V-Dog

Eddies 5 day baja adventure route

On 12/13/2022 at 4:42 AM, Jlburgess said:

What's the difficulty level of that route?

@Jlburgess looks great for your DR650 consideeing the trails I’ve ween you post about. Compadre is a large fire road. There is some slab. You’d do well

• Like 1

There's a couple of areas of sand but other than that it's very reasonable. In other words intermediate

• Like 1

For newer members:

V-Dog is a well-seasoned rider and I'd trust his routes and difficulty assessment 100%.

Great guy and I hope to visit Don Eddie's Landing soon. He's doing tremendous work there and it will eventually become impossibly popular!

• Like 1

I remember riding with v-dog near the Mexican border.  He can ride. 

That's me with the blue shirt when we used to ride Campo area. 

I'd like to get a group together to do the adventure route.

Edited by 350thumper

Also if anyone wants to ride small bikes I have some day loops around San Quintin, single and two track

Edited by V-Dog
Misspelling

On 12/14/2022 at 6:33 PM, Goofy Footer said:

@Jlburgess looks great for your DR650 consideeing the trails I’ve ween you post about. Compadre is a large fire road. There is some slab. You’d do well

I'm very interested in trying at least part of that route through Tecate' for an overnighter to see what Baja is all about.  Anyone else up for this?  I'm hesitant to ride it solo.  Bilingual speakers are a plus!  I also have a relative with a gorgeous house down that way near Las Gaviotos who would likely be glad to provide a rest stop and margaritas! 😀. I need to expand my routes a bit as I've tried just about everything in SoCal.

• Like 1

My passport card just arrived and I'm itching to get the new Husqvarna out there.  Looking to do a day trip loop south of Tecate' this weekend with these tracks if anyone wants to join.  Probably going as far as Laguna Hanson then back up to scout out the area since I've never been that way.

Edited by Jlburgess

2 hours ago, Jlburgess said:

My passport card just arrived and I'm itching to get the new Husqvarna out there.  Looking to do a day trip loop south of Tecate' this weekend with these tracks if anyone wants to join.  Probably going as far as Laguna Hanson then back up to scout out the area since I've never been that way.

Be aware the Mexican officials want a PASSPORT to issue an FMM, not a passport card, nor a Global Entry, nor a SENTRI. Your return trip you might be OK with just a passport card on re-entry to US.

And yes, an FMM is required everywhere. Not always checked, but I wouldn't want to be without it when they ask for it. Also, some insurance companies will void a claim without out one, according to Bajabound.

I wasn't aware of the FMM requirement but I did find the website, it's free, and it can be done online here:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

There is an option for a passport card so I think it will be fine.

🙄 Edit: Don't be fooled by these a*hole entrepreneurs from Spain who will attempt to charge you $89 to submit your info to the correct website above!

https://www.mexicofmm.com/

Edited by Jlburgess

I’ve used my passport card exclusively for several years. Never had a question about it when getting my FMM’s. No need to bring the passport book. 

I just crossed and returned at Otay today using my passport card. No hay problema, either direction.

13 hours ago, bfar33 said:

I just crossed and returned at Otay today using my passport card. No hay problema, either direction.

And did you get an FMM at the border on entry?

15 hours ago, Jlburgess said:

I wasn't aware of the FMM requirement but I did find the website, it's free, and it can be done online here:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

There is an option for a passport card so I think it will be fine.

One must still stop at the border to have the online form stamped and verified.

Possible things have changed- last time I tried with a passport card I was scolded by the Mexican Customs...

8 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

And did you get an FMM at the border on entry?

Yup, I handed the official my FMM form (I prefilled and printed the online form) and passport card. He did not delay in stamping it, took 20 seconds.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

Yup, I handed the official my FMM form (I prefilled and printed the online form) and passport card. He did not delay in stamping it, took 20 seconds.

Cool!

I sit corrected!

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

@Zubb can you identify where the new gate is between Sawmill / Laguna Hanson Gas and Hwy 3 is?

Not exactly. It was up the trail a ways late in a long day at high speed. I was  racing the sun with a good 40-50 miles of trail ahead. If I get a chance in the next few days I’ll see if I can determine it. 

For what it’s worth, my passport card works fine for FMM at TJ, Tecate and Mexicali. I never go south through Otay. Only north. 

FEBC5185-08B1-4F00-84A2-BA8201BBA150.thumb.jpeg.183a08d7572f70d4df7d7c42f4ba9bdf.jpeg
1.  Ride across the border (green arrow)

2. Turn left and park under the roof on your left side of the road (yellow circle)

3. Leave one person with the bikes and walk back to the red circle building and get your FMM. You’ll get pimped for a tip. Follow your conscience. Personally I don’t tip government officials. 
4. first rider to get through goes back and relieves the rider guarding the bikes.