Bluhdow

Valley of the Moon - Jacumba

Does anyone know if the Valley of the Moon is accessible by OHV? It looks like there are trails there, and I see some web pages indicating that Jeep trails exist in the area...but I've also seen it's potentially a BLM Wilderness Area with no vehicle access. 

Looking to ride from the Jacumba Shell Station to the Gravity Wall/VotM. 

Any input appreciated. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

There is a little "gatekeeper" to get into the Valley of the Moon.   So if you aren't ready for a couple of boulders bring a buddy to help.

Riding near jacumba has a very different set of rules, and as we have lots of new riders here on SDAR it's important for us to be crystal clear on which set of rules applies to specific riding areas. 

There is a small 7,2 mile section that is ohv. The rangers ask that you stay on the trail and comply with all signage where only foot traffic is permitted.. the federal border protection agency is monitering the area closely due to an increased level of drug smuggling activity near the border within the last couple years.  There are stiff fines allocated to those traveling off the designated route and would risk impoundment of ohv vehicle if caught.

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 2

Protect yourself family friends and your community by following this prevention measure.

Know  before you go prior to leaving home check the status of the unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place

Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors especially if this is your first time visiting the area

Below are suggested destinations for off Highway vehicles

BlowSand hill

Devil's Slide

Barrel Springs

shell Reef

gas domes

pumpkin patch

Contact your local state public officials at 9163244442

Then send an email to ohvinfo@parks.ca.gov

Edited by 350thumper

I'm pretty sure "technically" it's nearly all street legal only these days out there. That's not to say everyone out there has had a street legal motorcycle. I know there's a sign on the North side of the freeway that says no off-road vehicles or something like that. I have never seen a SXS or quad anywhere out there except for the Border Patrol. And the Border Patrol has had much less sense of humor lately, as you can imagine. Report back and let us know how it goes for you. It's really not that large of an area anyway so I don't even pull off the highway since there's lot's more great adventures at the bottom of those rocks (Ocotillo and such).

• Like 1

In that case, it's worth a look at least once. Easy "Jeep" trails on both sides of the freeway. You could have fun for a couple hours without violating any laws. Pretty scenery on a nice day. 

47 minutes ago, Bluhdow said:

To clarify, I have a plated KTM 500. Perhaps "OHV" was the wrong terminology. 

ya,  totally I knew that. All of us here are code abiding citizens that are in good graces with law enforcement ..

Ride on...

Edited by 350thumper

This is still on my bucket list.   Some of the vids/images I've seen, there are some gnarly spots.  (for us middle-weight/big-bike folk)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

This is still on my bucket list.   Some of the vids/images I've seen, there are some gnarly spots.  (for us middle-weight/big-bike folk)

PM me when you’re ready. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1