Pokey151

Black mountain tomorrow 11/27.

Ok so I got a chance to dig in to the 500 just now so I am planning on riding tomorrow morning.   I’ve already not had a chance to ride this once so I am anxious to get out and ride.   All are welcome. I’ll be at Ramona Coffee Shop at 8:45 and KSU at 9

Edited by Pokey151
Plans updated

Awesome you got time for prep & maintenance. I don't know know anybody on here thats riding but I did find this rock in my carb bowl while doing prep that 20221124_111202.thumb.jpg.5300c28047633e59f898975cbe69695d.jpgwas getting into my main jet .  Every time I roost over a whoopdy-doo it would get sucked up into my main jet. 

What kinda riding you doing? 30 miles of fire-road stuff or like a hundred miles of dezert? 

I could be talked into exploring the Express Trail north of Devils Canyon after I visit my friend that is living  on Superstition Mnt.

Edited by 350thumper

My Dad convinced me to take a quick run down i think it is called Rodriguez Wash then UP Ori flamme on Saturday for a quick morning ride. We are going to trailer down (Easier for us) at 830am to Banner and go in at Chariot Canyon about 930-10am. 

This one

https://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27120-oriflamme-canyon/&tab=comments#comment-261167

3 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

My Dad convinced me to take a quick run down i think it is called Rodriguez Wash then UP Ori flamme on Saturday for a quick morning ride. We are going to trailer down (Easier for us) at 830am to Banner and go in at Chariot Canyon about 930-10am. 

This one

https://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27120-oriflamme-canyon/&tab=comments#comment-261167

Hey that's a fantastic trail your dad picked out!  That's the exact one I will be going up on my trail ride for Sunday on my way to the Julian Beer Co for brisket. 

This one

https://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/calendar/event/166-superstition-to-julian/

If you turn to the left half way up there's a  Orriflamme Campground that is fun to check out. 

So still doing all my errands I have not got to the bike yet, I hope to later.  I was just informed from Mrs Pokey I need to be home around noon so she can go do her stuff so the ride would be fairly close to Ramona

On 11/25/2022 at 9:42 AM, 350thumper said:

Awesome you got time for prep & maintenance. I don't know know anybody on here thats riding but I did find this rock in my carb bowl while doing prep that 20221124_111202.thumb.jpg.5300c28047633e59f898975cbe69695d.jpgwas getting into my main jet .  Every time I roost over a whoopdy-doo it would get sucked up into my main jet. 

What kinda riding you doing? 30 miles of fire-road stuff or like a hundred miles of dezert? 

I could be talked into exploring the Express Trail north of Devils Canyon after I visit my friend that is living  on Superstition Mnt.

I won’t have to for a bigger ride like that tomorrow.     I would like to do that soon though.  That is crazy that pebble wound up in there?  Is the screen on your petcock still intact?

I was thinking the rock forms by the fuel mixing with moisture then causing a formation after the liquid fuel goes into the carb.. I have 2 fuel screens in line and still a rock big enough to clog the main jet.

Have fun on the ride tommorrow.  I'm gonna head over to Julian from Superstition tommorrow. 

I hope to see the pics from your ride !

On 11/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, Pokey151 said:

Ok so I got a chance to dig in to the 500 just now so I am planning on riding tomorrow morning.   I’ve already not had a chance to ride this once so I am anxious to get out and ride.   All are welcome. I’ll be at Ramona Coffee Shop at 8:45 and KSU at 9

You might want to rethink that one:

Black Mountain Road (11S04) Palomar Ranger District Closed
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, guess I’ll figure it out on the fly. I need to get on the bike

11 minutes ago, Jlburgess said:

The main road through the Indian Reservation is always open.  You can take that to Nate's Grade for a fun loop  Looks like Lusardi is open too for a there and back.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

Thanks.  I’m tempted to swap to the super moto wheels and hit Palomar S grade

Ya kidney stone thanks ja ja . I was thinking that. I couldn't spit it out.

So Black Mtn TT is open. It’s quite a bit rougher than before. Some deep rain ruts and much more exposed rock.  Lots of fun

Weird stuff happens some times...

I had been having an intermittent hard bog, usually related to a hard hit or g-out.

Over near devil's slide, the bike suddenly decided to bog and die at anything but idle.

Start right up and idle all day, not a problem.

Rode back to Holmes camp (lots of clutch work and zero throttle) and got the carb out.

This guy was stuck in the main jet. How it got in there, I have no clue.

IMG_20220122_172021.thumb.jpg.5a506d50fc5457007d90561a7d249688.jpg

4 hours ago, 350thumper said:

Pics or lies ?

Ok so here is a ride report.  Black MTN was great. I saw a total of 3 vehicles. No one was at the top.  You can see why it was shut down before.  Looks like it got a fair amount of rain from the ruts, exposed rocks and there was a tree you can see was struck by lightning, fell over and blocked the road.   It was dragged to the side now so I am assuming that was the main reason for the previous closure.  My 500 EXC did great, the suspension is far from stock so slower trail riding, it’s a bit abusive.  

Up at the top there was no one,  dead silent except the wind birds and the occasional plane.  I recorded the whole ride down but everyone has seen the trail so I won’t post it. I did upload a small portion of a rock section you had to use one rock to pop the tire over a taller rock.   GoPro’s do not give terrain Justice.  The video they look like tiny rocks but I would say it was a 12-14 inch hop up.  Again nothing to write home about but big bikes would be in for a surprise.  

so here are to pics and 22 sec video

5B18004D-3671-420B-B55F-A5D50A232210.jpeg

9D8DD990-C207-4CCE-A192-CB1D8407CB1B.jpeg

224724C2-8C3E-44A2-96F1-BBCD428B916F.jpeg

0D70D2C0-4F91-4FB7-A916-70F59F0D4FA0.jpeg

11288E66-D101-49FE-A5A5-6DE40076A65E.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, Zubb said:

Nice pics!

I had a Zubb sighting this morning.     Spotted a 1250 wearing knobbies at the bottom of Lemon.... then I looked at the gear and knew it was you.   :thumbsup_anim: 

• Like 1

What no wave?!?!

I realized at the light my front was flat. 😒

1 minute ago, Zubb said:

What no wave?!?!

I realized at the light my front was flat. 😒

I was going the opposite direction (up Lemon) and was passing when I realized it was you.    You were looking down, I remember that.    Bummer on the flat.  ...but it sure is nice having tubeless tires.  :good:

• Agree 1