20221125_160454.thumb.jpg.b4be9926203377ee05cb18696e9d8129.jpg

I  didnt go to theTestical Festival Cornhole Competion on my block today so I went for a little ride around my neighborhood  scouting for a great dualsport route. 

20221126_160039.thumb.jpg.f7aca37320023d751270e08a7b2cc41e.jpg

My ADD kicked in and next thing I know I'm following some 4x4 tracks over a landslide. 

NOT realizing how deep it was.. My bike came to a stop because the sand was loose and deep even though I had plenty of power.

I searched far and wide for a nice place to cool my 650cc displacements and drink some water that was 

20221126_164720.thumb.jpg.50e867aa045f5719ee7a42585c08bb34.jpg

So I followed the creek until I crossed the S2 Highway that divides this Dual Sport Mecca.

20221126_165313.thumb.jpg.781d69a47ca32265ef1bed17591e81e9.jpg

Just as I was needing a nice picnic table and shade I came into this nice area called Bow Willow Campground nestled behind a bluff.

Bow Willow has fire rings, picnic tables, campsites, shaded cabanas pe4fect for stringing up a hammock, also it has well maintained bathrooms. 

Is very quiet here and renders a nice view..

Thanks for coming along and enjoying my story.  See you on the next one,   ☺ 

Edited by KTMrad
  • Like 6

Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

Bow Willow is a nice secluded little campground, across the S2 from the Carrizo staging spot.  $20 a nite.  

IMG_0826 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0803 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Dang, everyone's busting out the really good pics all of sudden..

I went by your Superstition camp looking for red jeep  while riding up from the prison... didn't see you.  Rode through silt beds after. 

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

Is Bow Willow reservation or first come first serve?

Pay at camp?

First come basis, pay the iron ranger

• Like 1

If I can get a 4wd Ram pulling a camper in there I’ll probably end up there with wife and dog then. 
further research planned. 

• Like 1

That's perfect.    Im Glad you guys are actually benefiting from my search efforts to bring you this kind of stuff.

Edited by 350thumper

48 minutes ago, Zubb said:

If I can get a 4wd Ram pulling a camper in there I’ll probably end up there with wife and dog then. 

The 31' class 'C' had no problem and its pretty low. Most the sites are on the side of a hill and not very level so take lots of leveling blocks

• Like 2

@Zubb Blair Valley is free (last I checked) and I believe it has on bathroom near the entrance

Bow Willow does offer quick access east into a large trail vein into the Park

• Like 2

I didn't see an iron ranger . I did  see the actual ranger making rounds about 5:30 pm.

20221126_155343.thumb.jpg.60e647efc080046c637ad9dc0592cebf.jpg

It's a great place to park and go riding. 

Bow Willow goes straight to all the fish creek, super, Diablo, valecito, and mud Caves,  wind Caves, sin Nombre,. It also goes into Carrizo Gorge Trailhead and vallecito south, .

It seemed like a place for hikers and family's with kids and jeep people and stuff like that.  20221126_143701.thumb.jpg.513261f1b40891078006d07d89361aa0.jpg

About a mile east is a Willow tree that makes a perfect camp site.  It bows over the top of any camper or rv. 

20221126_161926.thumb.jpg.d83b00bd1105eef893e62b60057b8d1b.jpg

I Cant convey the beauty of these canyons thru pics  It's really something you need to see first hand. It's a good idea to be led through the dezert by a dualsport because you could Spend months out here just figuring out what wash goes where .

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 3

In deed, There is. Much to see in the Park, from the legal two track.  👀

24 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Much to see in the Park, from the legal two track.  👀

The legal two track keeps the park accessible for all of us.

Yes bags, there are trails in some areas that are designated for plated vehicles only.  No green sticker vehicle on the fish creek or velicito washes.  In some sections of the desert the rangers prefer that you stay on the designated trail so bring a plated bike and obey  the signs in the area.  

9 minutes ago, 350thumper said:

Yes bags, there are trails in some areas that are designated for plated vehicles only.  No green sticker vehicle on the fish creek or velicito washes.  In some sections of the desert the rangers prefer that you stay on the designated trail so bring a plated bike and obey  the signs in the area.  

For those who may not know, ALL trails within Anza Borrego State Park are for plated vehicles only, and the park is for designated trail use only.

Edited by KTMrad
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of free-for-all riding and for that, there's the Ocotillo Wells SVRA. Acres and acres of ride anywhere, do anything. It's a freedom fest!

Riding in the Anza Borrego State Park is a very different set of rules, and as we have lots of new riders here on SDAR it's important for us to be very clear on which set of rules applies to specific riding areas. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

In deed, There is. Much to see in the Park, from the legal two track.  👀

:crazy: how do you get those little  eye balls emoji to pop up when your posting on rider's threads?

Is there an app somewhere that you go to to get your emojis?

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 1

👀  🍭. 😎

Congratulations on completion of the course. Look forward to seeing you on the trail. 🚶‍♂️

I need to start riding Anza Borrego and get to these caves and canyons. 

Awesome pics/report.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, Zubb said:

There are two or three larger sites just beyond the toilets that appear to best accomodate bigger trailers. The rest of the sites are nicely spaced and scattered on the hillside, perfect for small rigs like teardrops and tents. Most spaces have a pic-a-nic table and some overhead shade. The roads to get in are pretty solid, a 4wd should have no problem.

THere are two possible entries- on is th efirst you'll encounter when coming from the south- VERY deep sand. The next entry is a bit further north and that's the one you want.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:52 AM, Bagstr said:

👀  🍭. 😎

Congratulations on completion of the course. Look forward to seeing you on the trail. 🚶‍♂️

It would be a pleasure to hit some washes with you bags, especially with my new knobby rear tire .

Edited by KTMrad

On 12/1/2022 at 9:56 AM, 350thumper said:

It would be a pleasure to hit some washes with you bags, especially with my new knobby rear tire . 

What tire did you get?

Edited by KTMrad

I got the longest lasting , best looking , most rock gripping, mountain climbingiest,sand evolved, street legal, tire on the market . It's called a 270k.

I really don't need it for roost competitions because the deathwing that I was running did ok for roosting my buddies . 

But the price is great  . Did I mention it looks awesome.

Why did I choose this tire you ask?

It's because I can lean it down on asphalt going the maximum speed limit and trust it if I ever have to take S1 or Buckman.  Also it does really well on grass that's on 2 track . And sand washes that are on 2 track. oh boy it does good in sandwasages.  .I love sand washes . Like the ones near borrego. 

The only place this tire doesn't perform. Well is the sticky sloppy silty mud that forms on top of the silt beds after a storm on pain rd 

And also that Clay mud on the back side of Otay that brown clay mix after a 2 week rain .

I would keep going g on and on but I'm runnING out of stuff to type . Oh wait here's some stuff....  I bought some new batteries for my go pro 

The rider who inspired me  was cmbthumper  posting the videos with his dad.  That was cool.

I'd like to do some video  of the  trail and see what kind of stuff I can climb and who can follow me just too get some cool footage of what this tire can do.

I won't be able to top the dad dualsport video . That is some raw footage really touched my feelers made me remember about the crash I witnessed my dad looking back to see where I was and he hit a creek vertical  in a wash from the side and his husky 610 wouldn't start  and we sat under a tree in the desert waiting for it to cool.  

And the time my son was on a ride with the sdar gang and he lost his gas cap and went flying over the bars. Back when  thing was was open 

Did you ever get your motorcycle battery replaced ?

I feel an epic ride coming on. I hope some new riders on here start putting routes together and posting up rides so we can all take our dual sports out and ride around and stuff like that. .

Here's a picture of my bike with the new tire waiting to be mounted. . There was an earthquake  while I was taking the shot. Sorry if the focus is off.

20221119_160853.thumb.jpg.aaca24d05ec7ba874bbb66ae1b4f2f58.jpg