J5ive

Cross Utility Trailers???

Does anyone know anything about Cross Utility Trailers?  I can't find a bunch of info on these guys.

I have an opportunity to buy a 7x12 (model 712TA) enclosed trailer - looking for input from some of the people that have utility trailers.  The +/- of having one - what to look out for.

Thanks

I normally think of those trailers as cargo trailers. If different, not sure.

In general,

for a quick desert trip and/or an overnight or 2 without extra camping items, I use my Joe Hauler for 1 bike, or a small open trailer for 2 bikes. 

For multi-day trips, especially in other states or Northern CA,  where I will carry many extra items for friends and family, I prefer to use a small cargo trailer as it feels more secure than the front seat of a truck when I am out on a ride all day, or even out for a bite while traveling. I can store bicycles, chairs, bbqs, tools, etc more easily and more securely.  Also, the weather factor is super cool.  On cold rainy desert rips, my buds and I usually end up in there to cook, chill, and stay out of the rain/cold.  And, even though my camper may have room for a bud, the dudes who snore set-up camp in the cargo trailer so we all have a good sleep.  :)

Many times, especially at panamint springs DV, folks pull up with their cargo trailers and open them up and low and behold, the modifications are similar to a travel trailer, so if you are crafty, that is a nice option if you don't have a camper and aren't into using a tent.

Hope that is info you were looking for (many videos about how to customize those to meet your needs).  Cheers

Edited by MacDuncan
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, J5ive said:

Does anyone know anything about Cross Utility Trailers?  I can't find a bunch of info on these guys.

I have an opportunity to buy a 7x12 (model 712TA) enclosed trailer - looking for input from some of the people that have utility trailers.  The +/- of having one - what to look out for.

Thanks

Depends on what you are looking to accomplish with an enclosed trailer. I have a 6x12 I built to be an off-road/moto hauler that can sleep 3. Building it has been as much fun as using it.

52552CF6-48DE-45C9-AA14-E3F10C2432C9.jpeg

• Like 2

Additional Things to consider.

1. where to store it

2. what you are pulling it with

3. how much weight you plan to haul. A single axle is usually 3500GVW. Dual is 7000.

4. What type of rear door does it have. Barn or ramp.

5. does it have electric brakes

I’m sure I can think of more but really depends on what you want to do with it.

• Like 1

Posted from another forum but an example of what I would be looking for along these lines.
Tandem axel has advantages over single.

Trailer

• Like 1

@MacDuncan, @A 2, @DSM8 - sorry for the late response, I've been away from a computer for awhile (I'm not good using my phone for this stuff).

MacDuncan - you hit the nail on the head.  I want it to use it to haul my bike(s) to a spot and I might, might not camp out of it.  My thought is, go somewhere (camp/hotel) and do trips out of a base.  If I do camp, I can use is like you to haul stuff (shade, cooler, stove, etc.) and sleep in it in bad weather.  I want to keep my options open.

A2 - all the points you brought up in "Additional Things to consider" is why I decided to pass on getting the 7x12 Cross trailer.  I need to do more research.   It's the correct size, especially being 7' tall.  But I want to make sure of some other things before I buy one.  I've been dragging a small 6x8' long single axle utility trailer around for the last week - I'm seeing things I like and don't like about it.  The one I get has to be 7' tall, defiantly need electric brakes, ramp door, rear levelers - haven't made up my mind on the tandem axle, but leaning that way.

Dave - I like that trailer...  I have some idea's, but don't think I'll get that fancy, but I would like a "V" nose and to insulate/finished the walls in the one I get.

I have another week of hauling this trailer around, I should have a pretty good idea when I get back home.  I do know - I DON'T want it longer then 12'.  I like how this 8' trailer is easy to move around (busy gas stations).  I'm thinking 6 1/2 to 7' wide - I like the trailer NOT sticking out past the truck (I want stock mirror's).  But then again...nothing is in stone.

THANK YOU for your help!!!

Our trailer is the 7’ tall. My wife and I are vertically challenged but it’s nice to have the extra height inside. What I don’t like is the extra height when trailering. This and the fact that it’s lifted and on 32” tires. It definitely creates a drag on gas mileage.

for us the 6’ wide works ok for sleeping accommodations. Inside dimensions is about 5’-6”. That’s just barely enough to sleep sideways in the trailer. A 7’ wide trailer may be better for you.

• Like 1

Or you can have a bed that runs the length of the trailer and fold to the wall when not used so width ceases to be an issue.

Edited by DSM8

Thats my plan.  I bought a 6x12 and I am trying to figure out the layout that I want.  I plan to make fold up beds and a board with wheel chocks that I can move out of the way are all I have figured out so far.

@J5ive based on your desire to park remote, enjoy the experience and do rides from a "home base", I think a converted utility moto camper setup would be great. There is so much BLM land and inexpensive camgrounds in the west that you can camp almost anywhere. For your cross country road trips, every night you stay in the trailer vs a hotel saves $100+. Sleeping inside with some comfort & security beats sleeping on the ground. Consider it not just a cargo trailer but a mini toyhauler!

For me: insulated walls, solar panel with battery for basic power, roof vent / fan of some sort and a bed where you can sleep inside with at least one bike

Optional improvements: windows (tinted) but allows for breeze in summer, water storage, fridge, built in tool box, heater, awning and scene lighting. Hell, heated camp shower isn't out of the question

@97xr400r has a sweet moto utility camper trailer with insulation. He would be a great guy to talk with.

@CableJockey had a very nice setup as well

Edited by Goofy Footer
added Fridge!
  • Like 1

I could geek out on this all day long. Here are some photos of my setup.

C2C40C25-61D2-43F8-A952-D71C12C2F385.jpeg

3C5ECB21-DEF3-4F2B-91F7-C4A4C31A9CDF.jpeg

6E88CA34-0DA8-4267-9E7F-5FFE39621A9D.jpeg

• Like 1

I could geek out on this all day long.

A4BB0834-5A15-49DC-98A3-BD5A54702466.jpeg

• Like 1

@A 2 how does the bed setup work with a bike inside? Can one person move the bed and get the bike in/out?

I see a Mr Buddy Heater. Do you have solar? How many AH of battery?

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

@A 2 how does the bed setup work with a bike inside? Can one person move the bed and get the bike in/out?

I see a Mr Buddy Heater. Do you have solar? How many AH of battery?

I installed E-track everywhere. They have great accessories. Bed breaks down by one person. I’ve got twin 120ah deep cycle batteries and a small gas generator just in case the batteries need to be charged up, but that has never happened yet. No solar yet. I’ve done 3 days on battery and I have an Iceco dual zone fridge/freezer. It has never run out. I find that I don’t sit in one spot for more than 3 days so the truck battery tops it off when trailering. 

Like I said, I could really geek out on this stuff. Ask away.