riders want impact protection when they crash into rocks, cactus and the bike itself.

DualSport riders fall between those depending on what / where they ride.

In my pavement tests I've noticed that the areas of concern have been:
Shoulder / Elbow / Forearm impact 
Palms of your gloves take a real beating 
Pants on the sides, in the hip area. Have had a pocket knife act as a slider for me once, that was nice. 
Back, and sides get slid on. 
Personally will never own a modular helmet after seeing how cheese grated the visor/face of a helmet can get. 

Also fun fact, it takes about 12 feet (twelve, feet) of sliding on pavement, at 60mph - to go through your jeans. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

The Marakesh has to be seen and felt to be ‘believed’. It is amazing for what it’s designed for. 
some guys go light on the armor piece in exchange for comfort. Some go full NFL on it. Near the end of your long life you will probably have owned it all, tried it and found the balance that works for you and where you ride. 
I won’t be able to attend. And fo-shore won’t be sending my gear closet as David would surely toss it all at days end. Or maybe just swipe it and say he did. 🤣😉

Hopefully @shutterrev will be there and showcase his kit. I’ll be giving that setup 18 days of lived-in testing starting next week. Have high expectations that this will make me happy touring the great SW/Mex and beyond. Looks like I may get to test the rain piece too. 
Gear report to follow about the 3 or 4th week of March. 

5 hours ago, spazegun2213 said:

huh... I actually don't see it on the calendar? 

image.thumb.png.afe47607615a857569f1121834783f91.png

5 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Have had a pocket knife act as a slider for me once, that was nice. 

WOW...had the same thing happened to me.  I was rear-ended at an intersection, went sliding across the ground...like you, the knife in my pocket acted as a slider.  The clip was scrapped up, but it saved me a lot of pain.  Made me wonder if I should carry a knife in both pockets...

Edited by J5ive
  • Like 1

A pistol might work better. 😉😂

22 hours ago, Zubb said:

The Marakesh has to be seen and felt to be ‘believed’. It is amazing for what it’s designed for. 
some guys go light on the armor piece in exchange for comfort. Some go full NFL on it. Near the end of your long life you will probably have owned it all, tried it and found the balance that works for you and where you ride. 
I won’t be able to attend. And fo-shore won’t be sending my gear closet as David would surely toss it all at days end. Or maybe just swipe it and say he did. 🤣😉

Hopefully @shutterrev will be there and showcase his kit. I’ll be giving that setup 18 days of lived-in testing starting next week. Have high expectations that this will make me happy touring the great SW/Mex and beyond. Looks like I may get to test the rain piece too. 
Gear report to follow about the 3 or 4th week of March. 

If you don’t attend, who else will catwalk the 2023 Mosko line??

I will tell Pete you switched to Klim!

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:20 AM, Goofy Footer said:

If you don’t attend, who else will catwalk the 2023 Mosko line??

I will tell Pete you switched to Klim!

I’ll have to send in these guys. 

As for Pete …. While you have him, tell him to get cracken on a jacket with pockets for his prototype armor. 

Yes, I know this belongs in a different category, but since we're here talking about it- I have a Dianese Safety Jacket that I stopped using years ago.  Great piece of kit, tremendous spine protection. This one is either a xxl or xxxl and is a little small for me. Has a tear on one sleeve, but still fully functional.

If you can use it, it's yours. It would be kind of you to send a small donation of your choice to SDAR. Pickup in San Diego's Mission Hills.

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

Edited by paulmbowers

21 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Yes, I know this belongs in a different category, but since we're here talking about it- I have a Dianese Safety Jacket that I stopped using years ago.  Great piece of kit, tremendous spine protection. This one is either a xxl or xxxl and is a little small for me. Has a tear on one sleeve, but still fully functional.

If you can use it, it's yours. It would be kind of you to send a small donation of your choice to SDAR. Pickup in San Diego's Mission Hills.

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

That has been my goto armor for the summer for years, finally wore mine out last season.
Bring it with to the fashion show.

• Like 1

To those that might be thinking about attending, one of my neighbors is a long time sales rep for outdoor gear, she is going to put together a collection of base layers and shells that will be hanging on a rack.
All of the stuff is brand new and just looking to move it, jackets would be like $40 (usually go for well over 100).
Shirts would be like $20 for the long sleeve techy stuff for example.
Everything will be pretty much 80+% off the original pricing so good opportunity for people that are looking to get gear  to do so on the cheap.
I have no idea on what will be there I am just going to have it all present to anyone that might benefit from it.

Edited by DSM8
  • Like 4

On 2/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, Goofy Footer said:

What gives?

If it's good enough for the Hurricane, it's good enough for me

image.thumb.png.64a23f7ced2eafed04eb98afd32ff147.png

@J5ive, @Bub_Hannah, @tubebender, @tntmo do you remember this guy ^^

Do I remember that guy.....  holy crap, I idolized him.     Bought all his products too.

This be me at San Diego "Jack Murphy" stadium in 1983...amateur supecross.

f.JPG

Pete_SanDiego_amateur_supercross.jpg

b.JPG

e.JPG

Edited by Bub_Hannah
  • Like 2

Klim, etc make very high quality gear but come with a hefty price tag. Some recent new entries into the market look interesting. MSR (RMATV) has their new line of ADV gear that gets pretty good reviews. And Thor is releasing their new D30 equipped adventure line, Range.

MSR-Xplorer-Adventure-Gear (rockymountainatvmc.com)

Products – ThorMX