cmbthumper

Ori Flamme Canyon Ride 11-26-22

Took my dad for a after Turkey Day ride. Unfortunately due to the amount of crashes my Dad had as you will see in the multipart videos he was done by the end of Rodriguez Truck Trail. He is literally done with Dirt riding and i will be selling his DRZ soon.

The weather and my KTM 450 EXC were perfect all day long. I LOVE this bike expect for the Sh*T Dunlop D606 on the back.

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cmbthumper said:

Took my dad for a after Turkey Day ride. Unfortunately due to the amount of crashes my Dad had as you will see in the multipart videos he was done by the end of Rodriguez Truck Trail. He is literally done with Dirt riding and i will be selling his DRZ soon.

The weather and my KTM 450 EXC were perfect all day long. I LOVE this bike expect for the Sh*T Dunlop D606 on the back.

That is no fun 4 your Dad. I been down there with my 1150GSA

Edited by dirt dame

Looks like you took your dad way out of his comfort zone.  That is the quickest way to get somebody to quit riding. I have been riding over 50 years, and used to race enduro, track and compete in observed trials events.  I used to like riding technical terrain, because I liked the challenge. As I have gotten older, I have changed a lot.  My depth perception and general eye sight is not so good, neither are my reflexes or stamina.  I like easier terrain.  While I have ridden Orriflame and Rodriguez dozens of times (even at night, once) over the years on everything from a KDX200 to a TE 450, and could no doubt still ride it today, it wouldn't be as enjoyable as it once was.  Anyway, it's a pity that the experience soured your dad's view of dirt riding.

• Like 1

^^ Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately i did not take him anywhere as it was his choice to ride this area. We did it last year and he crashed just as much and we have done a lot harder rides. He could give 2 squirts about getting hurt but this time he said it was all about what you mentioned in his "depth perception and general eye sight is not so good, neither are my reflexes or stamina". He said he is simply to old for any terrain other than asphalt. At 77 yo i see no shame in that. I told him to get a new CT125 or a TW200 but he said No.  

• Like 3

Riding at 77 is impressive! Hopefully you can convince him to get out for one more ride as a positive experience to close out his riding career. 

Maybe sunset on Black Mountain or Fonts Point in ABDSP. 

DRZ400e ? I rode one for years and still like those bikes

There's a short window in time where a father gets to go on dual sport rides with his son. 

I think your dad did great. 

Thankyou  for talking the time to post this.

• Like 1

You Know,,,

Try to keep him outta traffic on pavement. Being 71 and two eye surgeries in, I know of which he speaks. Geezs, take him down to a sand wash. I only ride rural neighborhoods on the street. No crazy streets.  🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Lot easier trails than that one around SD to stay riding the dirt.        I think the roads are far more dangerous these days. 

Very cool that he still rides at that age. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Riding at 77 is impressive! Hopefully you can convince him to get out for one more ride as a positive experience to close out his riding career. 

Maybe sunset on Black Mountain or Fonts Point in ABDSP. 

DRZ400e ? I rode one for years and still like those bikes

1000% agree and i can say with certainty it will be 100000000% i will not be at that age.

He is like me or vice versa. Once his mind is made up that is it so i doubt he would ride a honda monkey in the dirt.

Yup 2001 DRZ400E plated in AZ

2 hours ago, 350thumper said:

There's a short window in time where a father gets to go on dual sport rides with his son. 

I think your dad did great. 

Thankyou  for talking the time to post this.

Agreed. When i bought my XR400 in 2019 it was a package deal with my Dad's DRZ. I wanted him to ride with me no matter the cost. So, i gave it to him for Fathers day. He used his old AZ address and registered it there so he could ride it on the street here.

For his age and skill level his does way beyond what he should do and can do IMO. He taught me to ride, race, wrench on bikes and riding with him at any time or age is beyond fun. He chased me growing up and i have no problem chasing him. I do understand giving up the riding hat though.

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

You Know,,,

Try to keep him outta traffic on pavement. Being 71 and two eye surgeries in, I know of which he speaks. Geezs, take him down to a sand wash. I only ride rural neighborhoods on the street. No crazy streets.  🤷🏼‍♂️

He has been on pavement for 40+ years so i doubt that will happen. He has a Ducati Multi that is still in Rain mode cause it is too fast. Like you see in my video's i pull over often whether in the dirt or on the street not for him to catch up but to make sure he is still coming. He feels bad and thinks he is slow and it makes me wait for him which i tell him is 100% the opposite. I'll wait for him or anyone anytime or any length of time as long as the smiles per mile are still happening.  

Sand is his wort enemy. He never got the hang of it growing up riding in the desert or now. He put $1000 on a Scott's BRP damper and shoving the forks high into the triple clamp thinking it would solve his problem. Short answer is that it didn't.

I've begged him countless times to reach out local riders like here in SDAR that ride almost everyday so he can tag along to get more "Seat Time" and learn by riding with other experienced riders. The answers is always "I don't want to slow anybody down". 

• Like 1

This is exceptionally cool and I can’t say enough how special it is you guys are riding together. 
Wether I’m riding hard stuff with my son, or just short back roads with my dad on his Spyder… the time together is sacred as we all know it won’t last. Time conquers all of us eventually. 
thanks for sharing the vids. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Nice moto trailer! Any other pictures of it?

Thanks. It is nothing special. Just a standard single axle trailer.

Only other pic i have but can get more if you want.

DSCN0134.thumb.JPG.bbdfd0f97dff014ee0c64683212f6339.JPG

• Like 1

brilliant that you are out there.   I gotta say it bike is all off balance.... stabilizer at slow speeds is a hindrance.

Lower plush suspended bike would be more safe and comfortable, especially at that speed, bike set up more front weight bias not less (balanced). weight on rear fender is fine if sag spring rate is good or else it is the biggest far from cg imbalancer as seen on many traveler bikes, and anyway it will always hinder handling less is more, for a simple day run.   Money spent on parts is better spent on training, no matter what age you are. training=safety.  bike set up right for the task, proper ergo body position sitting or standing. and all the rest will be more comfortable. Way to stay calm.  

• Like 2