bfar33

Hand wringing over hand guards

Just curious what the fine folks here suggest for handguards on a dual-sport/adventure bike like a DR650? I'm trying to decide between the Cycra Probends or trying some flag style just to deflect the cactus I inevitably find on the edges of trails.

I don't like wraparounds on dirt bikes/enduros because they kind of get in the way, and I've heard they can even be dangerous. I've almost always run full wraparounds on dual sports though, I like the wind protection and reduced risk of breaking a lever in Mexico. Also they're a bit sturdier in case I accidentally bump into larger branches or mirrors.

Seems like most Dakar bikes have wraparounds, and most extreme enduro bikes have flag style (I think wraparounds are against the rules). What do y'all suggest? None? Flag style? Plastic wraparound? Metal wraparound?

image.thumb.png.1c60541d50921cac4a74a7f50d019017.png

image.thumb.png.a0ab4854094d70741e3ee799d48fecb7.png

image.thumb.png.6cd66866380836f2c4e11820c20ac0c5.png

image.thumb.png.e4f0a00ca94c672007a4b9ad3cf08858.png

image.thumb.png.548a62134e958c26ef963b279b35b099.png

On the dual sport bikes (all sizes) its the wrap arounds because they protect in the event of a top over

and 

Provide much more protection of errant branches hitting the hands or controls when the trails get a little skinny.
They also protect from car mirrors.....

The people that dont like the wrap around style are riding their dirt bikes like trials bikes and fly over the bars alot. Us mere mortals will benefit from the wrap around style and most likely never experience getting trapped behind the guards. I prefer Cycra because they are made in America, and they dont bend very easy ( I have tried on numerous occasions!!) Be afraid of the look a likes on Amazon, inferior Aluminum.

• Like 1

The Cycra ones @ECDave recommended are great, I have Barkbusters which are very similar:

image.png.2e9f709020e1881df3f0be6cb8c0f839.png

Cycra, or Barkbusters, or even a few other good brands out there - the aluminum wrap around style are great for branch & bushwhacking on the trails. Have seen dudes take some pretty supreme diggers with these types of guards on and their controls are always safe, things are solid. 

Edited by shutterrev

Have used on all sub 500cc bikes, 1-1/8 Bars and recommend these in order. I will not run a bike without handguards. I suck bad enough that i need them way more than the bike. I will not run HDB unless it has two or more pistons due to the mounting system inducing too many vibs.

Cycra Ultra Probend CRM ** I have a Brand new set that you can buy if you want

Cycra Probend Enduro

Cycra Probend CRM

Enduro Engineering Evolution Debris Deflectors ** I have a Brand new set but in KX Green

Tusk D-Flex Pro Handguards

Acerbis Rally Profile Handguards ** I am not Tobey Price and my hands are longer insured like his so these are No Bueno for dirt but ok for street IMO.

Cycra MX Alloy Stealth – Street Only IMO

OEM or Acerbis Flags since 2008, my daughter did an OTB and snapped her wrist, plus I like my bikes in FIM enduro trim. As stated no closed guards per FIM enduro and MX safety rules. 

Additionally , For my last few bikes I runs ARC Memlon unbreakable levers and always run my levers well inside the ends of my bars. Many friends run Moose or other elephant ears in the big cactus areas to ward off spines to the hands. You can see many of these setups in the recent Tecate Enduro.  Most of my crew run open flags but there are exceptions and some do use closed flexible plastic types like the older OEM KTM type or Acerbis types, these in standard configuration allow for handlebar flex and can break free if needed. (Yes I know Cycra and others have flex mount set ups too). My 2006 TE450 was the last bike I rode with closed guards and they were Cycra, stout and bullet proof. So many choices, my mantra as the years have passed is less is more. Less weight less parts less gear etc etc 

@bfar33 I don't know about you but I don't have a pro mechanic who rides with me and is eager to install new grips after I destroy them after running flag guards when I crash (and I will crash).  The big DR crashes with some weight behind it!

Cycra Probend

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/cycra-probend-crm-handguard-racer-pack-1-1-8"-bars-p

or

Highway Dirt Bikes. They sell 2 options one with a top plate and one similar to Cycras. Both come with mirror options.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=HDB-100

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=HG-900

For either of the wrap around designs I highly recommend these Moose Elephant Ears for cold weather riding - it really helps with ice cold wind deflection

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/moose-racing-foam-handguards-p

image.png.a00fa4f1f7e6640994065efe1d4b788b.png

Used them on the AZBDR in Flagstaff when it was in the 30s and never took them off the rest of the ride. Rode the DR door 2 door thuuuuumpin (cycra probend)

2084505508_DR650AZBDRLakeMead.thumb.JPG.a6df087f8bba2a08c435eff5a241a9f0.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Have used on all sub 500cc bikes, 1-1/8 Bars and recommend these in order. I will not run a bike without handguards. I suck bad enough that i need them way more than the bike. I will not run HDB unless it has two or more pistons due to the mounting system inducing too many vibs.

Cycra Ultra Probend CRM ** I have a Brand new set that you can buy if you want

Cycra Probend Enduro

Cycra Probend CRM

Enduro Engineering Evolution Debris Deflectors ** I have a Brand new set but in KX Green

Tusk D-Flex Pro Handguards

Acerbis Rally Profile Handguards ** I am not Tobey Price and my hands are longer insured like his so these are No Bueno for dirt but ok for street IMO.

Cycra MX Alloy Stealth – Street Only IMO

Nice, thanks for the offer. Are they for 7/8" bars or 1-1/8"? What color? The most likely scenario is I end up getting those or similar. Not a huge fan of the Cycra fitment on DR650's but the Ultra's might do a better job.

Edited by bfar33

6 hours ago, robertaccio said:

OEM or Acerbis Flags since 2008, my daughter did an OTB and snapped her wrist, plus I like my bikes in FIM enduro trim. As stated no closed guards per FIM enduro and MX safety rules. 

Additionally , For my last few bikes I runs ARC Memlon unbreakable levers and always run my levers well inside the ends of my bars. Many friends run Moose or other elephant ears in the big cactus areas to ward off spines to the hands. You can see many of these setups in the recent Tecate Enduro.  Most of my crew run open flags but there are exceptions and some do use closed flexible plastic types like the older OEM KTM type or Acerbis types, these in standard configuration allow for handlebar flex and can break free if needed. (Yes I know Cycra and others have flex mount set ups too). My 2006 TE450 was the last bike I rode with closed guards and they were Cycra, stout and bullet proof. So many choices, my mantra as the years have passed is less is more. Less weight less parts less gear etc etc 

I agree, I went from the KTM plastic wraparounds on my last enduro (really liked them actually) to flags and bar-ends, to now just flags and the occasional new set of lock on grips.

On the DR I'm still leaning towards wraparounds just to protect the controls for long periods of time away from home. Totally agree with your less is more statement, I'm moving the same direction as I get older.

Did find some interesting flag options though that seem much beefier (may not fit on the DR but considering for the dirtbike).

https://enduroeng.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151306

https://slavensracing.com/shop/burly-handguards-by-sxs/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

@bfar33 I don't know about you but I don't have a pro mechanic who rides with me and is eager to install new grips after I destroy them after running flag guards when I crash (and I will crash).  The big DR crashes with some weight behind it!

Cycra Probend

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/cycra-probend-crm-handguard-racer-pack-1-1-8"-bars-p

or

Highway Dirt Bikes. They sell 2 options one with a top plate and one similar to Cycras. Both come with mirror options.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=HDB-100

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=HG-900

For either of the wrap around designs I highly recommend these Moose Elephant Ears for cold weather riding - it really helps with ice cold wind deflection

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/moose-racing-foam-handguards-p

Used them on the AZBDR in Flagstaff when it was in the 30s and never took them off the rest of the ride. Rode the DR door 2 door thuuuuumpin (cycra probend)

I have an amateur mechanic that follows me everywhere I go and does all of my bike maintenance. He also is the one who rides my bikes (he isn't too great at that either). That's why I always keep a spare set of ODI lock-on grips in a bin. 🙊

I'll probably end up with Cycra's. Love the elephant ears though, will likely grab a set to try out.

Edited by bfar33

8 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Nice, thanks for the offer. Are they for 7/8" bars or 1-1/8"? What color? The most likely scenario is I end up getting those or similar. Not a huge fan of the Cycra fitment on DR650's but the Ultra's might do a better job.

I thought they were Ultra (On another bike i guess) but they are not. All my bars are 1-1/8" and in KTM bend due to my wrists but i don't have the mounts. See my For Sale Ad

8 hours ago, bfar33 said:

I agree, I went from the KTM plastic wraparounds on my last enduro (really liked them actually) to flags and bar-ends, to now just flags and the occasional new set of lock on grips.

On the DR I'm still leaning towards wraparounds just to protect the controls for long periods of time away from home. Totally agree with your less is more statement, I'm moving the same direction as I get older.

Did find some interesting flag options though that seem much beefier (may not fit on the DR but considering for the dirtbike).

https://enduroeng.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151306

https://slavensracing.com/shop/burly-handguards-by-sxs/

check these SXS HD flags ,

some of my crew are using these, same material as their skid plates

Handguards | SXSLIDEPLATE 

Giant Loop makes super beefy elephant ears these are what many of the local anti cactus crew is using

Bushwackers Hand Guards™ - Giant Loop (giantloopmoto.com)

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

Giant Loop makes super beefy elephant ears these are what many of the local anti cactus crew is using

Bushwackers Hand Guards™ - Giant Loop (giantloopmoto.com)

@robertaccio I had forgotten about these version. I've used the Moose Ones for years - they are foam / neoprene type. I've used them for seat cushions at times. Both the Moose and Giant Loop versions look like the stow away easily under a dry sack during moto travel.

Cactus protection and snow / cold weather buffering - Elephant Ears are our friends!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the input fellas. I'm deciding between the SXS (why are they so expensive?) and the Cycra Ultra's most likely. Guess I'll get some fat bars first so I don't have to buy different mounts if I bend the stock steel bars.

Really like the idea of being able to use the Moose elephant ears as a seat cushion or similar so I'll probably grab those too.

🍻Cheers

Honestly the TUSK brand are also pretty decent for the money, I have run them on numerous bikes for others that were more price conscious and were very crash oriented (e.g. they crash a LOT) and they have held up fine, you dont really need to spend all that money for what is in essence a consumable.

Da SH!T you need for less $$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

Honestly the TUSK brand are also pretty decent for the money, I have run them on numerous bikes for others that were more price conscious and were very crash oriented (e.g. they crash a LOT) and they have held up fine, you dont really need to spend all that money for what is in essence a consumable.

Da SH!T you need for less $$$

Great point, and great deal (40% off right now!). I have ridden a DR with those Tusk handguards quite a bit and I have no complaints. The only reason I like the Cycra's better is the bend right at the end of the handlebar, although that can potentially let branches sneak past.

4 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Thanks for all of the input fellas. I'm deciding between the SXS (why are they so expensive?) and the Cycra Ultra's most likely. Guess I'll get some fat bars first so I don't have to buy different mounts if I bend the stock steel bars.

Really like the idea of being able to use the Moose elephant ears as a seat cushion or similar so I'll probably grab those too.

🍻Cheers

SXS Made in USA.......instead of the ever-present PRC stuff.......you have AXP from France as well for very similar to SXS stuff (and not PRC made). I use AXP skid plates on my stuff.

I called SXS earlier and asked a few questions (pretty sure it was the owner who answered). He gave me a coupon code for 10% (Code is EB10) and I went ahead about bought a set. If I don't like 'em on the DR I'll throw them on the KTM for McCain. I have the Acerbis Uniko's on there now and a decent sized branch will fold the handguard right into the brake lever.

I'll try to remember to post an update here once they show up.

• Like 1

Note for acerbis most have little cut outs to use a zip tie as a strengthening loop, hard to explain I will see if I can snap a shot of TE610 for what I am talking about. Just that zip tie loop holds the flag in place when hitting lite stuff.