Kimber45

Any Locals Available for a 1/29 or 1/30 Ride?

Two dummies from AK are coming down to your neck of the woods and carved out a couple days to ride.  I'm as lost about the territory as a gringo negotiating the price of a silver necklace in a Tijuana marketplace.

We'll be on ADV bikes and are mostly interested in just seeing some new country and being away from snow.  

Just want to stand on the pegs do some easy to intermediate gravel roads.  Also, we're based out of LA so SD isn't precisely local.

Ride ideas?

• Like 1

Here is a pin map that might help with planning some adv rides, colors are based on an ‘avg adventure bike rider’ Green is scenic and easy, orange is scenic and easier but with some intermediate stuff, red is stuff that could potentially get folks in over their head, buddy system advised https://shutterrev.com/sdadvmap

Also, in conjunction with planning where you want to explore, you can download really good trail data from CALIFORNIA TRAIL MAP, and that will give you the track level detail when you start your rides. 

Welcome and have a great time, post a ride up on the calendar here on the site and if folks can make it they will, self included 🤙🏻

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

Also, see the calendar on the main forum page - there is a ride on Sunday on Otay and that's ADV friendly stuff and nice views 👍

That's a long way to go for a short ride, but it could be expanded to an all day ride if they wanted to do it.  

From LA I would suggest maybe ride down to Main Divide off the 74?  I have no idea which of those trails are open, been a few years since I rode there and the rain may have gate closures in effect?  

Shutterrev and tntmo, thank you so much for the info and feedback.  That pin map is an absolute gold mine.  The Otay ride is also a definite maybe if we can put together a couple of good detours on the way back North to make a day out of it.  Doesn't look like that would be hard to do either.

I'm meeting my riding buddy this evening to open a discussion about ride planning.  Because we are both pretty low key, easy going guys (not anal retentive) decisions won't be made right away.  I just want to see some new country and hopefully meet any local riders.  My friend on the other hand has a quirk.  He's generally against something until he feels that the plan is, at least in part, his idea, then he's all in.  He's also the other half of the partnership so I often defer to his suggestions.  I bought bourbon for the occasion and should have a better sense of what's afoot tomorrow.

Bikes are booked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kimber45 said:

I bought bourbon for the occasion and should have a better sense of what's afoot tomorrow.

Awesome man, I may hit the desert Saturday, but will attend the advertised Sunday ride if I can get away with it :)

Also there is a very active riding group in the LA area if you are on ADVRider in the regionals you will get a much bigger group of people that can help you with rides to be had in that neck of the woods.

High desert is always interesting but can be windy and cold.

Google Pioneer Town it is out that way you might find stuff going there and coming back that are suited to what you are looking for.

And there are gravel road options that take you thru the Cojon pass to get up there etc.

Thanks for the additional input.  

So, attending tntmo’s Otay Truck Trail ride looks like a no go.  I’ll put this diplomatically because it’s OK to throw your best friend under the bus.  While I would ride all night through the rain to attend if I were solo, my friend is currently cycling through a phase where he cannot think or talk about anything that is not the object of his present obsession.  We’re leaving Sunday to ride for couple of days and that plan is still a pretty blank sheet of paper.  My buddy is 100% focused on the SX event. 

As far as riding I now know what it means to ride out the divide.  Local news says the snow line is around 2,500 feet.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether Forest Route 4S05, Rouse Hill Truck Trail, and Red Mountain area are still ridable?  Lots of snow on the mountains to the East of Riverside today.

However this turns out I promise to post up some pics.

On a positive note I bought a new dirt bike helmet and goggles at Chaparral today.  Also looking forward to riding an F850 for the first time. 

• Like 1

It’s a long ride down here for some simple fire roads, but would have been nice to meet you.  I’d say just give it a shot for the forest roads, will be fun no matter what happens.  

37 minutes ago, tntmo said:

It’s a long ride down here for some simple fire roads, but would have been nice to meet you.  I’d say just give it a shot for the forest roads, will be fun no matter what happens.  

Well, they do call it adventure riding after all.  Plan . . . no plan . . . will be an adventure either way.  Sort of a deviation from the 7Ps of the Navy though : )

Just noticed you have a YT channel in your tag.  Great content from what I've seen and pretty mug as well.

You described yourself as an air marshal on a helo carrier.  CWO4?  LCDR?

Edited by Kimber45
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kimber45 said:

Well, they do call it adventure riding after all.  Plan . . . no plan . . . will be an adventure either way.  Sort of a deviation from the 7Ps of the Navy though : )

Just noticed you have a YT channel in your tag.  Great content from what I've seen and pretty mug as well.

You described yourself as an air marshal on a helo carrier.  CWO4?  LCDR?

No air marshal, aviation mechanic.  Retired as a Senior Chief.  Have a great ride, get lots of pics.

So I lied.

I promised to post pictures, i.e., plural.  Here is the only picture from today's trip.

The gates of the Cahuilla motocross track near Anza, inside a drizzly cloud, bundled for the 42F weather, and looking very Japanese (Turning Japanese [Official video] - The Vapors (HD/HQ) - YouTube).  [Kids, don't judge people who came of age in the '80s.  Just be jealous that you weren't there.]

From Anza we made an attempt towards Red Mountain Lookout.  On account of poor planning, poor execution, and even poorer GPS, we only rode around aimlessly on some sand roads for a little while.

I won't say today was my best day in the saddle, but the worst day riding is still better than the best day working.

Forecast says more rain tomorrow than today.  Going to spend some time this evening to see if running to Pioneer Town tomorrow is doable.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:02 PM, tntmo said:

Senior Chief.

Even better.

Cahuilla.jpg

Edited by Kimber45
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1