Really wanting to start desert racing. Pretty much clueless how to go about it. Do I need to be an mc member to race? I'm currently an AMA member, but is there a separate district membership? Thanks!

And just to mention, D38 is closer (includes San Diego region) and they have a lot of desert racing

D37 is more north (of San Diego), so depends on where you are in this spherical mass we call Earth :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padu said:

And just to mention, D38 is closer (includes San Diego region) and they have a lot of desert racing

D37 is more north (of San Diego), so depends on where you are in this spherical mass we call Earth :)

I am from San Diego, but I'm currently living in Wildomar, by Lake Elsinore. 

4 hours ago, shutterrev said:

There is a District 37 Desert Racing FB Group, pretty active with shots etc after races and events: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716855298588682

Yeah, I'm on that page already but couldn't find answers to the questions. Thank you

• Like 1

1. You don't need to be a member of a club, but they can be helpful for pit logistics etc.

2. You need to be a AMA district member someplace, so D37 is a good place to start if you aren't already.  You can use your D37 membership to race any AMA amateur event.  You can do a 1 day pie plate.  D37 is a little different in that they require a separate license for each series you want to get points in.

https://www.amadistrict37.org/start-here.html should have most of the info to get started.  Basically, show up, let them know you are new, pay your fees, and go have fun.  There should be no shortage of people willing to help you out.  I have only done the enduros and Grand Prixs, but the desert races shouldn't be much different.

• Like 1

I will also chime in here. AMA member is a must, club member not a must. However: D37 is the hub of many famous SoCal clubs, if you find one you like , it is a big help if you do the D-37 events. Although not a member, all the Nationals and D-37 events I am usually a guest of the 100s MC as a friend of a long time senior member. They will keep your fuel and assist with pit stops in everyway. 

Now getting to meat and potato(e)s. The high dez of Johnson valley and othe D-37 events is waaaay more tough and technical than any local event except when the D-38 hosted some of the H&H Nats which were also tough ones. The usual local events are whoops, sand, washes and some rocky stuff, usually fast dez baja type racers are the best locally, I have done a few local dez events and really never liked them, too freaking fast. I cannot say that about any D-37 zone events from 2 day ISDE qualifiers to National H&H to Dez sprint enduros and XC events.

If you want to challenge yourself D-37 National H&H will always give you some stories to talk about. The sprint enduro stuff is the same terrain without the hard hard stuff but will challenge you in a short section sort of way. The 1st one of the year is the DMC Desert MC event and it will test you, the last one of the year is the 100's MC and that one always checks you. Also bear in mind where I'm coming from AMA 50 A (now 61) which are always full course routes from the front row of the start. The same as ISDE97 (Matt). So gather up your skill set age group B Int is a good start so you can be on the full course run and feel the burn. That's my tuppence (2cents in London)

PS watch some D-37 go pro stuff the hills are rocky and steep the cross grain in the valleys is sometime brutal and the rocks themselves are sharp and blocky. 

Robert

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This one is pretty good for an idea of the action to expect 250A class

• Like 2

I'm getting super pumped now.

I am 37, so there is lots of guys way way faster, but that's okay, gives me motivation. I did an OTMX race last year, did soboba 2020, and I ride at least once a week doing god-awful single track in the hills behind my house. They are incredibly challenging so I feel like I have a good basis. D38 includes some fun desert races, met up with some guys at Pala from I-8 desert racers. @Pokey151and I do a lot of riding all over. From street bikes to motocross and everything in between.

Thanks so much for the tips, and the videos! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

I'm getting super pumped now.

I am 37, so there is lots of guys way way faster, but that's okay, gives me motivation. I did an OTMX race last year, did soboba 2020, and I ride at least once a week doing god-awful single track in the hills behind my house. They are incredibly challenging so I feel like I have a good basis. D38 includes some fun desert races, met up with some guys at Pala from I-8 desert racers. @Pokey151and I do a lot of riding all over. From street bikes to motocross and everything in between.

Thanks so much for the tips, and the videos! 

VET B would be a safe start point (VET INT). Pokey knows me , if you want references. Our local crew is signed up for the Soboba 2023 , I have not done one for a few years that last one looked fun from the viddy I saw. Enjoy!! 

• Like 1

I do most all of the D37 races in any given season so if you have any specific questions that haven't been answered yet, feel free to ask them. 

I am personally a member of HBMC, but as robert said above, you don't need to belong to a club.  It is a very normal thing for the D37 clubs to guest pit riders that don't belong to clubs yet.  Some folks use it as a way to "test out" the different clubs and see what group of people they fit in with the best.  

You are certainly welcome to just let me know what race you are interested in doing and you can come pit with us.  The way D37 manages the races/pits it is way easier just to hook up with a club and guest pit than try to go at it alone.  The club will also keep an eye out for you and make sure you get back to camp, which is another good reason to either find a club to join or to guest pit.  There are at least 3 of us from San Diego that are D37 race regulars.

Registration for the season opens on the 10th, so this Saturday. 

https://www.amadistrict37.org/series-registration.html

There are two desert type options - The Desert Series and the Sprint Enduro Series.  The Desert Series is basically all the desert events and includes all of the Sprint Enduros.  However, the Enduro races are treated as their own series as well, so if you want to earn Enduro points, then you will have to register for that series as well.  If you just want to come out and race, then registering for the Desert Series will give you the opportunity to race plenty.  I don't race the GP's so I don't have much personal input on the GP series, but lots of people enjoy them.  Think half motocross track and half desert race.  

Schedule link:

https://www.amadistrict37.org/calendar.html

• Like 2