padu

California BDR - 3 day ride in February'23

I'm planning and organizing a SoCal BDR trip in February of 2023. If you don't know what a BDR is, I suggest going to their website. It's super cool.

https://ridebdr.com/

• This is for INTERMEDIATE to EXPERT riders only.
  • Group will be between 3 and 6 riders. At this moment, there are 3 confirmed riders, so we only have 3 spots left. If we end-up with more than 6 people interested, there will be a waitlist.

The plan is:

• Feb. 10, [Thursday evening] meet in Yuma
  • Feb. 11, [Friday] Section 1, hotel in Blythe
  • Feb. 12, [Saturday] Section 2, 3 hotel in Primm
    As we get to Sahara Oasis, depending on how much daylight is available, we either continue to Primm off-road (end of section 3), or we take I-40 East to Needles
  • Feb. 13, [Sunday] Section 4 and ride until sunset, disband

• Like 3

@padu thanks for posting this!  The CABDR is fun and I hope it's good weather for your trip.

In regards to your itinerary, I think you may blast through Section 1 pretty quickly as you look like a talented rider. Unfortunately once you pass Blythe there aren't too many of the places to hotel until Primm. At the end of Stage 2 you could slab east to the river towards Needles.  Both Section 1 and 2 are relatively quick (especially i

@bboyle9 did the CABDR route winter 2020 and made it to Blythe from Yuma around noon. When I did it Spring 2021, I had lunch in Blythe then continued through Stage 2 and camped near Sahara Oasis (next to the loud train :confused:). Granted, April has slightly longer days and more sunlight than mid February

@Oracle has done the CABDR twice. Loren what was your itinerary / camp or hotel plan?

• Like 1

Rode out from SD and spent Night 1 in the wash just north of Yuma still south of Picacho State Recreational Area

1219260348_CABDR01.jpeg.74c5972c8994d00ea33555c67781b5ac.jpeg

Also could be considered Night 0 depending on who is counting haha

I've done it on an adventure bike and on my 500. I ride faster than most and probably longer hours per day. I start in Ramona and am in Yuma by noon (and that's with about 50/50 dirt / street ) for lunch. Gas up, grab some beer, and finish the ride out to Pichaco Campground for the first night. From Pichaco it's on trail to Blythe for gas and lunch. Continue on all the way to the Mojave National Preserve, where there are some great camp spots. Up in the morning, hit Primm for gas, and continue on to DV for a stop in Furnace creek, so on and so forth. I only camp. And I've had some amazing nights camping and some very horrible nights camping. One of the worst was on CABDR in March  2019 with Rigger Dan when we got caught in this....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2019_North_American_blizzard#:~:text=Rapid snowmelt following the storm,over a 24-hour period. Even though we were on the far west outskirts of this system, it was pretty gnarly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

I've done it on an adventure bike and on my 500. I ride faster than most and probably longer hours per day. I start in Ramona and am in Yuma by noon (and that's with about 50/50 dirt / street ) for lunch. Gas up, grab some beer, and finish the ride out to Pichaco Campground for the first night. From Pichaco it's on trail to Blythe for gas and lunch. Continue on all the way to the Mojave National Preserve, where there are some great camp spots. Up in the morning, hit Primm for gas, and continue on to DV for a stop in Furnace creek, so on and so forth. I only camp. And I've had some amazing nights camping and some very horrible nights camping. One of the worst was on CABDR in March  2019 with Rigger Dan when we got caught in this....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2019_North_American_blizzard#:~:text=Rapid snowmelt following the storm,over a 24-hour period. Even though we were on the far west outskirts of this system, it was pretty gnarly. 

Link to @Oracle and @Riggerdan 's 2019 trip:

@Oracle do you have a write up of the trip on your 500?

The hardways section outside of Primm is a long rocky climb up towards Colosseum Mine. It was bumpy when I did it but just grab the throttle and moving and it was fine. I've taken the powerline road on a different ride which isn't terribly fun. I prefer the hardways section.

Here is a picture but it doesn't represent the trail conditions I had. It's not a bad route but @bboyle9 met some KLR guys who abandoned their hard panniers midslope because they were getting too tired.

https://www.off-road.com/trails-events/trails/offroad-travel-colosseum-mine-kingston-wash-in-mojave-desert-53919.html

image.png.429b528a2fd02811301f497c0c545db7.png

image.png.e8efc17e6a2fb7e21011b3eae3b01e94.png

Did you ride the Intalgios loop? The trail was washed out and I lost the trail trail on the return northern portion and rode down a hammered wash before punching up the hillside to get back on track.

Edited by Goofy Footer
added pictures

On 12/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Rode out from SD and spent Night 1 in the wash just north of Yuma still south of Picacho State Recreational Area

1219260348_CABDR01.jpeg.74c5972c8994d00ea33555c67781b5ac.jpeg

Also could be considered Night 0 depending on who is counting haha

No tent? No sleeping bag?

• Like 1

No phone no lights no motor cars, not a single luxury, like Robinson Caruso, as primitive as can be. 

• Agree 1

@padu how is planning coming along for your trip?

Are you riding to Yuma the first morning on Day 1 or riding out at night the day before you launch from Yuma?

No tent for me on my trip - I did have a sleeping bag that I used the other nights (Bishop had a cold front move in and it was cold at night). It was plenty toasty in the wash before Picacho when I was there in early April 2021.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, Goofy Footer said:

@padu how is planning coming along for your trip?

Are you riding to Yuma the first morning on Day 1 or riding out at night the day before you launch from Yuma?

No tent for me on my trip - I did have a sleeping bag that I used the other nights (Bishop had a cold front move in and it was cold at night). It was plenty toasty in the wash before Picacho when I was there in early April 2021.

We decided to postpone to March, so if you had a problem with the Feb dates, here's your chance.

Yes, for this first trip it is ride in ride out. On the ride out, we might take a few sections from LAB2V coming back from Primm.