bfar33

Imperial County Map Recommendations

On 12/10/2022 at 7:43 AM, bfar33 said:

image004.thumb.jpg.c42bb535f1726d5f1cd8a8e0dd31a9ac.jpgimage003.thumb.jpg.cc284a1831538020e78767f75377c145.jpg

@bfar33 when you take Buttes Pass, the big downhill just north west of the Slot Canyon is Borrego Mountain Dropoff. Then the trail funnels north like in one of your pics and drops out into big wide open junction with San Felipe Wash (pic 1 above). Heading West you enter the Borrego Sink area (pic 2). There are some nice trails around Borrego Sink and towards Borrego Ranch Airport Rd. There are some historical markers and the area is an ancient water source.

Very fun to explore and get lost in for a bit.

• Like 1

Here is the San Gregorio Historical Marker in the Borrego Sink Area

image.thumb.png.da97de76acd80ed821138106b15537ce.png

"Somewhere in this narrow valley, perhaps on this very spot, the Anza Expeditions of 1774 and 1775 made their camps. Water for the 240 people and over 800 head of stock on the 1775 march was obtained from a series of wells, deeper than the height of a man, dug into the sandy bottom of the wash."

https://www.californiahistoricallandmarks.com/landmarks/chl-673

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=51575

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

@bfar33 when you take Buttes Pass, the big downhill just north west of the Slot Canyon is Borrego Mountain Dropoff. Then the trail funnels north like in one of your pics and drops out into big wide open junction with San Felipe Wash (pic 1 above). Heading West you enter the Borrego Sink area (pic 2). There are some nice trails around Borrego Sink and towards Borrego Ranch Airport Rd. There are some historical markers and the area is an ancient water source.

Very fun to explore and get lost in for a bit.

Ah OK yeah, just reviewed the map. I don't remember any big moguls on the Borrego Mountain Dropoff. There may have been some but I just remember it was very soft sand. I did not climb that one (or even consider it haha).

image.thumb.png.6ceff91ed22023cfec2bce97d929ef72.png

I'd love to go back and explore the Borrego Sink area, as well as the trails heading into the badlands towards Font's Point. I also need to go back and look for that marker because I probably rode right past it. 😖
image.thumb.png.199792c7c83ad3ee64e9063a91c7849f.png

• Like 1

Post when you are going and you will most likely get some one to go with you.

@tntmo could the Plaster City Pounders ride be your next family group ride?

Great area and OHV friendly. Maybe camp in Painted Gorge? Leas infrastructure than OW for camping but still fun.

@bfar33 & @ECDave would you guys camp or day trip? @Koonzee have you ridden here?

I used to camp in Superstition but the last few years I have been camping at Plaster City.  Will be traveling around Christmas.  Maybe do a mid January camping/riding event.  I will post up when I nail it down.

• Like 1

Definitely in!! That's my old area. I have some good ideas of where to camp. some spots I have been thinking about and not doing. Hey, New Years Resolution; Less thinking - More doing!! That's not going to end well!!!!!!

• Like 2