KTMrad

Ducati Desert X Review

This is good...I'd love to own one, but I have the original 900 Elefant that they retro-modeled this after.
Sounds like this is an awesome machine.

Hey Padu, I'd love to try your Desert X. I know you love yours 

• Like 2

It is Bad-ass. Particularly Padu’s bike. 

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

It is Bad-ass. Particularly Padu’s bike. 

I'm in love with my bike!

Ryan F9 hits in the head on the "Dealer X"... 😂

I've installed auxiliary lights myself, but I still had to take it to the dealer to "activate" that feature. Same with heated grips.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, padu said:

I've installed auxiliary lights myself, but I still had to take it to the dealer to "activate" that feature. Same with heated grips.

It's the same with my 2018 Multipasta (950) 
I also can't reset the service warning after changing my own oil, without a dealer :)

• Sorry Friend, That Is A Bummer 1

11 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I also can't reset the service warning after changing my own oil, without a dealer :)

Ha! Multipasta! I'm stealing that nickname for mine as well!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Is there any aftermarket deal out yet to do that? I hate stuff like this!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Is there any aftermarket deal out yet to do that? I hate stuff like this!

I have not seen any, also of all the brands I have owned over the years, Ducati is the most like this.
So with ours (wife and I both have multipastas) I just take care of the shorter service to-do's (every 9k miles), and then the service light gets cleared when I take it in for the big ones (18k miles). I do like Moto Forza service staff, and the parts counter folks are friendly so I don't mind making the haul from lakeside at all when needed. 

My wife is considering selling her White 950 Multi (2018), and getting a Supersport 950S, but they have such low inventory you can't do test rides or make demo bikes. This is a conundrum because I wouldn't buy without the try. So I guess they can sell us a bike whenever they can do test rides again :)

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, shutterrev said:

I have not seen any, also of all the brands I have owned over the years, Ducati is the most like this.
So with ours (wife and I both have multipastas) I just take care of the shorter service to-do's (every 9k miles), and then the service light gets cleared when I take it in for the big ones (18k miles). I do like Moto Forza service staff, and the parts counter folks are friendly so I don't mind making the haul from lakeside at all when needed. 

My wife is considering selling her White 950 Multi (2018), and getting a Supersport 950S, but they have such low inventory you can't do test rides or make demo bikes. This is a conundrum because I wouldn't buy without the try. So I guess they can sell us a bike whenever they can do test rides again :)

I love Ducati. But BMW owns their arse on this issue. 

12 hours ago, Zubb said:

I love Ducati. But BMW owns their arse on this issue. 

I agree, each brand has their own various pro and con flavors. I remember when I was on BMW's the Ducati folks would say how expensive they are. But then I bought a Ducati and realized the ONLY reason the bike's msrp may be a dollar less than a BMW, is because some things do not comes standard on the Ducati, that is just expected standard on the bmw (ex: hand warmers, shop stand, etc). 

I have owned Suzuki's, KTM's, BMW's, and now Ducatis - I can't say I have a favorite brand of all, but I have favorite things about each. Suzuki = value, easy to get parts, dependable. BMW = most amazing dealer support and service I believe you will find of all brands, and the bikes are quite tough and dependable never one single issue with mine in 60k miles. Ducati = Sexy, Fast, Sexy, service can take weeks if not done diy. KTM = Zero dealer support, high performance so needs attention, must be own mechanic because there is no service center that will look at your KTM soon as they have 500 dirt bikes in line first... but g'dang this thing rocks my socks and I would buy it again. In summary, I love them all - all the brands all the bikes, they all bring their own flave to the potluck. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shutterrev said:

I agree, each brand has their own various pro and con flavors. I remember when I was on BMW's the Ducati folks would say how expensive they are. But then I bought a Ducati and realized the ONLY reason the bike's msrp may be a dollar less than a BMW, is because some things do not comes standard on the Ducati, that is just expected standard on the bmw (ex: hand warmers, shop stand, etc). 

I have owned Suzuki's, KTM's, BMW's, and now Ducatis - I can't say I have a favorite brand of all, but I have favorite things about each. Suzuki = value, easy to get parts, dependable. BMW = most amazing dealer support and service I believe you will find of all brands, and the bikes are quite tough and dependable never one single issue with mine in 60k miles. Ducati = Sexy, Fast, Sexy, service can take weeks if not done diy. KTM = Zero dealer support, high performance so needs attention, must be own mechanic because there is no service center that will look at your KTM soon as they have 500 dirt bikes in line first... but g'dang this thing rocks my socks and I would buy it again. In summary, I love them all - all the brands all the bikes, they all bring their own flave to the potluck. 

^^^ This.  It's about what floats your boat wether a CT90, monkey, the Italians, Germans or Japs.  Or here's one . . . . sidecars.

• Like 2

What if I only like Brazilian motorcycles with VW engines?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

I’d pay money to see what yould create with those pieces. 

I'll bring beer and pizza for us to enjoy while we hand him tools. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tntmo said:

Hey, I remember those growing up!

Everybody had CG125s, then a few had CB500s, but the really rich guys had Amazonas!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, padu said:

Hey, I remember those growing up!

Everybody had CG125s, then a few had CB500s, but the really rich guys had Amazonas!

Awesome that you saw those in real life!  I remember reading about them 20 years ago or so, always been intrigued.  

Love that other manufacturers such as Ducati and Aprilla are getting into the ADV game.  Some competition is good, more competition is better.  And the middle class AVD bike segment is currently awash with good ride options.  

In terms of dirt bikes I'm also hopeful that Triumph's 450F will be a worthy offering as well.

To take nothing away from older bikes, we are currently in a renaissance of motorcycle offerings.  Yes, some are very pricey, and not everyone has the disposable income to put down ~15K on a hobby.  My last 450F was an '07 purchased off craigslist or $2,700 and I beat the "war pig" like rented mule.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:59 AM, KTMrad said:

This is good...I'd love to own one, but I have the original 900 Elefant that they retro-modeled this after.

A friend known to me as "The Magnificently Beautiful Hobbit" owns an Elefant as well.  Fantastic motorcycle.  He also likes beer and 80's rock.

Edited by Kimber45
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 10:23 PM, Kimber45 said:

A friend known to me as "The Magnificently Beautiful Hobbit" owns an Elefant as well.  Fantastic motorcycle.  He also likes beer and 80's rock.

Hey Kimber, not many Elefants around, who is your friend,  I may know him.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:09 AM, KTMrad said:

Hey Kimber, not many Elefants around, who is your friend,  I may know him.

Fred.  Descended from Jack.

You guys forgot the Boss Hoss motorcycle to add more mud to this Ducati thread. 

https://bosshoss.com

Edited by robertaccio

KTM = Zero dealer support ( KTM/Husqvarna/Gas Gas)  I disagree with this, any dealer (GP Moto Forza etc.) or independent service center will gladly service or troubleshoot your bike ($$$).......but, you may have 30 bikes in front of that line... I just think the mindset is that most owners feel they are capable of the standard maintenance jobs. Notice I've used the term "feel", because I've seen the level of what many feel is proper mechanical work .......from electrical systems to mechanical systems on subject machines from all manufacturers. (the not so good list is very long). I digressed from the thread. 

The desert X is cool and is the DNA tree spawn of the "Elefant" Dakar and other rally bikes of the late 80s and 90s. I know a couple of guys that rode/raced those beasts, they would most likely smile at how refined (and light) the Desert-X is in comparison.

CAGIVA ELEFANT IN THE ROOM! - Australian Motorcycle News (amcn.com.au)

In the racer photo I fortunately know both Davide (2nd from left) and Danny (4th from left)...Robertaccio's name drop for the day.

If Padu is up for it..maybe we can set a Danny photo sesh.....I wonder if he still has his Rally kit. That would be a super cool story. My crazy mind is working.....on a scheme.

Edited by robertaccio

3 hours ago, robertaccio said:

....but, you may have 30 bikes in front of that line...

Exactly, no support. Gotta DIY or buy beer and pizza for a friend if you have an issue, and want to ride it, this quarter lol. 

Dealer Support: BMW (with a BMW) ...unless it's something crazy they can usually fit it in by this afternoon, have parts or can source them fast, without an appointment, and give you a spiffy loaner bike. If it is something crazy, odd's are you will have to wait as long as tomorrow afternoon to get the bike back. And have about 3x the mechanics on hand. This was my little 60,000 mile experience as a BMW owner anyway. It felt like good support from a dealer anyway so I guess I got spoiled and that's now my baseline lol.  

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

Nico's stories: Azzalin's Cagiva at the Dakar - MotoFestival - Moto.it

In Italian for non speakers...just watch the views are super cool. And yes those machines are all in the Roberto Azzalin collection. Roberto's Son Fabrizio has been manager of many world enduro championship CH Racing Team Husky wins and now has some wins as the Sherco world enduro team boss. KTM dropped him when they bought the  Husky brand from the Varese Italians.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, tntmo said:

I was a pretty avid VW guy, I would have killed for one of those. Instead, I'm building an old school VW sandrail. Despite a 600cc deficit, the 4-cylinder in my goldwing weighs more than a VW engine.

• Like 1