Goofy Footer

Holiday Riding in Anza Borrego

Is anybody riding the desert these holidays??

Winter is a Great time to ride the SD deserts. --> Are YOU headed out / looking for a riding buddy?  Safety in numbers!

@bfar33 & @350thumper have been hitting the dez with some regularity.

Some dualsport friends from LA are camping and riding from Stagecoach Trails Campground in Shelter Valley after xmas and before NYE.  Good people and it sounds like our own @PaulyPickles will be there. 

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/anza-borrego-meetup-camp-ride-dec-27-30-2022.1612811/

Edited by Goofy Footer
  • Like 2

Great job bringing every one together.  I like how you call out the riders one by one to ride and enjoy the Dez. Good energy. 

Me and bfar33 been holding it down out here for sure. Adv Trvlr has been keeping the trail fresh lately too, he's a good rider lots of knowledge. 

Dec 31 at 8 am there's a ride at the Red Feather restaurant.  We're gonna ride from there with guys and gals on dual sports from a different group. It should be fun to meet new folks and network that way.  We're going up to the peak and then back for lunch and then head north towards the mines after. Some sand involved but Mello pace. Everyone is welcome to join if they want to tag along with the group.

Are your friends from LA putting on a ride?

I'd like to do more exploring in Anza-Borrego with a group for safety.

Edited by 350thumper
Cheeseburgers fries and ice cold soda
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 350thumper said:

Great job bringing every one together.  I like how you call out the riders one by one to ride and enjoy the Dez. Good energy.  

Me and bfar33 been holding it down out here for sure. Adv Trvlr has been keeping the trail fresh lately too, he's a good rider lots of knowledge.  

Dec 31 at 8 am there's a ride at the Red Feather restaurant.  We're gonna ride from there with guys and gals on dual sports from a different group. It should be fun to meet new folks and network that way.  We're going up to the peak and then back for lunch and then head north towards the mines after. Some sand involved but Mello pace. Everyone is welcome to join if they want to tag along with the group. 

Are your friends from LA putting on a ride?

I'd like to do more exploring in Anza-Borrego with a group for safety.

@350thumper the LA ADV crew will be riding daily on dualsports from Stagecoach Trails Campground.

When you say peak on the NYE Red Feather Ride... is that Coyote Mountain?

I'm not really sure what peak it's one of those by there . . It's not my ride Im Just tagging along . 

https://hikingwithtj.com/carrizo-mountain-coyote-mountains-wilderness-high-point-peak-2007-wells-benchmark-and-ocotillo-benchmark-04-12-2020/

Seasonal Gate closes access to Carrizo Mountain in the Coyote Mountain Wilderness from Jan 1 to July 1 for native sheep mating. Riding to the peak before the gate closure was a yearly goal back in the day for @Spaugh and looks like your friends are carrying on the tradition!

image.thumb.png.3b71e42fccfe6cf7e2f98a5bc89aad5d.png

image.thumb.png.39ff6eeb0a91446800180d72db7d905d.png

9 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Riding to the peak before the gate closure was a yearly goal back in the day for @Spaugh and looks like your friends are carrying on the tradition!

Brad's the avo man now.  If you want to start an avocado grove, he's your huckleberry.  A wealth of knowledge about those trees. 
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=49656.msg478268#msg478268

I stumbled across his posts researching my own avo endeavors.

8 hours ago, Sneeker said:

Brad's the avo man now.  If you want to start an avocado grove, he's your huckleberry.  A wealth of knowledge about those trees. 
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=49656.msg478268#msg478268

I stumbled across his posts researching my own avo endeavors.

Oh man. That’s a deep rabbit hole for me. I have recklessly slaughtered 7 avo trees that I’d invested 5 years of water and worry into. I have a black thumb. 
I am tempted to re-engage, …

…. But should probably stick to riding moti-sickles. 

6 hours ago, Zubb said:

Oh man. That’s a deep rabbit hole for me. I have recklessly slaughtered 7 avo trees that I’d invested 5 years of water and worry into. I have a black thumb. 
I am tempted to re-engage, … 

I hope you bring the avocado tree wood to the campout out next week and we can honor your murdered trees but using the wood for warmth around the fire.

Then we can upcycle the remaining carbon material and create fertilizer so you can regrow said avocado trees and provide us guacamole on a future campout and ride!

• Like 1

Nothing would make me happier. 
well,…. Maybe not nothing …

Thanks for the prompt Goofy, and for the info on ADV rider (san Diego zone, and the link there to the riders cruising around later this week from stagecoach).  I had planned all along to ride this week to find the gate to Coyote unlocked before Jan 1, and then buzz up to the bridge, and then over to superstition, and then with a possible stop at Camachos and end it with a cruise through Yuha back to ocotillo (on a 525, not a T7. likely solo).  I'll carry some gas unless I plan for a quick stop after superstition.  I am hesitant to open invite due to a recent biff 9 weeks ago that still has me sidelined (Damn ribs are taking forever!! and still haven't ridden yet).  So unsure if after a few miles I will need to throw in the towel and baby it home. I'll likely calmly cruise to enjoy the winter desert.  Might rain later in the week, so packing up tomorrow morning may be the choice, but not sure yet. 

Goofy, well done on the prompts for Anza and Death Valley.  Thanks, Mac. 

42 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

possible stop at Camachos  

Ohhh damn good reminder it’s been too long, might plan a quesadilla run soon as well!!

Had a great ride, but did skip Camacho's as the web site stated that it was closed.  FYI. 

Dezert Conditions report : I hour of heavy rain early this morning around 4 am. 

Sand is wet.  No dust.  Blue skies with 5mph wind to the east.  12mph gusts. 

20221231_090939.thumb.jpg.60c30f93c8ed2f5baf97f1dcb06016ac.jpg

• Like 2