Screenshot_20230131-094848_Gallery.thumb.jpg.45e9685494d492615aecc38644be5324.jpg

Is anybody gonna be riding out by Blair Valley or the Squeeze this weekend?

I'd like find a group to meet with on Sunday preferably.

Coming back from an injury so I'd need to be Mello pace noob level stuff, like Heart Attack Hill or Diablo Drop. Or something under 100 miles. 

DESERT Conditions Report:

heavy rain last night with 8 inches of sand penetration leaving Snow in Mount Lagunas

Calm easterly wind 2-5 mph.

Temps Expected Sunday

72-75 indesert.

@350thumper I won't be riding this weekend, chores - but it is excellent if you are at a level where the finer points of Pinion Mtn Trails are 'noob' to you - but I would caution taking newer off road riders through the Squeeze, Steps, Drop, an Fish creek wash, without them understanding what they are, depending on the bikes and years on them. Diablo might even be a large pill for newer riders to swallow, especially on an ADV Bike. I would put any of those obstacles firmly in the Intermediate+ bracket for folks on anything bigger than a 500exc - but that could just be me and my personal scale, clearly not being as experienced as you are. 

- Nick 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ya just baby steps,shutterev. I ain't trying to go up it. 

I'm not leading a ride. I'm just hoping there's a group I can tag along with like I was saying in the post.

I know your just being extra cautious due to the events that unfolded on your recent ride you were leading at Culp, and I appreciate you being cautious. That is awseome of you.

Looking for Dual Sport  preferably...Mello pace .

Heart Attack is fine or Sin Nombre .

Something  sand desert related.

If theres riders that are a total noob and want to learn sand or how to navigate Heart Attack Hill I'm more than happy to take the time this Sunday to teach you at a slow pace , how to ride sand or navigate through the finer points. 

• Like 2

The dual sport detail is probably sufficient to help folks understand about that route, since folks may have anything from 125's to 1290's - thanks :)
Accidents do happen, even to experienced riders, on easier trails, on epic light weight bikes, like what happened on culp :)

I just can't imagine it would be fun for anyone in the party if they did get through the squeeze, steps, and drop - and then realized they are not experienced at all with sand lol. 

@350thumper if you want I have a GPX from the last desert ride i did with a friend near the badlands below fonts point, I adjusted some of the track since we took a wrong turn and have not proofed my map based correction yet, but i can send that over if you like, it was a nice ride. 

Ya I was gonna put DS in there but got distracted and didn't want the big bikes to think I don't wanna hang out with them.

Those big bikes going in sand or down HH show tremendous skill. 

Isn't it funny the more experienced we get the closer we are to a helicopter ride... the reason this weekend is better for the sand is because of the wet conditions. I'm expecting near perfect conditions for riding around in the sand even at noob level.

I hope to catch up w/u on one of your rides soon,shutterrev. I would of asked you to go riding but I know your skill is way to advanced for my recent cricked condition where I tried tilting a cooler without drinking the contents first.

What routes do you have on your agenda list ?

• Like 1

@350thumper it's funny, and a little sad because @moto_rph and I have seen all your posts and recently commented to each other that we want to go head out with you sometime, and sadly Perry is healing for a while. I think you have some good knowledge of all the trails out there in the desert that we have barely even found yet. I think I have a split of rides coming up, I'd like to do some long days in the desert and just work on technique and have fun - and learn some new places to go - and the split - adv rides that are mostly road on my pasta rocket, because I still got love for he paved bits (and my wife is mainly a road rider right now). 

Also I agree about the big bikes and the skill, and fitness off road for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shutterrev said:

@350thumper but I would caution taking newer off road riders through the Squeeze, Steps, Drop, an Fish creek wash, without them understanding what they are, depending on the bikes and years on them. Diablo might even be a large pill for newer riders to swallow, especially on an ADV Bike. I would put any of those obstacles firmly in the Intermediate+ bracket for folks on anything bigger than a 500exc - but that could just be me and my personal scale, clearly not being as experienced as you are. 

- Nick 

I totally agree with you Nick.

2 hours ago, shutterrev said:

@350thumper it's funny, and a little sad because @moto_rph and I have seen all your posts and recently commented to each other that we want to go head out with you sometime, and sadly Perry is healing for a while. I think you have some good knowledge of all the trails out there in the desert that we have barely even found yet. I think I have a split of rides coming up, I'd like to do some long days in the desert and just work on technique and have fun - and learn some new places to go - and the split - adv rides that are mostly road on my pasta rocket, because I still got love for he paved bits (and my wife is mainly a road rider right now). 

Also I agree about the big bikes and the skill, and fitness off road for sure. 

I can't wait to get my 950 Adventure running....I want to ride with you guys in the Dez, I know the area really well, been riding it for almost 30 years.

I hope to have my 950 running within the next month or so.

• Like 2

One more thing...the way to Heart Attack Hill is not easy, lots of rocks and some rock steps...please don't take noob riders on that unless they know what they're getting into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KTMrad said:

One more thing...the way to Heart Attack Hill is not easy, lots of rocks and some rock steps...please don't take noob riders on that unless they know what they're getting into.

Real talk - I had a real come to Jesus moment at the top of that thing, tucked my tail between my legs, and walked my bike down - Which at points still seems sketchier than just pitching it and swan diving lol. That was when I first got my 690, I’ve been trying to learn the things maybe one day I will have the balls to ride down it. LoL

tip of the hat to @moto_rph he Yolo’d it straight down no filter on a XR650L + kitchen sink and it was glorious. 

• Like 1

We've ridden down it on many big bikes, including 950 Adventures,  BMW 1200 GS's, it just looks more intimidating than it really is.

• Like 3

Thanks for the additional information! I appreciate the insight and it's great to hear that riders on big bikes have successfully navigated Heart Attack Hill. I'll make sure to consider your advice when planning future adventures and will be sure to communicate the level of difficulty to all riders.

It's always helpful to have experienced riders share their knowledge and experience, so thank you for your contribution

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to reach out in regards to the upcoming motorcycle ride on Sunday. After careful consideration, I have decided to cancel my participation in the ride.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and I hope to have the opportunity to join you all on a future ride. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Thumper 

,‐------‐-‐----‐-----------

Edited by 350thumper

@350thumper I would like to ride with you soon, I have at least a couple busy weekends of probably no bikes, next, but then it would be great to go hit the desert 🤙🏻 I am cleared for lab2v this year, my first time, so I’m hoping to get in a lot of desert rides leading up to that - always in learn mode. 

11 hours ago, KTMrad said:

950 Adventure

I have love for that bike, I wasn’t in to dirt riding at all when I had my 950SM, but the shared carbed LC8 is a serious kick in the pants, and at the time 2007ish, the shop I went to was Malcom Smith Motorsports, any time I’d see a 950ADV there we would end up talking, and both agreeing it’s a crackin motor - with the 950ADV always saying it’s the best bike ever. 

The SM was basically a premier hooligan bike, with about a 2 hour seat timer in the stock wooden plank but I loved it. C15EC06B-FAEA-48A8-8126-1487E093E89B.thumb.jpeg.768c7b77bf9bf89ba750397215262de5.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KTMrad said:

We've ridden down it on many big bikes, including 950 Adventures,  BMW 1200 GS's, it just looks more intimidating than it really is.

I think it’s important to let the ADV bike Heart Attack hill virgins know that conditions vary. With all the rain, right now might be a good time for advanced level big bike riders to try it. Because the rock is likely clean. Other times there is a lot of granite dust present, which reduces traction thereby creating a 600# sleigh ride to that 90 degree left at the bottom. Once a 6-800# package starts sliding it can be impossible to stop. 
Thats the wonder of our beautiful desert. Conditions will vary and that’s a promise. 😁

Fish creek at the bottom should be absolutely dreamy right now. 

• Like 1

For those who’ve been wanting to hit Baileys Cabin …. Again, now is probably the time. The sand at the bottom can be some of the toughest in the area. Very deep, fine and super soft. That “should” all be mitigated with the rains. But I expect the road in and out will be quite thrashed as well. It’s about the best time of year for us desert rats!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zubb said:

thereby creating a 600# sleigh ride to that 90 degree left at the bottom.

Hahaha that’s the best description 😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Baileys Cabin

Love this ride, especially since you can stitch together other dirt on the way there and back and make a day of it. 

7 hours ago, Zubb said:

I think it’s important to let the ADV bike Heart Attack hill virgins know that conditions vary..

Riding a large motorcycle off-road can be a very dangerous and challenging activity. The terrain, such as rocks and sand, can cause severe wear and tear on both the rider and the ADV motorcycle. The rough and uneven surface in this area can cause significant discomfort and even injury to the rider's body, with sore muscles and bruises being common side effects. The unforgiving nature of the desert environment can also put the rider at a high risk of accidents, such as falls or collisions, which can result in severe injury or even death.

Additionally, big adventure bikes are not designed for agressive off-road use and can be very difficult to control on steep, uneven terrain. They are also very expensive and any damage sustained in an off-road environment can be costly to repair.
Moreover, today's riding gear, such as protective clothing and helmets, may not provide enough protection against the harsh conditions of off-road riding on the Anza Borrego Route and may not be enough to prevent spinal injury in the event of an accident. The risk-to-reward ratio for off-road ADV motorcycle riding is not favorable, as the risks far outweigh the benefits.
Finally, it is important to consider the impact of off-road riding on one's personal life and work opportunities. Instead of risking injury and damaging equipment, it would be better to spend time at home with family and friends or focus on work and career development.

20221229_123016.thumb.jpg.1e6633aba92493326ad1c9ea7a9a567d.jpg

Thank you Zubb and Shutterrev for supporting me and ensuring I feel comfortable, even if it means avoiding taking any chances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 350thumper said:

Riding a large motorcycle off-road can be a very dangerous and challenging activity. The terrain, such as rocks and sand, can cause severe wear and tear on both the rider and the ADV motorcycle. The rough and uneven surface in this area can cause significant discomfort and even injury to the rider's body, with sore muscles and bruises being common side effects. The unforgiving nature of the desert environment can also put the rider at a high risk of accidents, such as falls or collisions, which can result in severe injury or even death.

Additionally, big adventure bikes are not designed for agressive off-road use and can be very difficult to control on steep, uneven terrain. They are also very expensive and any damage sustained in an off-road environment can be costly to repair.
Moreover, today's riding gear, such as protective clothing and helmets, may not provide enough protection against the harsh conditions of off-road riding on the Anza Borrego Route and may not be enough to prevent spinal injury in the event of an accident. The risk-to-reward ratio for off-road ADV motorcycle riding is not favorable, as the risks far outweigh the benefits.
Finally, it is important to consider the impact of off-road riding on one's personal life and work opportunities. Instead of risking injury and damaging equipment, it would be better to spend time at home with family and friends or focus on work and career development.

20221229_123016.thumb.jpg.1e6633aba92493326ad1c9ea7a9a567d.jpg

Thank you Zubb and Shutterrev for supporting me and ensuring I feel comfortable, even if it means avoiding taking any chances.

Put

the

keyboard 

down. 

now let’s ride.  Nay-sayers be dammed. 

• Haha 1

I have never done Heart Attack Hill, The Squeeze etc on a motorcycle of any CC or Weight. I did do it 3x in a friends Cherokee and 1x in my own Cherokee. It is called Heart Attack Hill for two reasons.

The 1st is when you stand at the top and look down. If your heart beats fast then walk down and let an experienced driver do the dirty work or just turn around. ZERO shame in that.

The 2nd is you look down from the top, you puff your chest up, jump in your rig and half way down at the step transition you Sh*t yourself from the unloading of your suspension. You can't get out or scream like a beach so you have a heart attack so you don't look like a Pansy to those looking on. Yes, i have no shame in admitting in Sharted once or twice while i went down that damn thing.

Every obstacle in life is a step back and observe so we don't get a Darwin Award handed to us. While HA Hill or any other place is a challenge, they can be done an done while being safe and full of memories. These places are baby steps. Do it on a Honda Monkey and work your way up type of attitude. Ride it for the 1st time on a bike that is way outta your riding level is all on you Darwin Jr. Just step right up for your trophy.

The 1st time i did John Bull was down right comical. I had 4 changes of clothes and they were all Brown. Let's just say i went prepared.

Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride at your level and you will ride until your last breath

• Like 3

@cmbthumper I’ve done John Bull a couple times in my Jeep, as well as the other big bear trails - I remember before I ever rode a bike in dirt, picking my way down dishpan springs in the jeep but also stopping to marvel at the guys yeeting down or up those trails on dirt bikes. At the time, never riding dirt, that seemed insane! 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zubb said:

now let’s ride.  Nay-sayers be dammed. 

I can't because you guys said there might be some sand I have to ride through, and there might be some dust 🤧 sitting on a rock somewhere out in the dezert.  Plus I might have to turn the steering wheel and my bike could fall over. 

That's way too dangerous for me to get out of my comfort zone. 🙃 

• Haha 1

I don't know if the facetiousness could be laid on any thicker, but give it a shot D!  But be careful with it... 

• Like 1