tntmo

Ocotillo Wells weekend 11/18/22 - 11/20/22

Well I hope everyone has made it back safely.  We got back a few hours ago, had a tire blowout on the toy hauler but my spare was still round and held air so it wasn't too bad.  Will get some pictures and my synopsis of the weekend posted up soon, here's the post to put your stuff as well!  

I had a blast, thanks to all of those who showed up and to all of those who made the questionable decision to follow me around Ocotillo Wells! Definitely looking forward to the next one, here's the few pics I managed to take while out riding. 

ICEL3ct.jpg

NJ5SLvD.jpg

4i4llWu.jpg

go3L0oq.jpg

M1M2ZAR.jpg

• Like 3

Admin please approve new member @TheNookieWR 

He was out there with us.  I’m sure he would love to provide a report!

Friday afternoon my wife surprised me by coming home on time and being ready…two things she never does when it’s desert weekend.    Headed out and the drive to camp went well. I wasn’t expecting as many people out there, we were the biggest group in the area.

First morning got together with everyone and put together a ride, seven riders.  Had a good time exploring and getting back in desert riding mode.  I saw at least one amateur geologist get a close examination of the local soil.  

I kept feeling my phone going off in my pocket so at a stop I looked at it and had 15 notifications.  I felt popular!  Anyway, lots of people were trying to coordinate a bike rescue after the rider was rescued.  Once I had some signal, made a plan and Corpic and I peeled off from the group.  I posted about getting Bob’s bike in that post. 

Did some more riding around later, just having fun. The camp fire was fun, conversation, beverages and food was ample.

Sunday morning Kato stopped by and we set up a two strokes only ride with Corey and I.  Pretty fun, Kato loves riding the ridge lines.  I wasn’t quite as confident and only did one, need to get my skills up again.  Corey mentioned that he wasn’t too interested and bypassed the ridge.  We saw him on a hill a few hundred feet away, so tried to get the group together again.  It took us maybe five minutes to get over there but he had moved.  We searched around for a long while, and couldn’t hear his engine or him.  

Riding back to camp unsure of where one of the group is at really sucks.  You hope that they just decided to ride back but don’t know until you get there.  We made it back, he wasn’t there.  Kato and I felt terrible and started to get stuff together to go back when Corey rode up.  

He had got into a slot canyon, bike got hot, etc.  Could not have been far away, but we couldn’t hear him and he couldn’t hear us.  Everything worked out but it was nerve wracking for a bit. Obviously we could have had better communication before the ride, lesson learned.

Packed up and headed home, all was going well until I noticed smoke from the driver side trailer tire heading into Lakeside. Pulled over with a blowout, actually had a decent amount of room. There are a million other places where a flat like that wouldn’t have been fun.  Pulled the good tire onto some wood blocks and didn’t even have to use the jack, tire was changed and back on the road in 20 minutes.

Thanks to everyone who came out, it was a great weekend with some good people and experiences.  

B7FFFE54-BF35-466B-A69B-3DB372CAB8AE.jpeg

4725EC7F-CF65-4F4F-B63F-8647FD5869DC.jpeg

A94564B7-2238-4684-9AB1-4BA7A313A893.jpeg

5793F830-DFD3-42D3-B509-2D9BAD9155DC.jpeg

• Like 4

It was a great weekend perfect weather not to windy. I was a dummy for leaving the spot I saw Tom and Kato up on the ridge sorry guys hindsight is 20/20 . Working my way back to camp while keeping and eye out Tom and Kato I got a rear flat and slowed considerably.As I got to camp my riding partners were leaving to look for me thanks for your concern and sorry to make you worry. All in all I had a great time met some fine people and got to ride my old KTM 300 in the open dessert Thanks everyone

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Corpic said:

It was a great weekend perfect weather not to windy. I was a dummy for leaving the spot I saw Tom and Kato up on the ridge sorry guys hindsight is 20/20 . Working my way back to camp while keeping and eye out Tom and Kato I got a rear flat and slowed considerably.As I got to camp my riding partners were leaving to look for me thanks for your concern and sorry to make you worry. All in all I had a great time met some fine people and got to ride my old KTM 300 in the open dessert Thanks everyone

It ended well, so no harm/no foul.  We definitely could have communicated better to meet up on the corner or something after exploring.  I wasn't up for those ridges either after I got to the top!  A few more desert trips and I will have some confidence in myself and my machinery again.  

What ridges? I had my eyes closed the whole time ah!

Eventful fun weekend thanks tom for putting this together and to all for making us feel welcome, my teens had a great time. Good seeing old faces and meeting new ones, till next one!

Edited by kato
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kato said:

What ridges? I had my eyes closed the whole time ah!

Eventful fun weekend thanks tom for putting this together and to all for making us feel welcome, my teens had a great time. Good seeing old faces and meeting new ones, till next one!

Hope you have some cake tonight mon ami!  

Thanks to Tom for organizing!

Thanks to Andy @Wintyfreshfor setting a nice pace after Tom and Corpic split to acquire a new KTM

Thanks to @TheNookieWR for helping me feel extra 'murican with the Harley gloves.

@Corpic made a mean roast and mushrooms.

Sorry Tom and Dennis for turning around right out of camp(Saturday afternoon), but after I saw that first move, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to hang with you if it was that kind of ride. I need to work on my slower technical work if I want to do that stuff with confidence.

IMG_20221119_154715.jpg

IMG_20221119_103410.jpg

IMG_20221119_103401.jpg

• Like 3

No step..

Dennis, lol. I'm Darren ( like on Bewitched).

Is not your fault...

Tom said  "we will follow you through anything, where ever you want to go..." and in my mind I heard  "take us thru the scariest most brutal terrain you can find with out another helicopter ride" so I was like "are you sure?" 

I know Kato would of done it.  He will ride over anything you throw at him... ( he was busy being a #1 dad).

I was already warmed up. Good times. 

You did great on those sand hill climbs no step. You Left me in the dust. 

Here's you giving TNT a run for his money.

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 1