Goofy Footer

ADVrider Death Valley Noob Rally 2023 Mar 22-26

This is the 16th Annual NOOB Rally hosted by Joel (NSFW) from ADVrider. Each year it is held at Panamint Springs Resort in West DV. It is a beginner friendly, noob event that books up Fast so keep up on the thread. Our own @DSM8 has attended Many years and has consistently volunteered as the Search and Rescue Coordinator for the event. He and others on this site are a wealth of information about DV.

This event is not affiliated with SDAR but it is a great event and has donated thousands of dollars over the years to charitable organizations that support the sport.

Death Valley has riding for all levels from gravel roads to some technical, scenic 2 track. Panamint Springs is an ideal location as you can hit dirt in 2 miles if you turn left OR right from the campground.

March 22-26

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2023-death-valley-noobs-rally-march-22-26.1603933/

image.png.c2d3803178d02c656a987582c8e9310b.png

• Like 1

WHO is going this year? @DSM8, @Dan Diego and @Zubb what say ye?

Is anybody RIDING to the event? @PaulyPickles & @tntmo

It could be a great noob opportunity @Birdi and has a family friend @Angela / @Hawkins

Seasoned DV guys will enjoy it too @MacDuncan

It would be a good Rally to attend and bring your camper trailers to stage from  @J5ive, @A 2 & @97xr400r

Come test out your new hitch hauler @moto_rph and this is ideal DRZ riding @ECDave

• Like 1

I am on the fence this year but signed up at this time, going as of now.

28 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

I am on the fence this year but signed up at this time, going as of now.

Nice! What bike are you thinking? The 990 could be fun to rip on and branch out to Lone Pine for lunch or China Ranch for a date shake.

Have never been to this but have wanted to for many years. My Feb Mar April are packed already. 

I'd like to attend...however, it might have to be next year.  I think I might still be on the mend come March.  I'll know more very soon.

23 hours ago, Zubb said:

Have never been to this but have wanted to for many years. My Feb Mar April are packed already. 

@Zubb never been to DV or never been to the Noob Rally?

13 hours ago, moto_rph said:

I'm checking the calendar, trust me :)

@moto_rph It's a great time and you can ride mellow big bike rides to some techy 2 track

9 hours ago, J5ive said:

I'd like to attend...however, it might have to be next year.  I think I might still be on the mend come March.  I'll know more very soon.

@J5ive Healing takes priority I agree. This is a fun social rally, if you want to escape the house you could always come up with a jeep to check the old mines or something and be social for the campfires!

• Like 2

@Goofy Footer you hit the nail on the head...I was thinking that exact thought - get out of the house and be with like minded people and hopefully learn a few things.  We need to talk about this - give me a call sometime soon.

I have a story about Panamint Springs Resort...from many years back, I think it's funny, my wife...not so much.  I had a blast - but paid the price the next morning...

Goofy Footer,

Thanks for passing the link about my trailer builder too J5ive. I still have that trailer. I haven’t been on this site for quite a while, just doing other things. Thanks to your passing on the link I came here to see what was going on and discovered the Noobs Rally was March 22-26. I have been planning to ride that weekend in Death Valley with some friends for months ito celebrate my 70th birthday.(March 27). I’m going to sign up for the rally and maybe I will see you and J5ive there.

John

On 12/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, Goofy Footer said:

@Zubb never been to DV or never been to the Noob Rally?

@moto_rph

Not the Rally. Did spend a day on the west side. Cerro Gordo before the fire and a couple other POI’s. But haven’t been able to really “do DV “ yet. That and CABDR are both a burr under my saddle. Gotta make them a priority. 

On 12/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, J5ive said:

@Goofy Footer you hit the nail on the head...I was thinking that exact thought - get out of the house and be with like minded people and hopefully learn a few things.  We need to talk about this - give me a call sometime soon.

I have a story about Panamint Springs Resort...from many years back, I think it's funny, my wife...not so much.  I had a blast - but paid the price the next morning...

Lets save that story for when I see you at this Rally!  Congrats on the new bike.

If you could rent a jeep or 4wd vehicle you could explore a lot in the Park and still attend this event. The event books up quickly so make sure to check that ADV thread. Reservations open Jan 1 at 10am

On 12/21/2022 at 9:41 PM, CableJockey said:

Goofy Footer,

Thanks for passing the link about my trailer builder too J5ive. I still have that trailer. I haven’t been on this site for quite a while, just doing other things. Thanks to your passing on the link I came here to see what was going on and discovered the Noobs Rally was March 22-26. I have been planning to ride that weekend in Death Valley with some friends for months ito celebrate my 70th birthday.(March 27). I’m going to sign up for the rally and maybe I will see you and J5ive there.

John

@CableJockey !! Good to hear from you and congrats on the upcoming 70 years on this planet!  The Rally would be a great way to celebrate and you know your way around DV. I'm not sure what bike(s) you have these days but here is a group at the Rally who will be doing rides on Honda Monkey's and TW200 size bikes and plenty of people bring big adv style bikes so all riding its welcome.

The trailer would be an excellent choice to bring. The event does book fast so I would certainly be ready to go Jan 1 at 10am to reserve a spot. Getting there a day early and/or leaving Monday vs Sunday would get you some quiet time in the campground as well.

Keep us posted if you book it!

On 12/22/2022 at 12:43 PM, Zubb said:

Not the Rally. Did spend a day on the west side. Cerro Gordo before the fire and a couple other POI’s. But haven’t been able to really “do DV “ yet. That and CABDR are both a burr under my saddle. Gotta make them a priority.  

@Zubb!!  One day for the west side of Continental America's Largest National Park surely isn't enough.  I have spoken with the Moto Gods and they are actively compelling you to return for a proper tour.

Did you Salt Tram?!

1826138771_DVNoobs2022SaltTram01.thumb.jpeg.8ea096dd7d6fd427727e28b9c693082f.jpeg

• Like 1

I saw it and pondered the labor that went into building and using the thing. Did not climb into it and go for a ride though. 
I really want to explore DV and the Sierras more. There is so dang much to see on this state. 

48 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I saw it and pondered the labor that went into building and using the thing. Did not climb into it and go for a ride though. 
I really want to explore DV and the Sierras more. There is so dang much to see on this state. 

Lots to see indeed! Lets get a ride going once I'm back in the saddle. One could even take the CABDR and pitstop at the noob rally to play in DV before continuing to Benton.

May I entice you with a quick video of the stars of Saline Valley

• Like 2

Goofy Footer,

No, I have not seen that mine but would like to. 
I'm riding a KTM 790 Adventure R. It makes me look like I know how to ride. 

On 12/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, Goofy Footer said:

WHO is going this year? @DSM8, @Dan Diego and @Zubb what say ye?

Come test out your new hitch hauler @moto_rph and this is ideal DRZ riding @ECDave

I will be there!  And since I'm so badass and iron butt, I'll be driving my pickup and hopefully getting a cabin :)

So who's going to the Noob's Rally? Are you riding or driving up? Once there, is it better to have a 1290ish bike, a 690ish bike or a 500ish bike?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SANRider said:

So who's going to the Noob's Rally? Are you riding or driving up? Once there, is it better to have a 1290ish bike, a 690ish bike or a 500ish bike?

type of bike is a good question....I'd like to know also

12 hours ago, SANRider said:

Yes. 

From what I’ve seen online for years, you decide and there will be plenty of riders there to hook up with. 
@dsm8 to the white phone please…

On 12/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, CableJockey said:

Goofy Footer,

No, I have not seen that mine but would like to. 
I'm riding a KTM 790 Adventure R. It makes me look like I know how to ride. 

There is always more to see!  Have you been to Cerro Gordo?

I registered, will be on the 690.  

On 12/30/2022 at 10:05 PM, SANRider said:

On 12/31/2022 at 9:52 AM, moto_rph said:

type of bike is a good question....I'd like to know also

Depends on what you're looking for as DV has big miles for touring but also has some rocky 2 track.

I would lean towards the 690 since it balances both well and if it's your first time in the Park I would suggest some big rides to feel the expanse of it all.  DV is the largest National Park in the Continental USA.

A 500 is highly capable and totally doable in DV if you have 125 mile fuel range (you can always carry a fuel bladder).  One good ride I can think of ends with an hour slab across the park towards camp after doing over 100 miles of dirt.

I've done that ride home in the dark on a 5 speed WR250f with a stock seat and  @bboyle9 slabbed that same bike back from the beach dunes of San Antonio Del Mar in Baja to Tecate too BUT everybody is different.

A more comfortable 690 may be the ticket