DSM8

Teardrop Trailer

Is there anyone here that I know who has one

i have questions 

I had one for two years. They are super cute and functional when the weather is perfect. Save your wallet and just buy some thing you can stand up in. It’s pretty romantic to see yourself standing at the back cooking over your wonderful outdoor kitchen smelling the flowers and watching the sunset. The reality is, it’s a pain in the ass to always try to figure out how not to drag dirt, sand, dust, mud and wet clothing into your sleeping area. If you’re going to pull a trailer, it’s my opinion to pull one that I can walk in and out of and find shelter  from the weather, with your clothes on.  You got my number, call me if you want further thoughts. 
but they sure are cool and fun when the weather is perfect IMO. 

I'm curious what others here think about it. 

• Like 2

I think if you have a small vehicle that can't pull much it might be a good option, but I think I'd rather have a pop-up camper due to the stuff that Kelly stated.  

The goal is something with no moving parts

slideouts

tent trailers

popups

they all expose their weaknesses when in high wind desert events which is the majority of where I camp

thats why I want solid sided camper but something under 20’ length

might end up building at this rate

• Like 1

Lots of great smaller trailers without slides.  Anyway, happy hunting. 

@DSM8 I'm looking getting a trailer also.  However, I was thinking Utility trailer.  I recently took a small utility trailer 5x8 on a 2 week trip.  Found things I liked and didn't like with it.  I'm going to use that trip as guide for the one I get.   I want to haul a bike (maybe 2) and be able to sleep in it (if need be).

If you move forward with building one, I'd be interested in learning how you go about it and what you're going to put in it.

7 hours ago, J5ive said:

@DSM8 I'm looking getting a trailer also.  However, I was thinking Utility trailer.  I recently took a small utility trailer 5x8 on a 2 week trip.  Found things I liked and didn't like with it.  I'm going to use that trip as guide for the one I get.   I want to haul a bike (maybe 2) and be able to sleep in it (if need be).

If you move forward with building one, I'd be interested in learning how you go about it and what you're going to put in it.

At this rate I am looking at building out my own V nose tandem axle.
Will get one new or near new and build it up from there.

I am looking at the following for my build list, but it will come with a rear drop down door and at least 1 pedestrian door on the side.

• Linear actuators to lower bed from ceiling at rear of trailer
  • Solar
  • Front V contain the following
    • Cooktop - propane
    • Heater (water and interior)
    • storage for water etc
    • Refer
    • Full height closet floor to ceiling for riding gear etc to stow out of the way
  • Tung box for
    • Propane
    • Trailer stuff
  • Leveling jacks on 4 corners
  • External Hot Shower setup
  • LED Lights inside and out
  • Insulated on all 6 sides

What I don't want is to deal with plumbing which is why I am not looking for something that comes with a shower and toilet, always stay at camp grounds so those items are never an issue and will have provision for external hot shower if needed worse case.

Tie downs for 2 bikes will be installed into the floor and be flush/removable when not needed so you can walk around barefoot in trailer, will use some kind of solid surface flooring like Amtico or such. It wont have a TV or stereo installed, I am not a glamper.

Sumtin like this but without the beds on the side walls, those always annoyed me.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2002-Pace+American-Conquest+CQ720TA2-5024108842

41 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

At this rate I am looking at building out my own V nose tandem axle.
Will get one new or near new and build it up from there.

From the link, it looks like you're searching Utility Trailers, but from your description, it sounds like a Toy Hauler, especially with the drop down bed (it's a space saver).

If I buy new - I'm thinking...utility trailer, 6 or 7' wide, 7' tall and 12' long.  V nose for sure, going back and forth on the tandem axel.  If I buy used...I'll have to see what's out there.

Ramp door vs Barn door.   As far as the rear door, with your space at home, it doesn't matter for you.  I was looking at a ramp door, easier to load/unload.  But at home, I have limited space to park it, I think barn doors will work better for me.  I'll just need to bring a ramp with me.    If I park it at a storage yard, then ramp door.

If I keep it at my house, I might use the trailer to store a bike or two - the barn door will allow me to get a bike in and out without having to move the trailer.

@DSM8 ah-ha...thanks for the enlightenment...drop down from the side.  My mind went to a toy hauler with a bed that drops down from the ceiling, above where the toy is stored.

I like the one in the link MUCH more.  That's more of what's rattling around in my head. 

And keep in mind to sleep in a closed trailer with fuel fumes and smell its not healthy.  It will bite you later. Install some low vents.  I have build 4-5 motor camper on VW and MB base in the 70-80. There is a lot to concider when build your owne.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

And keep in mind to sleep in a closed trailer with fuel fumes and smell its not healthy.  It will bite you later. Install some low vents.  I have build 4-5 motor camper on VW and MB base in the 70-80. There is a lot to concider when build your owne.

This can s why I wanted one where bike was carried outside but those are proven to be outside my budget and this way bike wont be in trailer when sleeping, only during transport ,

I would rig up a venting system so whole time its being towed there would be a powered gent running to prevent any fuel vapor issues

Yeah, I have the hauler with the drop down from the ceiling bed. Sorry to chime in on this so late, but I felt my ears burning through the meds. I hadn't been on in a while but with 7 years building trailers and 20 years repairing, customizing and modifying RV's I figured I might be able to provide some insight. I might have a line on a few options depending on the total of requirements and concessions. For a non-toy hauler that you could setup with a bike rack on the back that is teardrop-esque with a bit of welding or bolting of hardware there are a lot of options. If you're looking at interior storage options there are still numerous options, like finding a model that has a bunkhouse option that you can pull out the bunks and add a door to load and unload through. Most all market options short of toy haulers would require mods of some sort of course and cutting down on what you actually have to build would be beneficial. The door for access is the easy part as there are companies that make custom doors. Walling in and sealing off is easy enough as well. The real question is how much work would you like to do... BTW,  DSM8, loved the reading materials, I still have them to return. Perhaps we could go through a little of a brainstorm/planning session for your project, we know I've got time to spare. I'm on the 5 year to a solid femur plan. They finally set some anchors in my shoulder to tie off those rotator cuff tears and they're healing nicely, but this is about trailers, not me thankfully, they're a lot easier to repair. It's all fun to me.

• Like 3

Hey Dave @DSM8. I’ve got a cargo trailer I built out, Although it’s never done. @J5iveand I have been chatting. If you guys get another bike maintenance day again, I can bring it by for you to check out.6x12 built for off road.

another option is to come see it this weekend if you are out and about. A friend and I will be out camping at Fish creek in Anza. No moto this weekend but we will be out shooting at the range just across Split Mountain Rd.

let me know.

-A2

Ill come by and take a look at it when your home, going all the way to Az to look at a trailer is not in the cards this weekend for me.
Where in N County are you located?

I’m in the Bonsall Vista area. DM me for more info.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:43 AM, BSon2or4 said:

Yeah, I have the hauler with the drop down from the ceiling bed. Sorry to chime in on this so late, but I felt my ears burning through the meds. I hadn't been on in a while but with 7 years building trailers and 20 years repairing, customizing and modifying RV's I figured I might be able to provide some insight. I might have a line on a few options depending on the total of requirements and concessions. For a non-toy hauler that you could setup with a bike rack on the back that is teardrop-esque with a bit of welding or bolting of hardware there are a lot of options. If you're looking at interior storage options there are still numerous options, like finding a model that has a bunkhouse option that you can pull out the bunks and add a door to load and unload through. Most all market options short of toy haulers would require mods of some sort of course and cutting down on what you actually have to build would be beneficial. The door for access is the easy part as there are companies that make custom doors. Walling in and sealing off is easy enough as well. The real question is how much work would you like to do... BTW,  DSM8, loved the reading materials, I still have them to return. Perhaps we could go through a little of a brainstorm/planning session for your project, we know I've got time to spare. I'm on the 5 year to a solid femur plan. They finally set some anchors in my shoulder to tie off those rotator cuff tears and they're healing nicely, but this is about trailers, not me thankfully, they're a lot easier to repair. It's all fun to me.

Brad good to hear from you  !

I built my own camper trailer a few years ago. Well I say built but really it's still not quite finished. It's a 7x14 cargo trailer, insulated and had the ceiling braced for an A/C from the factory. Built the cabinets and installed all the electrical stuff and whatnot myself. I didn't bother with any plumbing because I've only ever camped at places with showers and/or toilets. Or only an overnight or two and just made do without. I use a small propane camp stove and a countertop air fryer but I've been thinking about installing an induction cook top permanently since I have the space and it would be easy enough. There's a vent fan towards the front that's capable of pushing or pulling air into the trailer. 13.5K low profile A/C. 2-way compressor fridge that can run off the house battery. I use a small electric heater when it's cold. All LED lighting. 100AH Lithium house battery in the tongue box. I use a hybrid foam air mattress on a cot for sleeping, it packs away nicely to make room for the bikes in transit and isn't overly complicated. Currently have recessed d-rings on the four corners and e-track on the walls. I now use MotoPro EZ chocks (not in the pictures) on the walls, much easier for loading multiple bikes.

I originally wanted to do solar but after pricing out all the components (400W of panels, solar charge controller, inverter, useable battery bank, cabling, hardware, etc) it would have cost as much as a 3000W generator. The generator can run my A/C, solar could not. So I got a generator instead of solar. The lithium house battery I have is capable of running my fridge for a couple days off of a full charge and only needs a couple hours at most to charge with the generator running.

image1.jpeg.8b0bad9c17fb0c2b2836333b71f735cf.jpeg

image0.jpeg.f46b1e0d8e0131852f7edc74b8fb53ae.jpeg

Edited by TexasDualler
I'm bad at spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:26 PM, DSM8 said:

The goal is something with no moving parts

slideouts

tent trailers

popups

they all expose their weaknesses when in high wind desert events which is the majority of where I camp

thats why I want solid sided camper but something under 20’ length

might end up building at this rate

For what it's worth, I've had mine (pop-up) in torrential downpours, 40mph winds, and in temps from 25°-110°. No issues with weatherproofing or structural integrity.  The insulation isn't great but whatever.

I definitely get what you're saying though