KTMrad

Ducati Desert X Review

On 1/6/2023 at 2:42 PM, robertaccio said:

Nico's stories: Azzalin's Cagiva at the Dakar - MotoFestival - Moto.it

In Italian for non speakers...just watch the views are super cool. And yes those machines are all in the Roberto Azzalin collection. Roberto's Son Fabrizio has been manager of many world enduro championship CH Racing Team Husky wins and now has some wins as the Sherco world enduro team boss. KTM dropped him when they bought the  Husky brand from the Varese Italians.

Cool vid! Thanks for sharing.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, robertaccio said:

KTM = Zero dealer support ( KTM/Husqvarna/Gas Gas)  I disagree with this, any dealer (GP Moto Forza etc.) or independent service center will gladly service or troubleshoot your bike ($$$).......but, you may have 30 bikes in front of that line... I just think the mindset is that most owners feel they are capable of the standard maintenance jobs. Notice I've used the term "feel", because I've seen the level of what many feel is proper mechanical work .......from electrical systems to mechanical systems on subject machines from all manufacturers. (the not so good list is very long). I digressed from the thread. 

The desert X is cool and is the DNA tree spawn of the "Elefant" Dakar and other rally bikes of the late 80s and 90s. I know a couple of guys that rode/raced those beasts, they would most likely smile at how refined (and light) the Desert-X is in comparison.

CAGIVA ELEFANT IN THE ROOM! - Australian Motorcycle News (amcn.com.au)

In the racer photo I fortunately know both Davide (2nd from left) and Danny 

My friend, Mr. Lucky Explorer owned Danny Laporte's 900 Elefant Rally Bike....not sure what his wife will do with it, but I know it's worth some money. He kept it in his own personal 4 car garage museum.

Resized_20181217_115412(1)(2).jpeg

Edited by KTMrad

23 hours ago, KTMrad said:

My friend, Mr. Lucky Explorer owned Danny Laporte's 900 Elefant Rally Bike....not sure what his wife will do with it, but I know it's worth some money. He kept it in his own personal 4 car garage museum.

Resized_20181217_115412(1)(2).jpeg

I am heartbroken that bike is sitting and decaying into an eventual piece of junk. 
it should be brought back from the dead. Defibrillated to life. Born again to ride the Baja deserts. 

when I look at the surfboards on my walls as art, I feel a bit ashamed. They deserve to live again. 
man would I love to tour Baja on that piece of history. 

Edited by Zubb

On 1/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, Zubb said:

I am heartbroken that bike is sitting and decaying into an eventual piece of junk. 
it should be brought back from the dead. Defibrillated to life. Born again to ride the Baja deserts. 

when I look at the surfboards on my walls as art, I feel a bit ashamed. They deserve to live again. 
man would I love to tour Baja on that piece of history. 

It was far from decaying into a piece of junk. Cagiva made an agreement with my friend,  that when he bought it he'd never ride it, because it is a historical piece. Who knows what will come of it now. Will probably end up in another museum somewhere. 

Edited by KTMrad
  • Like 1