Ptkatoomer

Adventure packing - interesting video

I've been digging on that guys vids for awhile now.  Good stuff!!

But I  go on a 3 week trip, not on a 2 day desert race. I never will try to slide the bike around the turn with the load on. I like to see something left and right of my track and for me it counts how long I am on the track, not how fast I am on the track.  That wy it called ADVENTURE RIDING. Not ADVENTURE RACING.

• Like 2

Agree with Udo.  Videos like that are kind of silly, the guy said how “everyone is doing it wrong” but they are just doing it differently than he does.  Getting wrapped up in how someone else does things is a waste of time, just go do it! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

He definitely has an attitude about overloaded riding and if you watch some of his others you’ll see some superiority coming out over BMWs and clean middleweights. I don’t care about that. I liked his message of going light, since almost all of us take too much crap which diminishes the bikes handling greatly. 
Like anything, just eat the fish and spit out the bones. 
I think it’s episode 3 of his Warhorse series where he biffs pretty hard in England. You can tell it ring his bell pretty good. 
the guy is pretty amazing on a dirt bike though. 

• Like 3

I ran into similar “lightweight snobbery” when I got into backpacking.  Sure you have a 12 pound pack, but it’s $5000 worth of crap and you have zero comfort.  

Save weight where you can, but just ride your ride.  I do pick up ideas from stuff like this though, so it’s worth watching even if the way I do it is different.

• Like 2

That’s a great term Tom. 
It’s a human condition. 
Fly fisherman disdain baitcasters, blackpowder hunters eschew modern firearm hunters. Archers dismiss them both as inferior methods. The “light is right” crowd smugly laughing at the GS/T10/1290 travelers. And vice versa. 
I think it stems in part from being so happy with what you’ve got or what you do, that you struggle to understand why everyone wouldn’t agree or want to do likewise (Shrug). 

• Like 1

I don't have an adventure bike, but maybe one day......

I like watching all these vids because it gets me fired up about wanting to try it. Maybe I relate more to him becuase my background is all off-road and liking the technical stuff.

This was another one of his videos I really enjoyed:

• Like 1

Adventure is not about the bike, it’s about the ride.  
I end all my YouTube videos with this statement: “Get out there and find YOUR adventure”.  So, adventure away. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I really like (respect) your attitude about all that Tom.  Having spent waaaaaaaay too much time (since 2002 I think) on that Adventurereader website, I've learned for some it's about the bike, others the ride, others the people and places along the way.  On any given day my jam can be any one of the three.

• Like 2

My 2002 GSX-R 750 was my first adventure bike, I webbed my belongings to the bare tail and would ride up to Cupertino to see family. And... my current 690, and the red pasta bike thing are both 'adventure bikes'...

Adventure bike: Any bike you plan on having adventures on. 
How to pack it: However it suits your intended use/riding this time. 

• Like 3

Ha,  We are all snobs in our own particular way.  😲

A6094F58-12A2-47F3-B771-1D168721F19B.jpeg

Edited by Bagstr
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 8:50 AM, tntmo said:

Adventure is not about the bike, it’s about the ride.  

Tom your statement hit home with me - my first Adventure ride was a solo trip cross country.  I was on a comfortable bike, I had a HD bagger - but being on the road for 30 days by my self meeting new people and seeing new places was the Adventure...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J5ive said:

being on the road for 30 days by my self meeting new people and seeing new places was the Adventure...

@J5ive 30 days would be amazing, I had two weeks off between a huge career change back in 2019, and I wandered Solo back home to Oregon, camped along the way, it was pretty awesome. High school friends that I joined the military with met me on their bikes in Oregon, it was a good trip. It's really disarming to people when you pull in to a USFS campsite on a motorcycle, I met so many nice folks camping, or even at gas stations. People are excited to learn where you've ridden from and talk to you about this strange adventure bike thing. Also got some good tips on where to make route adjustments by listening to old timers at gas stations that would walk by and reminisce about their riding days - What an epic way to just do a brain defragmentation, enjoy each day however you want, camp wherever you want, be wherever, whenever, just with a general idea of when you need to return. Here is some pics from that trip, and I can't wait to have another one like it :)

I agree with @Zubb above, There is the ride, the bike, and the people and places along the way. I'm in it for all of those things, with riding as the keystone.

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 8:42 PM, tntmo said:

I ran into similar “lightweight snobbery” when I got into backpacking.  Sure you have a 12 pound pack, but it’s $5000 worth of crap and you have zero comfort.  

Save weight where you can, but just ride your ride.  I do pick up ideas from stuff like this though, so it’s worth watching even if the way I do it is different.

As an ex Backpacker i can attest to this 100%. Light is not always Right. I tried to be a gram weenie but ran out of $$ quick. I was never a "I went X amount of miles or checked of Trailhead A, B & Z". It was always the journey, sounds and sites i craved. I often stayed for a while at a waypoint because the area just felt right and didn't see a need to go further.

I went from Stainless Steel cookware (Pot, Cup & Plate) to Boy Scout stuff to Military Surplus to Titanium. Love Titanium for it's lack of triggering even a postal scale but HHAATTEE everything else about it. Titanium boils water in 3sec but is cold by the time your cup is full. Boil water IN the Ti cup and your lips are gone for a month from the water and container burns. makes some grub in a Ti pan and good luck getting it clean cause regulating the heat is never going to happen as it is on/off. Weight vs Efficiency is key for me. Now i use a GSI Haulite pot and Pan.

Here is my still used SP Ti cup that i use at home on occasion. If you recall i am a cheap bastard. You can pay big $$ for Silicone lip protector things or use what is around you.

20230117_121836.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1