SlowpokeShorty

Noob Clothing advice

14 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

I went to buy a set of Crossfires and found them totally incompatible with my feet. This is not in any way to say they are bad boots, just that much like helmets the right boots are the ones that fit you. But as someone who had a lisfranc injury (shattered all five metatarsals) in a pair of steel-toe Doc Martens in my early twenties, I'll absolutely agree that boots are not the place to compromise on safety.

Your not alone. Sidi boots are notoriously bad in the toe box area. My crossfire 1 and 2's sucked, my Vertigo, ST and Mag1 all sucked in the toe box. Everywhere else were race level protections so i didn't care cause of the insane protection and comfort they provided.

EVERYBODY is different from head to toe so try it on or take a gamble in it not fitting.

19 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

I went to buy a set of Crossfires and found them totally incompatible with my feet. This is not in any way to say they are bad boots, just that much like helmets the right boots are the ones that fit you. But as someone who had a lisfranc injury (shattered all five metatarsals) in a pair of steel-toe Doc Martens in my early twenties, I'll absolutely agree that boots are not the place to compromise on safety.

There are two different types of SIDI Crossfires- the Crossfire TA (has steel cap on the toe) has a TON of room in the toebox. The SRS is a very narrow boot that are sized for leprechauns that are undoubtedly always after me lucky charms.

The SRS is the motocross-style with bolt-on soles. The TA needs to be taken to the guy in Encinitas.

@shutterrev what is this gear swap you speak of? I'd be down for that! 

My gear adventure starts off sliding face down on pavement with my left hand trapped under my torso. I had just taken a deposit for the sale of my first motorcycle and it was my last ride in the east coast spring (which is really just road construction season). I hit some loose pavement and the rest is history. 6 weeks of physical therapy to be able to move my hand again because the "leather" gloves I was wearing were never meant for actual protection. My jacket/helmet etc did their job but given I'm a keyboard jockey this put my livelihood in danger. After that I spent what I thought was crazy money on gear that fit and could survive anything. 

Shockingly enough, I still have most of that gear and have only replaced stuff that has worn out (or no longer fits).

~10 years later I happened to be able to work for bikebandit.com (way before they took peoples $ and closed) and was able to talk seriously about safety tech.

I have a full Rev'it Tornado 3 setup with their armor everywhere. It works well, but the pants don't fit over my TCX MX boots so I'm actually looking at replacing them.   

As an FYI Revzilla and Cyclegear are the same company, and you can easily head to a CG and try stuff on. I'm usually a Tall size and its nice to pop in there and then order it online (or when there is a sale, lol). 

53 minutes ago, spazegun2213 said:

@shutterrev what is this gear swap you speak of? I'd be down for that! 

I would too, I was kind of just tossing the idea out there. I know many of us likely have a bunch of extra gear we don't use, and wouldn't mind trading/giving away to other members. So if that's something folks would want to do... let's do it! 

Invest in training classes from professional riders to help prevent/mitigate crashing in the first place. This is the best gear in your moto package you can have. We are fortunate to have great local resources in this regard.

I will not comment on what gear to wear because I subscribe to the minimalist logic of unrestricted movement. Light weight and light colors.

I will say even all geared (and looking bulky) up Rally guys still have their gear allowances for quick unrestricted movement. Find good quality stuff that allows movement along with your own level of comfort/required protection. Light weight really is best for control and movement. 

• Like 1

You can have protection without bulk.

LINK

This product covers many options.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DSM8 said:

You can have protection without bulk.

LINK

This product covers many options.

very hi quality product line from Bohn 

in my moto world more in line with what these guys use. For heavier long distance riding ADV type stuff. CE rated padding in all the right places. For example my Fly racing chest protector with upper arm flaps is the CE rated one. 

Ricky Brabec Says He Will Return To Dakar Even Stronger | Cycle World

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Coming from a mostly road riding world, I've never worn armor that is separate from the jacket/pants (save for a HUGE back protector). Given the cost of MX jersey's and pants it actually seems like a deal to buy the armor you want, and then just put stuff over it. 

Given my current Rev'it pants dont fit over my boots, and don't really fit "in" them either I'm thinking about a set of MX pants but I know nothing about how I should armor up. Eg, shorts, knee protection, etc. 

1 hour ago, spazegun2213 said:

Coming from a mostly road riding world

I feel like this could be a big decision tree, highly dependent on what, where, and how you ride. For me, my main motorcycle is a big spicy pasta rocket, and my skinny little tiny 'dirt bike' is the very street worthy 350lb 690 Enduro, both absolutely shred on pavement - so I try not to skip the abrasion resistance, this is a lesson you learn just once. If you ride mostly single track and trailer little bikes around to do that, jersey and some awesome dirt armor all day - perfection. But if you get peg-draggy on the pavement with your bike(s), abrasion layers are absolutely something to consider if not already going for more 'adv' type gear, which has that in mind - but also isn't necessarily what I would yeet around on a 250 iin the desert with, choices, choices. 

....Maybe a group gear swap meet / bbq & tire kick session would help some folks close those gear gaps based on their riding.

11 hours ago, robertaccio said:

in my moto world more in line with what these guys use.

Their setups look pretty awesome. If I can ever do full split two sets of nice gear for street/desert I'd probably look for that type of kit. 

12 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I feel like this could be a big decision tree, highly dependent on what, where, and how you ride. For me, my main motorcycle is a big spicy pasta rocket, and my skinny little tiny 'dirt bike' is the very street worthy 350lb 690 Enduro, both absolutely shred on pavement - so I try not to skip the abrasion resistance, this is a lesson you learn just once. If you ride mostly single track and trailer little bikes around to do that, jersey and some awesome dirt armor all day - perfection. But if you get peg-draggy on the pavement with your bike(s), abrasion layers are absolutely something to consider if not already going for more 'adv' type gear, which has that in mind - but also isn't necessarily what I would yeet around on a 250 iin the desert with, choices, choices. 

....Maybe a group gear swap meet / bbq & tire kick session would help some folks close those gear gaps based on their riding.

"Spicy Pasta Rocket" literally made me LOL... and reminds me of my current lusting for a Monster or 660 tuono. I'm without a pavement bike and I miss them.

I'm up for a swap/show and tell. I'd love to hear about peoples off road gear and/or gear in general.

I have *ALL* the road gear I could want, perf track suit, commuting suit, nice leather jackets, helmets, slew of track/touring boots/gloves, etc. My "offroady" gear is a single pair of MX boots, and Rev'it Tornado 3 jacket/pants... cuz I'm a newbie to this brown stuff. 

I'd say "all" of this gear fits into the category of integrated armor. As all the armor rides in pockets of the respective jackets/pants, etc.  But I've never even thought about separate armor and the usefulness of it under all sorts of other gear. The Bohn perf stuff looks interesting in that I can use the armor I have with it, and that will fit under a jersey/pants.

I'm not going to wade into what is better for what type of riding, I just really want to explore an area of gear I've yet to touch. Hearing it from people that have the experience with it helps me understand what the pros/cons are if I were to purchase something. 

• Like 1

@spazegun2213 we are on a similar journey then, I used to never think I’d have separate armor etc but here I am layering everything to be modular depending on the ride and day seems to be the win if you like riding dirt and street here in pleasantweatherville, if I was back home in the PNW I bet the gear choices swing a whole other way haha. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spazegun2213 said:

I'm not going to wade into what is better for what type of riding, I just really want to explore an area of gear I've yet to touch. Hearing it from people that have the experience with it helps me understand what the pros/cons are if I were to purchase something. 

@spazegun2213 - couldn't agree more with you.  Hope some of the more experienced people put on the "gear swap".

I said it earlier in this string - I want to see/hear the experienced rider's pro's/con's on riding gear.  

13 hours ago, J5ive said:

I want to see/hear the experienced rider's pros/cons on riding gear.  

Well, ok...

I have two sets of gear, one for primarily street (or BDRs with long street sections), and another set for local deserts and trails. Since I sold my ADV bike, I'm not using my street-oriented gear much for now. That gear is a custom set of Motoport mesh kevlar with their armor. I used that gear through Baja, ADV rides throughout Idaho, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, California and a cross-country ride to the East Coast. It's extremely versatile gear- I'll add a heated vest for the coldest days, and have been comfortable in all kinds of weather. Great kit if one can afford it- but it also LASTS- very durable. I designed the pants to fit over motocross-style boots, so no shin armor. I've had it repaired a couple times- catching the cuff on the footpeg, etc.

For local desert/trails (and some out-of-area riding with a low street component) I have a set of KLIM Baja or KLIM Mojave pants, the same SIDI Crossfire T/A boots, and I wear a Leatt 3df soft armor

Super protective and comfortable, and I've worn it in the rain, snow and desert heat without additional layers.

I hate color and patterns, so I wear 3xl sports-type jerseys I buy on Amazon for a tiny fraction of the nutty patterns and branding typical of "riding gear" that looks more like a fishing lure than a shirt.

Gloves are Alpinestar SMX- sort of a combination of street protection and dirt ventilation. For me, they key to these gloves is the sizing- I wear a 3xl size glove, and they're very hard to find, even in construction-type gloves.

For a backpack, I wear a USWE that looks something like this one. The crossed single-buckle design is seriously stable.

I'm a fanboy of the Arai XD series of dualsport helmets. Yes, expensive, but I think my brain is worth it. I wear eyeglasses and have a set of progressive prescription Oakley Half-Jackets that I wear under the XD's visor, raising and lowering that visor as dictated by the riding situation- speed, dust, etc. I have an Arai street-oriented helmet as well, but it's been parked for a year or two.

At my advanced age, I no longer bounce back from injury, and I'm pretty cautious about protective gear.

• Like 1

There is a LOT of chatter that can go on with a discussion like this, you really need to compartmentalize it into specific use case scenarios.

Some background.
I used to commute over 500 miles a week, 210 miles round trip to El Segundo once a week, 150 miles the other 3 days to Santa Anna.
I rode year round in all weather.
Multiple day trips on the large adventure bike with camping off the bike usually several days at a time
Hundreds of day trips on both the big bike riding to destination and little bike trucked to destination.

Every one of these rides dictated different gear based on the ride, distance, time of year, wet or dry, hot or cold, remote or freeway riding, home at end of day or not home for a week.
No one set of gear is going to suit all conditions at all times, some advertise as such but if they keep you warm and dry in the cold and wet you are going to be very warm and such when riding in the summer for example.
That said you almost need 3 sets of gear at the minimum for ability to swap around stuff to meet many of your riding needs.

• Street gear - This often will have the most protection and what you use when commuting or going for a day ride in the canyons etc, typically this is not well suited for dirt use, but there is dirt biased street gear (Klime, Aerositch, Motoport to name a couple)

• Adventure riding - This can be best thought of as jack of all trades, pavement, dirt, all season type gear. Typically offers the most versatility and $$$ factor, go price a BMW suit and come back to me....then there is the Starbuck's membership fee but I digress...

• Day dirt riding - This is where you might be hauling the bike to a trail head or only be on secondary roads, no freeway etc. This is where people can get away with "Lesser" protection levels. You will be exerting yourself more while riding during the summer and so heat management is more an issue since we live in a desert.

If you think of your needs in this capacity you can start to silo your choices and see where there is overlap. It was only recently I acquired a motoport jacket and used that while riding off road, huge amount of protection and fully vented. This was a giant realization for me in that I never rode with gear like this, I always either had exoarmor covered in a jersey or had a jacket with huge vents on the sleeves. But in colder weather this jacket would not work, no insulation (I am not getting into layers or liners at this point).

This is a lot to get into but a gear exchange also only works if there are people similar to you in build so you can try the different gear. Going to some of the larger that have a large selection will give you some ideas on what is out there, try going on a windy day and see how the jackets feel when you are standing in a stiff breeze, that will give you some clue how they move air etc while on the bike.

You might want to include your digets so people know if they might have gear that would be sized to fit you, I can borrow a jacket of Zubb we are the same size, from from ADV Bum would look like a tent on me (for example).

I for one do not like waterproof gear, I find it uncomfortable so for me I have a complete rain system that covers what ever gear I am wearing at the time. It has proven itself many times over the years and is my goto choice when traveling etc. Nothing wrong with Gortex and its kin, this is just a personal choice.

We have proposed a gear demo, luggage demo etc in the past but it never comes to pass, I am always willing to hose such an event as I have plenty of space under cover for people to set up and try stuff etc. 

If it were me looking for opportunity to try before I buy then provide the following (these are my digits)

Height: 6.0'
Weight: 185#
Waste: 34"
Inseam: 34"
Jacket Size: 44L/54 EU size

@spazegun2213
@shutterrev

Edited by DSM8

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

If it were me looking for opportunity to try before I buy then provide the following (these are my digits)

Height: 6.0'
Weight: 185#
Inseam: 34"
Jacket Size: 44L/54 EU size

I remember the first time we met and you commented about the size of the bike I was riding and the boots I was wearing 😲. You have good taste in gear :) 

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 195#
Inseam: 36"
Jacket Size: 44L/54 EU size (but usually long/tall)
Boot: 12US/46EU

I'm also 100% with you on gear needs to suit the conditions/ride. There isn't a silver bullet that works all the time. I think I have a good grasp on the roady side of things, and even into the ADV. But when you start talking about splitting the armor from the clothing (jacket/pants) I have no background in this. 

So when someone tells me something like "I wear MX pants on 1-3 day rides because they are comfortable for the miles we are going" I have NO idea if they ride with another set of camp pants because MX pants are cut like capris (from the looks of it anyway) and you cant stay warm in them off the bike. Yes, a lot of the example is anecdotal, but I don't understand it to make my own decisions. I also have no idea how its supposed to fit and I *assume* its like street gear that fit is extremely important so that armor stays put. 

Verses I can make decisions based on more ADVy gear, liners, and know that I picked my Rev'it tornado's because I wanted a good 3 season setup that could be warm when needed. But I can also wear them around camp because they are comfy, and warm with the liners in... and frequently do. Aside - dedicated rain gear is amazing and I have plenty of stories of getting soaked with "waterproof" liners. 

Edited by spazegun2213

1 hour ago, spazegun2213 said:

I remember the first time we met and you commented about the size of the bike I was riding and the boots I was wearing 😲. You have good taste in gear :) 

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 195#
Inseam: 36"
Jacket Size: 44L/54 EU size (but usually long/tall)
Boot: 12US/46EU

I think I have enough gear that you would fit into that might enable you to make some educated decisions.
Typically the pants I ride in are not the same as what I wear at camp, camp pants are usually some light weight nylon stuff that packs small.
Layers are worn underneath for warmth and stuff, usually the riding jacket or rain layer is worn in the evenings as temp dictates.

You and anyone else are welcome to see the plethora of stuff I have accumulated over the last 20 years of trying to figure out what works best and keep with with technology along the way.
You might be surprised at some solutions I and others use.
How about we start pegging down a date to make this gear swapmeet/try on thing happen?
I can accommodate any Saturday rain or shine honestly.

Weekend of March 11th or the 18th, if some people are doing the noobs rally might be good to do this before hand.

@Hawkins

@J5ive

@shutterrev

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I wear 3xl sports-type jerseys I buy on Amazon

found some made out of jersey material resistant enough?

18 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

@DSM8 has fire extinguishers and hammers beware!

Dont worry they are being saved just for you....

😁