Rjg967

Sandblast Hare & Hound, who's going?

So thanks to @Pokey151 for sharing and liquid encouragement for sealing the deal the night before last, I signed up for the race. Super pumped and fairly nervous. This'll be my first. I have oodles of time on my bike, and know my limits, but I'm looking for tips from fellow riders. Ease my nerves! Lol

Has anyone done this, is there a fair amount of higher speed sections, or is there technical sections.

I'll be on my YZ450, currently has 3.1g tank and 13/49 gearing. I have a 14t front and a 48 rear at my disposal. If I go 14, my top speed will be good, but 1st becomes loooong for slow speed technical.

Thank you!!!

• Like 2

Eh you'll be good. Courses at Superstition are easier than PCE and PCW. Mix of everything. Sand, rocks, tight, wide open. 

66 miles is relatively short compared to some of the other formats, so it's a good intro race. The nice thing about running two loops instead of the same loop multiple times is the expert classes won't blow by you at 300 mph doing a wheelie. Fun to see, but catching their roost with your helmet gets old. 😃

Dead engine start. If you're not trying to be competitive, you can always slow roll off the start and let the pack thin out. Enjoy the dust!

On my YZ450 I run a 14t up front for everything except Glamis. That would be my suggestion for D38, otherwise you'll find the top of 5th gear really quick in the open sections. 

Races are fun. Go race. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

If I go 14, my top speed will be good, but 1st becomes loooong for slow speed technical.

WTH are you doing in 1st gear?  Don't go that slow, that's my advice   :)   14/48 is good gearing

I am still debating on joining that race.  I do miss racing and man I am out of shape and still need to get use to the 500.  I've ridden it 3 times

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluhdow said:

Eh you'll be good. Courses at Superstition are easier than PCE and PCW. Mix of everything. Sand, rocks, tight, wide open. 

66 miles is relatively short compared to some of the other formats, so it's a good intro race. The nice thing about running two loops instead of the same loop multiple times is the expert classes won't blow by you at 300 mph doing a wheelie. Fun to see, but catching their roost with your helmet gets old. 😃

Dead engine start. If you're not trying to be competitive, you can always slow roll off the start and let the pack thin out. Enjoy the dust!

On my YZ450 I run a 14t up front for everything except Glamis. That would be my suggestion for D38, otherwise you'll find the top of 5th gear really quick in the open sections. 

Races are fun. Go race. 

Great advice, thank you! I've done a couple other events, but hopefully this is the start of doing a series.

55 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

WTH are you doing in 1st gear?  Don't go that slow, that's my advice   :)   14/48 is good gearing

I am still debating on joining that race.  I do miss racing and man I am out of shape and still need to get use to the 500.  I've ridden it 3 times

Lmao of course 120 mile an hour pokey would say that.

Bring your bike up to Wildomar, it'll get you reeeaalll familiar with your bike whether you like it or not! Lol

Yeah you're not going to be using 1st that much, if at all, at Superstition. I always ran taller gearing at the D38 races and never regretted it

• Like 1

So update a couple weeks after. Surprisingly, my training on body position paid off and the arm pump was minimal. My legs however were completely dusted. It was basically 37 mi of sand washes and whoops. I did see a few plated bikes, obviously 450 and under. Ended up placing mid pack in novice class.

If you guys ever had a thought about doing a desert race, go for it! Very fun event and well run. Just make sure to train your arms and legs, I couldn't walk right for a week! Lol

Made a video.

• Like 4

Glad to see support of the local AMA D(38). Happy to see a safe ride. Not my cup of tea at all , but good on ya!!  My mantra "Participate don't Spectate."

• Like 1

Just got my membership to D38. I'm seriously considering competing on the next event (Ground Hog 100)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, padu said:

Just got my membership to D38. I'm seriously considering competing on the next event (Ground Hog 100)

Oh man! That's a doozy.

I have the Soboba trail Ride coming up, then after that I am super pressed to get two bikes out of my garage to make room for a vintage truck. I'm going to try for the April 4th district 37 hare & Hound

• Like 1