Koonzee

Glamis Dunes: 12/17 & 12/24-NYE - Any Interest?

San Diego Adventure Riders,

Happy Holidays!  I am posting to learn if anyone on the forum may be interested in exploring Glamis Dunes this weekend (12/7) or during the week between Christmas and January first. 

Last month, I finally purchased a CRF450X and recently went to Glamis Dunes during the Thankgiving holiday weekend.  Although I still have a lot to learn about riding sand dunes, I had a great time.  I explored the dunes relatively close to base camp (north side) and even climbed Oldsmobile Hill.  (What a 55 years old guy will not do to feel 13 again!!!)  Anyhow, it would be nice to join one or two other riders to explore Glamis Dunes further from base-camp, just in case of a mechanical failure or injury.  I would eventually like to visit all the points of interests within Glamis and perhaps cross the dunes north to south or vice versa sometime.  

By the way, I live in the Sorrento Valley area and am interested in exploring other off-road recreational parks in SoCal within a half a days drive.  Since the CRF is street legal, I am also open to a mix of both on and off road routes.

Cheers,

Koonzee

20221126_153049.jpg

20221126_152931.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Btw, my other ride is more than 200 pounds heavier than the CRF.  What a difference 30 years of newer technology, 200 pounds of less weight and a proper suspension makes when riding in the sand!  At least I can pick up the CRF by myself....

XRV750 Dumont Dunes.jpg

• Like 2

Are you gonna be on that paddle or will you be using a street /dirt tire ?

Interested..

350 Thumper:

Hello.  I have ridden with both the paddle & knobbies in the sand dunes.  I like the paddle better and will be riding with it in the dunes in the future.  I travel with both since I have an extra set of wheels.  Thanks asking.

Koonzee

Btw, if either of us learn we are incompatible riders after two minutes or two hours, we can simply go our separate ways.  No hard feelings.  I understand a trip to Glamis involves considerable time, effort & expense.  I don't want be the guy to prevent someone from 'riding their ride' at their pace.  No problem.  It goes both ways.  I have done a lot of solo riding.  I have learned I prefer to finish the ride/goal without injuries or destroying the motorcycle, than pushing the limits of either myself or the motorcycle. 

I car camp in  Yukon XL and use a motorcycle carrier. I am fairly simple at camp.  I try to bring enough to address most mechanical issues while away from home.   Spare parts & tools are a higher priority than excessive camping & cooking gear. 

Cheers,

Koonzee

Edited by Koonzee
  • Like 1

Nice to someone riding the dunes. Moved to Texas and you don’t know how good you got it in SoCal until you try to ride Texas.

I was doing Glamis once a month from San Diego. I got a 428 mile loop with iterations to make it longer. 
mid recommend riding to and from with a knobbie. It beats trailering and you get to ride more. 
there are a couple of places to cool off in the summer and there’s no traffic in the summer either. 
but until you get use to the area and your bike’s reliability, you’re on track looking for someone to ride with. 
three main areas of the Imperial Sand dunes are Glamis which you know off the 78. And Gordon’s Well and Buttercup off the I-8.

you can access all three from each other. Buttercup tends to have deeper wind blown sand as it’s the less traveled in the summer. Glamis has the best variety IMO. 

Let me know if you got any questions. Ride on, be safe!

49FFAD0E-D370-4C70-9720-0AC0D79C30FE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So Cal dezerts are a blast . Glad there's interest .  CRF's post up . Let's get a ride going.

Screenshot_20221211-075527_Gallery.thumb.jpg.72f0b9fe7c70c9a9868c7043cc8c013b.jpg

Edited by 350thumper

3 hours ago, 350thumper said:

So Cal dezerts are a blast . Glad there's interest .  CRF's post up . Let's get a ride going.

Back in the Honda days

Picture 241.jpg

DSCF0565.JPG

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Slaugo said:

Nice to someone riding the dunes. Moved to Texas and you don’t know how good you got it in SoCal until you try to ride Texas.

I was doing Glamis once a month from San Diego. I got a 428 mile loop with iterations to make it longer. 
mid recommend riding to and from with a knobbie. It beats trailering and you get to ride more. 
there are a couple of places to cool off in the summer and there’s no traffic in the summer either. 
but until you get use to the area and your bike’s reliability, you’re on track looking for someone to ride with. 
three main areas of the Imperial Sand dunes are Glamis which you know off the 78. And Gordon’s Well and Buttercup off the I-8.

you can access all three from each other. Buttercup tends to have deeper wind blown sand as it’s the less traveled in the summer. Glamis has the best variety IMO. 

Let me know if you got any questions. Ride on, be safe!

49FFAD0E-D370-4C70-9720-0AC0D79C30FE.jpeg

@Slaugo! Great to hear from you!

Do you still have your 450L? How many miles are on it now?

I’m curious your route to Glamis and back to SD.

You really pumped out some big mile rides and still are the Mileage King on ADV for the 450L from what I saw. 

How’s Texas?

• Agree 1

For those that don't know @Slaugo he is quite the prolific rider and would consistently rip SD City to Glamis on his 450L big mile days --- in summer! 

He definitely throws it down in terms of big miles.

@kato and @97xr400r are hooligans of this ilk as well. @Zubb too and he has promised a rip up Blowsand Hill on his BMW with a full glass of bourbon in hand - hopefully poured by yours truly. Hope to see all you guys out there soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Koonzee the area east of Glamis towards Picacho State Park and south to Yuma is excellent for dualsport riding (traditional tire). I highly recommend it.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

@Koonzee the area east of Glamis towards Picacho State Park and south to Yuma is excellent for dualsport riding (traditional tire). I highly recommend it.

Continue southeast towards Tombstone and then on towards the Dragoon Mt. Towards Chiricahua National forest and you’ll just about be clear of AZ on your way to NM👍🏽

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Screenshot_20221218-192355.thumb.png.eda0f1381a4004bf2f0caaf883b98b5b.png

Edited by 97xr400r

All:  Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Slaugo:  Thank you for your post and suggestions.  I will certainly checkout Gordon's Well & Buttercup.  If you have not already explored CO, I would highly suggest exploring the region around Ouray.  It is a special place.  Hopefully, you are not too far from CO.  Telluride & Taylor Park region are nice also.  Checkout the Backcountry Discovery Routes.  There is beauty everywhere...  I almost moved to Austin 18 years ago but decided to move to San Diego after receiving a job offer with 3Com.  Sometimes, I wish I could experience a few years in TX, especially Austin's music and festival scene.  iHeart Radio is providing my fix for local country music from TX.  I am originally from Ohio.

Goofy Footer:  Thank you for your suggestion of exploring the areas east of Glamis, Picacho SP and south of Yuma.  It is appreciated.

I had another good ride at Glamis and am fine tuning my riding, gaining trust in the motorcycle and learning what is needed to be prepared in the desert.  I am really loving the CRF450X.  What a piece of awesome engineering.  It runs strong and cool.  Engine temps were between 150-180 this past weekend while hauling me around the dunes.  No regrets with the CRF except for not buying it sooner.  I am unsure of my desert tank capacity, but it was good for 4.5-5 hours of constant riding, dune climbing and idling at the top of the dunes.  Although I have had a couple close calls.... I have not dropped the CRF yet.

In order to enjoy the dunes without the stress of managing time (daylight) and precious fuel, I will definitely travel with a fuel bladder (US Military obtained in AUS) and a very lightweight tent and down bag in the future.  It is not a pleasant feeling to get lost, ride to the top of 50+ dune peaks and backtrack to scout out an exit route, all while burning precious daylight and fuel.  Lesson learned!

I was surprised very few duners were out January first.  Most campers must have traveled from far away and used Jan. first as a travel day.  The early morning rain made the conditions perfect IMO.  Once I was south of Oldsmobile Hill, I probably rode two hours without seeing any duners (side by sides, motorcycles, etc).  While trying to reach China Wall, I got turned-around and ended up far southwest of China Wall and rode as far 'south' until I could see white campers.  I thought I was facing 'south'.  Then, while trying to ride north....(I was actually riding east), thinking the next dune would provide an oasis or landmark to expose the route home.  If you ever attempted to ride west to east across northern third of Glamis you can relate to endless dunes.  Prior to riding 'north' (true east), I passed the Swingset and Veterans Memorial.  A stranded 25 year duner veteran who was waiting for a side-by-side belt was a road angel.  He helped me with directions and suggested a couple landmarks to ride towards.  Ironically, after talking with him, I gravitated towards the eastern course again and never saw the mountains with the communication towers we discussed. The wind was also becoming very strong. I finally saw some duners in the far west riding south through a wide wash....the easiest route to the true north.  I rode the wash/route and gravitated towards an eastern route again...thinking I was traveling north.  The campers that I thought were in the south, were actually the campers in the west at Roadrunner, per the veteran duner.  

Another set of side-by-sides eventually crossed my view and provided more optimism that I was exiting via a northern route.  I ended up exiting the dunes around wash 22 or 32. ( I am unsure.)  Another road angel provided some fuel as a precaution and I managed to return to camp without any fuel issues.  My camp was just west of the Glamis Beach Store. 

I will return during MLK Jr. holiday weekend and hope to test my Garmin Basecamp routes for parts of the Grand Tour (China Wall, The Wall, The Ceiling, Phil's Wall, No Name(?), Swing Set, Granite and Oldsmobile).  The Veteran duner also suggested Duner's Diner.  It appears to be a must-do destination at least once for a heart attack breakfast.  I simply need to workout the logistics of refueling or carrying more fuel for a 6-7 hour day with sufficient reserve for getting lost.

Take care & ride safely!

Cya down the road... or on the dunes!

Edited by Koonzee
typos
  • Like 2

For those who have not ridden Glamis, here is the Swingset.  It felt great to relax on the swing for a few minutes.

20230101_103101.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Koonzee said:

20230102_105250.jpg

Hey Koonzee, way ahead of you. Been checking out Co and Ark, Miss and Louisiana which I hadn’t ridden in decades.

four of use tore up New Mexico and Southern CO for 7 days in Aug. weather was epic. 

for Glamis you can always triangulate. Sand Highway runs from Gecko road to Gordon’s well. Approx 28 miles. On the west side of the imperial sand dunes. 
From the Glamis store the washes # run along the east side all the way to Gordon’s well. You only have a approx 3 mile walk east or west if you break down. Patton Valley is approx half way between Gordon’s and the beach store, 
start recognizing the mountain silhouette from the tops of your nearest highest peak and you’ll almost never get lost.

the Veteren memorial is know as flag pole. On my 450L I carry up to 6 gallons as I ride out and back from San Diego. So sometimes I bury containers and retrieve them later so I don’t have to carry the weight. 

we lived in Austin (Pflugerville) for a few years before moving back to Diego. Austin and San Antonio are about as close to SoCal as you’ll get in Texas.

also take the time to adjust your valves to the top of spec. The motor will run cooler and you’ll go longer in between adjustments.

sometimes China Wall gets super steep and some times it’s blown super easy. 

when sand is wet it’s much easier to ride, but much tougher on the motor, so use caution and let the motor cool if the fan comes on. 

summer time is best as you don’t have to worry about the idiotic traffic out there. Or at least mid week. 

ride on, be safe!

014EC504-0C33-49DA-8694-1F8D7515119E.jpeg

• Like 2

Screenshot_20230107-072326_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f2b83b813357364806d6365f7a6c43a1.jpg

That's awesome you guys were  able to get out and go ride. 

After Hitting  Glamis  day after new years. I kept riding over to YUMA then jumped on the CABDR .Rode that past Blythe, Sahara, Primm, then dirt trails into North Vegas Nevada solo .... here's a pic of the strip from Nellis Dunes . I'm still out here on the trail. Lol.

I'll post up after I get back. 

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 2

Continue from Vegas up into Utah. You’ve just begun. 

I was wondering if I should keep going...

I did find a trail that leads there.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:54 AM, 350thumper said:

Screenshot_20230107-072326_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f2b83b813357364806d6365f7a6c43a1.jpg

That's awesome you guys were  able to get out and go ride. 

After Hitting  Glamis  day after new years. I kept riding over to YUMA then jumped on the CABDR .Rode that past Blythe, Sahara, Primm, then dirt trails into North Vegas Nevada solo .... here's a pic of the strip from Nellis Dunes . I'm still out here on the trail. Lol.

I'll post up after I get back. 

I'm praying there will be more pictures and a ride report in the next week or so?

• Like 1