SlowpokeShorty

Noob Clothing advice

Hi,

I'm just getting into ADV riding and have a lot of experience and kit for road riding. I have a good pair of boots for off-roading, but what would y'll recommend as a good set of clothing for the SoCal area? Also good dealers for off-road gear?

- Mark

• Like 1

Knee pads are pretty necessary, elbows, back protection or armored jacket, and padded shorts aren't a bad idea. If you're dual sporting textiles with some abrasion resistance are best, but if you're riding dirt it's hard to argue with motocross gear. 

• Like 1

Mark,

This question is like a motor oil thread. Every opinion is different and most are correct. Protect yourself for battle but not so much that you can't move. You know this from street riding.

Helmet is #1 of importance and expense. I'll run my Leatt "Dirt" helmets and Bell MX9 ADV under 65mph in the dirt or street. My Arai Signet or AGV K5 are for anything over 65mph or 350lbs is what i wear. I could care less what anyone thinks like "That's not an ADV helmet, you should get XYZ cause it is 60grams lighter, has a visor and looks cool". While i might agree my head is safe so thanks for the opinion.

Boots are #2 - Your bike will determine what you need just like a street bike. Motocross boots belong on a MX bike and nowhere else. I use Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro for my XR400, XR600, KTM 500, KTM 525, KTM 450, DRZ400, KTM 950SE, KTM 1090, ATC185 and more bike that i will buy. I also love my Forma Adventures that will likely be my sole ADV boot.

Chest Armor is #3 for me. Once you have had broken ribs because you chose the wrong chest or back armor is true learning experience. Good thing i broke my ribs when i was 9yo when i forgot to wear my JT Roost Protector. I wear a Leatt 5.5 Pro HD in the dirt with a Kriega backpack for Agua and snacks. I am not a true ADV rider yet but my Astar GP Plus works fine for my big KTM's on the street. 

Gloves is #4 for me. I wear Klim, Astar, Dainese, Racer, Fox, RevIt, Cortech in shorts or Gauntlet. My wrist brace dictates what glove i can use and what mood i am in dictates how far up the wrist it goes. 

The list can go on and on but like most members on ADV i have a ton of "Extra" gear (Aka i am gear hoarder) that you can try before you buy based on your size of course. More then happy to let you try before you buy because "Riding Gear" is a whole other bank account waiting to be drained.

• Like 2

If you're good on your boots and helmet, I would recommend trying out HWK adventure gear from Amazon. I have the pants and they are fantastic.

They have hip and knee pads built in, lots of pockets, and despite being black are not very warm in the summer due to the multiple vents. And I think they're about $65. Perfect If you just need something to get you by.

• Like 1

I'll just comment on Jacket setup that works for me, My gear has morphed over the years, especially since finding dirt a few years ago. And even since I started riding off road on ADV bikes, to now. I feel like there is a natural progression from what we initially think we will need, to what we realize we would actually like to have after ripping around a while. 

For me, here in SoCal - My most used jacket is hands down, the Klim Marrakesh. Don't necessarily need to be Klim, but the type of breathy yet very abrasion resistant jacket w/D3 is really good here for the long summers. I did also step up the D3 Armor in my Marrakesh to the next rating level. Also in the context of Klim being wicked expensive, the Marrakesh is on the affordable side it's the only Klim jacket I have owned, and now has easily over 50,000 miles of duty. What if it gets Cold!? - I have a very stuffable puffy hooded jacket, whatever brand tickles your pickle - but I find that my hooded puff, that goes under the marrakesh is sufficient even on those cold mornings getting out to the trailhead. When you warm up after 20 min of trail riding, just stuff it under a strap. 

That ^ is the Jacket setup 100% of the time on my touring bike, 7 day moto trip around arizona, 8 day trip to central oregon and back, near daily use, and a lot of the time on my KTM - But... 

...For the somewhat-skinny bike rides, I have recently joined the separate armor + Jersey club, and bought Leatt 3D AirFit Hybrid armor, and layer long sleeve, and/or jersey over the top. It's rather warm in the summer, and I still like to get off road rides in by heading out early, this setup is nice when it's hot out. During that season I pull the armor out of the Marrakesh, and wear it as an abrasion layer for the road ride to the trail, and thanks to the Marrakesh being fairly easy to stuff under straps etc this works pretty well. 

Bottom Line the Marrakesh (or something like that) does a lot, and used in conjunction with other layers, especially around here, it's year round jacket, for a decent price. 

Marrakesh with the next level of D3 armor in it (I think L2?), bought off the rack at local shops... 
image.png.135d3e7dfabb2c5db67834e5ab047f5b.png

Also thanks to the SDAR Forum I have the Alpinestars boots and nice BMW Rallye pants, used, from @Mr.JAJA!
This makes me think we need another group bbq and gear swap event

- Nick 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

…."Riding Gear" is a whole other bank account waiting to be drained.

No kidding. Quote of the day right there. 
it doesn’t have to be. But often is. 
Your level of protection kind of depends on how and where you ride. Actually that’s not true. It depends on where and how you crash. I’ve seen riders with the Forma boots mentioned above (I call them bedroom slippers) spend a week crashing in Baja and walk away loving their boots. And then watched a rider simply drop their bike at 2 mph on a hill, and break their leg inside a top of line $700 MX boot. 
If you are just getting into ADV riding just about any modern ADV clothing will suffice. Buy them based on temperatures and weather you expect. Used gear is a huge market and I buy and sell about half of my ‘inventory’ used. Just gotta remember to keep selling!!!

if all one can afford is a flannel shirt, work boots and a yard sale helmet, then for gosh sakes do it. That’s how most of us started. 

I tend to go the other way and seem to be on a path of try it all, buy it all. My wife has concerns. 

your budget will pretty much determine your next move. Give us a number and the group brain trust here will have more ideas for you. 
$250?  $500?  $1000?  $1500? 

and let us know the ratio of street to dirt you hope to ride….

Good lord, I’m heading down the rabbit hole…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I'll just comment on Jacket setup that works for me, My gear has morphed over the years, especially since finding dirt a few years ago. And even since I started riding off road on ADV bikes, to now. I feel like there is a natural progression from what we initially think we will need, to what we realize we would actually like to have after ripping around a while. 

For me, here in SoCal - My most used jacket is hands down, the Klim Marrakesh. Don't necessarily need to be Klim, but the type of breathy yet very abrasion resistant jacket w/D3 is really good here for the long summers. I did also step up the D3 Armor in my Marrakesh to the next rating level. Also in the context of Klim being wicked expensive, the Marrakesh is on the affordable side it's the only Klim jacket I have owned, and now has easily over 50,000 miles of duty. What if it gets Cold!? - I have a very stuffable puffy hooded jacket, whatever brand tickles your pickle - but I find that my hooded puff, that goes under the marrakesh is sufficient even on those cold mornings getting out to the trailhead. When you warm up after 20 min of trail riding, just stuff it under a strap. 

That ^ is the Jacket setup 100% of the time on my touring bike, 7 day moto trip around arizona, 8 day trip to central oregon and back, near daily use, and a lot of the time on my KTM - But... 

...For the somewhat-skinny bike rides, I have recently joined the separate armor + Jersey club, and bought Leatt 3D AirFit Hybrid armor, and layer long sleeve, and/or jersey over the top. It's rather warm in the summer, and I still like to get off road rides in by heading out early, this setup is nice when it's hot out. During that season I pull the armor out of the Marrakesh, and wear it as an abrasion layer for the road ride to the trail, and thanks to the Marrakesh being fairly easy to stuff under straps etc this works pretty well. 

Bottom Line the Marrakesh does a lot, and used in conjunction with other layers, especially around here, it's year round jacket. 

- Nick 

That is exactly the route I am going based on living and riding mostly in the Southwest. 
just ordered the Marakesh yesterday. For cold days I’ll run the Mosko Moto Ektotherm puffy under it. For really cold starts I’ll plug it into the bike and turn it on “roast” mode. For rain and snow I’ll throw a rain shell over the top of everything. All pieces can pack and stow in a small space so I don’t end up looking like a gypsy wagon or worse …. A GS rider. 🤷‍♂️🤣👌

• Like 2

Just now, Zubb said:

Mosko Moto Ektotherm puffy

Their stuff is so good. I have been eyeing a lot of their gear more now that I have the separate armor option as well. You will love the Marrakesh, just last week had a dude come up and be like "That is my favorite jacket" haha 

28 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Their stuff is so good. I have been eyeing a lot of their gear more now that I have the separate armor option as well. You will love the Marrakesh, just last week had a dude come up and be like "That is my favorite jacket" haha 

I pretty much have MM’s whole showroom in my garage. Come on over and check it out if you like. I’ll share what I like and don’t like and why. 

• Like 2

In 2019 when i got back into dirt riding i had a 5-10mph crash. Nothing big. I had no idea what was good or what was bad gear wise but i crashed a lot when i was young and Leatt seemed to be the go to for protection. So, i spent as much $$ as i could. I was wearing my Leatt GPX helmet, Leatt GPX jacket, Leatt 3DF under armor, Fox Titan Elbow guards, Nike Football impact shorts, Klim Dakar Pants, Fox Titan Knee Guards and Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro boots.

Results:

Leatt 3DF jumpsuit - I ended up w/3 bruised ribs and 2 cracked from the lack of rib protection the Leatt 3DF had. Shoulder hurt like H for a few months. Immediately burned it in the trash.

Leatt GPXHelmet - Visor snapped off but it is now my back up helmet. Neck muscle strain so i wear 

Fox Titan Knee Guards - Partial Blow out of my knee with a tear to miniscus.  

IMG_7909.thumb.JPG.86d0946538505bc06292c4c80bebb7c4.JPG

IMG_7910.thumb.JPG.0a2e51e76b6ce16776648b6cb6284ab4.JPG

IMG_7911.thumb.JPG.14bfb0271c5be9c60c006ab046ec15bc.JPG

IMG_7915.thumb.JPG.abd757d46f9c097931a3380d6ea1f549.JPG

IMG_7917.thumb.JPG.67627334cdebeb3e7f4e4374f26f7a13.JPG

IMG_7920.thumb.JPG.1eb67422fe9991328eb0229da70c5e2b.JPG

What i wear now and have since 2019

Klim Krios Helmet or Bell MX9 Adventure

Klim Vapor or 100% Goggles

Leatt 5.5 Pro HD w/ Geigerrig RIG 500 **

Leatt 5.5 Neck Brace

Dainese Impact Shorts (Dirt or Street)

Klim Dakar or MSR Pants

Mobius X8 Knee Braces

** I always ride with water and snacks. Tried all kinds of backpacks, nakpacks, waist packs etc and finally settled on this setup. I liked the Zac Speed Roost protector and Back Pack combo but i already had my Leatt. I am a cheap bastard so i bought a cheap backpack and "Bolted it" to my Leatt. I have been using this combo since summer 2020. I can carry 3L of water and a days worth of munchies and i have no idea it is there. If you are a backpacker think Internal frame vs External.

Like others mentioned above, the point is that gear while expensive can be had for cheap if you find people like me who buy new and ride in it once and sell it. More than half my gear now i bought as "1 season" old that saved me a ton of $$. 

1923384791_Leatt5.5ProHD-GeigerrigRIG500-1.thumb.jpg.e3719d7e8aeb448746430bf44936394c.jpg

1069352995_Leatt5.5ProHD-GeigerrigRIG500-2.thumb.jpg.84981d36ba7f40910ffb7c31aae13093.jpg

1033428621_Leatt5.5ProHD-GeigerrigRIG500-3.thumb.jpg.c5972116b7217561f56e2d4c35885bc9.jpg

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Like 1

I'm digging your pack/armor rig.  Nice work!  So you obviously wear that over your jersey .  .  . ?

^^^ see, that's the thing.  People say "I don't need all that high level stuff because I don't ride like you".  And there in lies the rub.  My worst injuries all happened in first gear.  My broken clavicle happened at 1 mph, slipping the clutch in first gear on a smooth grass lawn.  Yet, years ago I T-boned a deer in Idaho at about 50mph.  Totaled the bike and killed the deer. Walked away from it with hardly a scratch. Go figure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zubb said:

And there in lies the rub.

The 2 times I have found myself executing involuntary combat-rolls down a lane in the highway a few feet behind my spinning bike, I was on a 950sm, not wearing all my gear because 'it's just a comfortable easy ride to work etc". My shoulders are already very well used from years of competitive swimming and water polo, so going for tumbling class on the 76, or the 805 without sufficient padding and abrasion resistance is not recommended and had me off the bike for longer than I wanted. My worst off was 2 weeks before my wedding, car decided to pump brakes and turn left at a red turn-light on the 76 while we were at speed and if i went right Ida been runover so i had to just let it go, fractured ankle, road rash, air cast. Of course we had already booked the honeymoon hike in hawaii the following weekend, etc. I went down that day wearing jeans, thin non moto jacket, dod issue boots, but super nice gloves so my hands were pristine.

Learning occurred. 

I've also been down on pavement in a big BMW Rallye jacket, and the armor was absolutely there for me. Unfortunately didn't help with the $1300 in parts ot fix that gsa. So I try to gear up somewhere between the hot weather oriented stuff, and the lunar exploration suits depending on the 5w's of a ride. 

This is why I upgraded the D3 to the higher rating in the marrakesh, to give especially the shoulders and elbows more cushion and coverage for the impact - and try to wear gear all the time. ......"Unless it's just a quick trip to 7-11" <- *slaps self* 

Let's do another group swap meet / bbq sometime - I have gear I would gladly share with other members, and who knows maybe some good trading to be had out there between us. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I'm digging your pack/armor rig.  Nice work!  So you obviously wear that over your jersey .  .  . ?

Thanks. Any roost protector worth wearing is way to bulky for under a jersey IMO. I tried a 4X with my setup and no bueno. 

I always purchase my new stuff from the clearance rack at the dealer . Then I accept hand me downs . Sometimes there's good stuff at rockymountainatv.com. 

I'm trying to find a shirt that says or KTMR2R  on the front 

2 hours ago, SlowpokeShorty said:

I'm surely getting the message. Any dealers you'd recommend?

I won't buy online from anyone unless they have a return policy. Revzilla, Rocky Mountain are my go to online shops. 

As 350thumper says if you can try it on at a local dealer and clearance rack, even better. I like Cycle Gear.

I love my Racer, Alpinestars, Dainese and Klim gloves and wear an XL. Each manufacture weather a glove, jacket, pants etc i have found all fit different based on the model so i have to try it on or gamble with used gear. 

• Like 1

Then there's a local company in Escondido called Motoport, made right here in the good ole USA, made for the long haul and major trips. Their Kevlar Mesh and heavy duty armor is the best protection around, plus the mesh breathes better than any of those Klim or whatever suits mentioned above.

When it gets cold, you just put on layers underneath and when it gets down to 40 degrees you just put on an outer windbreaker or rainsuit as an outer layer to break the wind.

It's not for everyone, but I've been using their stuff for many years.

In my opinion, Klim and some other gear is overpriced and overrated. 

If your just riding locally in the mountains and desert, than an outer jacket over a decent chest protector with elbow guards, etc. is a much less expensive way to go.

Rad

SDAR President and Founder

Edited by KTMrad

I find this topic Very Helpful - Thanks for asking @SlowpokeShorty

@Zubb "I pretty much have MM’s whole showroom in my garage. Come on over and check it out if you like. I’ll share what I like and don’t like and why"

@shutterrev Let's do another group swap meet / bbq sometime 

When I'm cleared to ride again, I'd like to see/hear your pro's/con's on riding gear.  I want good gear - but how do you tell?  Site & Store reviews are good, but you don't know the people giving them and they might be paid.

This thread is great for Noob's like me because, if people share their real life experience/knowledge of gear, I'll have a better idea of what's what.  The cost of good gear will be worth every penny...if is saves me from injury.

• Like 1

If I throw a leg over a bike, it has a SIDI Crossfire on the end of it. Dirt bike, street bike, anything.

No, I do not believe in "riding boots that allow me to walk or hike around when I reach my destination". I used to ride with a buddy who started importing/selling a boot (named here I believe) that made that claim. Google "Lisfranc" to see the result of that "walk around" ability. He was not "walking around" for months, and then with great pain.

I say NO to so-called "ADV boots", just like NO to "ADV wear" that's just cordura nylon and will shred with high-speed contact/slide with the pavement. Like "riding jeans" which could not be more pathetic, yes even the ones with cute little Kevlar patches. Why not an "ADV" tanktop??

No to "shorty" boots, just like no to "shorty" helmets or shorty condoms.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

If I throw a leg over a bike, it has a SIDI Crossfire on the end of it. Dirt bike, street bike, anything.

I went to buy a set of Crossfires and found them totally incompatible with my feet. This is not in any way to say they are bad boots, just that much like helmets the right boots are the ones that fit you. But as someone who had a lisfranc injury (shattered all five metatarsals) in a pair of steel-toe Doc Martens in my early twenties, I'll absolutely agree that boots are not the place to compromise on safety.

Edited by Wintyfresh

15 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

No, I do not believe in "riding boots that allow me to walk or hike around when I reach my destination". I used to ride with a buddy who started importing/selling a boot (named here I believe) that made that claim. Google "Lisfranc" to see the result of that "walk around" ability. He was not "walking around" for months, and then with great pain.

I say NO to so-called "ADV boots", just like NO to "ADV wear" that's just cordura nylon and will shred with high-speed contact/slide with the pavement. Like "riding jeans" which could not be more pathetic, yes even the ones with cute little Kevlar patches. Why not an "ADV" tanktop??

No to "shorty" boots, just like no to "shorty" helmets or shorty condoms.

Listen to this man. 

I just received Klim new Marakesh jacket with D30 ghost armor. This thing screams comfort AND protection (for ADV rides vs full on MX rides). I think I am nearing perfection for on/off road touring here and in baja. 
I’ll report back in a month after about 4,000 miles of hard use. 

• Like 1