@moto_rph and I met up with a mutual friend, Scott on his lovely Husaberg 570 yesterday. They trucked their skinnies out, and I met them on my 690 because even geared down, it eats up pavement like a hungry hippo. We met at grapevine on the banner side, and set off. We had a nice continuous ride through grapevine, banged a right to head up toward old culp, to exit on Monetzuma.

Grapevine is much less fluffy than it was just before the rains, @moto_rph was attempting to make full use of the hero sand, but zigs may have been zigged instead of zagged, and he had a hard fall, in an area I have seen claim a few others as well. We made sure he still knew he has 13 fingers, and that it was a Tuesday in July, but it was also smart to check his collarbone area out, so he was off to urgent care. He checked in a couple times the rest of the day in good spirits, and with a nice X ray of a collarbone in need of healing.

So then Scott and I had a rough idea of what to do next, but Scott sold me on exploring the desert below, and south of fonts point where there is a bunch of sand wash and jeep trails. It was really excellent riding, and a really beautiful day. I have not been doing as much desert dualsport riding as I like for the last while, the ride with Padu last weekend was critical in making yesterday a good one - I feel like I'm getting back in to it :)

We rode a nice 25 mile desert loop out there, lots of variation in the terrain beautiful day. Afterward we went to the Red Ocotillo and had lunch, we met a few riders there on BMW/KTM ADV Bikes and then we decided to ride Old Culp and Grapevine in reverse back to Scott's truck, and then on home. 

Good day of riding, Perry when your back on the bike we will take you there! Maybe we make it a ride with some folks here. Vid/Photos linked below. 

Video at this link

Photos at this link

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 4

Sounds like a spectacular day of riding except for Perry.  UGH! Say it ain't so Perry!!  Is the Doc going to give you a metal? or are will you be healing up the old fashioned way?

• Like 1

IMG_8566.thumb.JPEG.6d2025e879d9dfd278ea4334a67ad082.JPEG

haha!  Here's my pictures from the trail.  Just got a call that 6th and 7th rib is fractured also....

Ortho appt at 8am tomorrow.  we'll see about my metal.  I just have to be patched up by the NOOB rally :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about all the breaks Perry - here is a quick desert texture samples video to show some of what you will be riding when your back at it :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, moto_rph said:

IMG_8566.thumb.JPEG.6d2025e879d9dfd278ea4334a67ad082.JPEG

haha!  Here's my pictures from the trail.  Just got a call that 6th and 7th rib is fractured also....

Ortho appt at 8am tomorrow.  we'll see about my metal.  I just have to be patched up by the NOOB rally :)

I'm so bummed for you.  Man you were just getting to the good stuff with that 500.  Let me know if you need someone to go ring it out to keep the gas fresh.

• Like 2

That suuuuuuuuucks moto_rph! Glad you're in good spirits (or at least have good medicine 😁)

Hope you heal up fully and quickly!

• Like 2

Im sorry about this happening to you. 

Been there... 

If you get time could you expand on what happened so we can learn from it?

Did you wad it up in deep sand or  hit a buried rock , or find a huge dust cloud?

Curious. 

I hope you heal quick with less pain. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dag nab it Moto_rph, grrrrr.  Sorry to hear. 

I too, like all of the members here who have had a bif that sidelined them for awhile, are wishing you a speedy recovery.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 350thumper said:

If you get time could you expand on what happened so we can learn from it?

Did you wad it up in deep sand or  hit a buried rock , or find a huge dust cloud?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR WELL WISHES!  Some of you I haven't met yet, but the brotherhood is there :)

I wish I had a colorful story to go along with this accident, but I don't.  I can expand a bit on the initial writeup by  @shutterrev.  As he stated, we were heading north and just completed Grapevine and headed onto Old Culp to come out on the S22 in Ranchita.

I was on comms with @shutterrev and told him I was feeling a bit feisty and with that, I blasted by him.  For all of you familiar with this area, the terrain now starts descending into the valley.  (apparently that's why they call it Culp Valley).  I got about 3 turns and 200 yards ahead of my partners and hit a right hander....the berm was great until it became an erosion gully (descending, remember?).  It grabbed my front end and I wound up straight into a large manzanita which spit me out HARD on my right side (see pic)

vlcsnap-2023-01-08-16h13m45s058.jpg.698d1e3e277155ce6c817ee4d30de2fb.jpg

@shutterrev didn't see it, but heard it through the comms....apparently I was articulate with my pain.

After catching my breath, we decided to continue riding, albeit at a slower pace.  By the end of old culp, I decided to leave the gents to continue their ride and I was going to ride back to my truck and head home...a bit shaken up, but no big deal.

20 mile street ride to truck...S22 to S2 to 78 to truck.  Once I got there and spent 20min getting my jersey and armor off, I knew I was in a pickle (sorry @PaulyPickles).  Then, when I felt the orange sized lump where my right collarbone was supposed to be, I realized I was running on adrenaline.

Well better continue on with the adrenaline cuz you're the only one there to load your bike!  Started it up and drove it sidesaddle up the bumper carrier..tied it down...whew!

Now I get into my truck...a 1993 Dodge 1 ton dually....WITH A STICK SHIFT (right collarbone)....adrenaline, don't leave me now :)

Got going, made a phone call and found out my urgent care was in Escondido, so adrenaline got me an hour and a half there.  Told the doc that as a retired pharmacist, I should be able to invent a drug that would make me act my age.  She said if I do, she has about 30 patients she wants to give it to :)

So that's the long answer to your question @350thumper.  The short answer is "if the sand looks too glorious, relax and take a breath....maybe that feeling of being a teenager again will pass"

• Like 2

He wasn't hollering or anything, I just heard the 'HrRmPfFf' noises of someone who hit the deck and was sucking some wind. Was glad to round the corner and see him at least propping himself up and then standing etc. We stopped and had @moto_rph have a seat, and talk to us for a bit about how he's feeling, make sure he didn't drop, he was raising his arm and clearly in some pain but rode the rest of the trail and was talking on the Sena, then said he was going to go get checked out and checked in with us along the way - By lunch time he texted that he had actually broken some things! Gladd it wasn't worse, but sorry it was as bad as it is Perry - Mend Well 

I've seen Perry go down at speed in a endless field of baby head rocks between CA and AZ on his XR650L and pop up like a zombie (I think you have that picture as well haha) - He's a pretty tough dude :)

Edited by shutterrev

9 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

Well better continue on with the adrenaline cuz you're the only one there to load your bike!  Started it up and drove it sidesaddle up the bumper carrier..tied it down...whew!

Luckily you have that fit new 500, The XR would still be there lol 

• Like 1

Impressive all around. Glad you were able to get yourself and your bike out of there and to urgent care. 

• Like 1

That road is tricky because of all the rain channels and many tight turns. For me, not a place to carry a lot of speed. As my eyes aged (71), seeing clearly the details became a problem. Note that the injury sight is in the shade. Transitions, I.e. in and out of shade at speed became a crap shoot.

The good news is that there is help available. After three eye surgeries, the details have returned and my riding has improved. Plus, I feel much more in control.

Bagstr, On the Trail.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Had a buddy eat it in the same area during a Desert Dash several years back due to the same conditions, a big washed out corner that he was coming into a little bit too hot for the conditions.  

Glad you made it out safely and to the docs.  Heal up, we'll see you out there again soon enough.