SlowpokeShorty

Slowpoke Shorty Joining In

Hi. my name is Slowpoke Shorty and I've just joined this site.

I've been a biker all my adult life, and am now 64. I moved to San Diego from Seattle when I retired, and I want to start getting off-road. My current bikes are a 2018 Goldwing DCT and a Triumph Bonneville Bobber, so I'm not going off-road on those anytime soon. I'm looking at things like the Himalayan, KTM 390 Adventure, CB500X, Aprilia Tuareg.

As my handle implies I'm vertically challenged, with a 28" inseam. I'm pretty used to riding bikes that are too big for me as a result, but some adv bikes are just way too big for me. The Tuareg for example has a 33.8 seat height which is just about doable, although I'd use a lowering kit if/when I buy one. Open to any/all suggestions about off-roading with short legs.

- Mark

• Like 1

I should add that as a noob to the area I know San Diego has plenty of great off-road trials, but I'm a bit short on specifics. Is there a thread here that lists the most popular trials and areas?

Welcome Slowpoke !  Hope to meet you soon. Search the forums for places to ride and also people are putting rides on often, watch the calendar also.

KTMrad - SDAR President and Founder 

Edited by KTMrad

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:34 PM, SlowpokeShorty said:

Open to any/all suggestions about off-roading with short legs.

- Mark

Hi Mark.  Welcome in.

I usually try and pull up next to a rock that I can put my foot on when I have to stop.

Also doing a u turn in tight trail I turn to the left at a 90 and roll up on the side of the trail with my front tire because side of trails are usually higher and it keeps my right foot ready to use the rear brake when doing a 3 point U turn.  I then roll back a little  using  gravity before I finish my turn that way I don't low-side  it's easy to put a foot down on a small lift or small berm centered under my bike.

If I'm climbing steep hill and I have to stall I do the opposite , I turn to the right a little bit . That way when I roll back and turn my tire my rear brake lever is exposed and it's easier to get turned around by sawing the bars.

Also I shaved the center part of my seat foam so it's a little lower in the center makes it easy to maneuver  tight stuff.

Hope to see you at Otay Truck Trail soon.

Edited by 350thumper
  • Agree 1

Hey Mark,

Welcome...I think you'll find this group is very welcoming.

Like you I have tons of years/miles of street riding (I'm 64 also).  A year or two ago I decided to try this ADV/Off road thing, so I got a bike and found this group.  Since I've joined, they've had "Tech Day's" where a member opens his shop for people to come over and work on their bikes (I used it to meet people), a "Noob camping trip" one of the member put on a local overnight camping trip so you can lean to pack, unpack, set up camp - plus meet a ton of people.  Also, someone is always putting on some type of ride and they usually call out what level you need to be to go on it.  Look for "Noob rides" because there will be more experienced riders that join the ride and they'll help you out with advice.

I took a couple of Off Road classes to try and help me get me feet wet - you might want to look into that also.

I'm sidelined due to an injury - but look forward to joining you on a ride as soon as I'm back (I'm a Noob also).

Edited by J5ive
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome Vertically Challenged SDAR Noob,

What you find here is that nobody cares about your age, height, riding experience, what you ride (Except Zubb), mechanical experience or if you need to sleep in a hotel vs a tent. Everyone here just want's to ride and you will find with time on the site that there is always someone riding Mon-Sun, 24/7, 365 etc etc. so don't worry that you will miss a ride as there is usually one the next day somewhere by someone. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Welcome Vertically Challenged SDAR Noob,

What you find here is that nobody cares about your age, height, riding experience, what you ride (Except Zubb), mechanical experience or if you need to sleep in a hotel vs a tent. Everyone here just want's to ride and you will find with time on the site that there is always someone riding Mon-Sun, 24/7, 365 etc etc. so don't worry that you will miss a ride as there is usually one the next day somewhere by someone. 

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

Actually I hope no one here actually believes that about me.

• Like 1

All bikes are good, as long as they are BMW's. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SlowpokeShorty said:

😀Indeed so. I have just put a deposit down on an Aprilia Toureg which I should pick up in a week’s time. 

Sucker !!! Be careful of Big Rock Moto You Tube vids and the like. BRM actually does a 100% No BS video IMO. Comes from experience but lets you know as a NOOB what to expect. Wish there were more like him.

Oh BTW at the next Loan your bike to another SDADV member don' t be mad if i make the first scratch on your new bike.

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SlowpokeShorty said:

😀Indeed so. I have just put a deposit down on an Aprilia Toureg which I should pick up in a week’s time. 

Congrats, that’s a cool bike 

Sweet!!  Ian sure seems to like his.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:00 PM, cmbthumper said:

Big Rock Moto You Tube vids

he does do good reviews, and I along with seemingly everyone appreciate the 'im just letting you guys know the un-sponsored real deal' mantra.