It was a beautiful day in the desert. Took a route to Fish creek that most people don't get a chance to see.

Lots of people were coming out to enjoy the area. Here's a pic of Canyon Sin Nombre from the east side of it.

I rode up thru Fish Creek to see some new sights

I'm grateful that I can get out and appreciate what Fish Creek has to offer.

it's was really fun drinking water and exploring the elements

My Honda did really well on the rocky stuff.

Drank some coffee and ate some grub after climbing this mountain

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 5

Nice pics! How many miles do you have on the 650L? Has it had any issues?

A friend of mine is looking at one. 

thanks!

• Like 1

It's low cost, able and dependable.

It's also mechanic friendly. 

It currently is 25 yrs old runs perfect with 19000 on the clock.

One time a huge rock hit my kickstand mount and bent it . I had it rewelded.

I think it works well for leading dual sport rides or cruising around in the canyons on your days off.

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 1

All excellent points. I'm comparing the DRZ400 to a XR650L. Is your motor all stock? 

I've ridden a XR600 and like the tractoring of that motor. I hear the L has a lower 1st and 2nd gear and even heavier flywheel effect?  The estart is nice, the extra weight of the battery etc is what it is.

How would you describe the nature of the bike?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, 350thumper said:

it's was really fun drinking water and exploring the elements

😂🤣

Were you there by yourself? Any pictures of the "soft sand"? I was wondering how feasible it is to go there with a big bike.

• Like 1

Hi padu,  I've been thinking about that ducati of yours when I get into the sand. Yes I ride solo quite a bit, I have a support system that I've developed that will rescue me if I run into difficulty. I spend weeks cutting in new trail and laying out adventure routes to try and give the best desert adv experiance to dualsports and adv riders that follow me on my rides.  

I work with adv big bike riders to help them develop their sand riding technique and ability, meaning I get off my bike and physically help them get righted , and take the time to discuss acceleration lines and momentum techniques before diving in, while on the trail (or sand wash).

Your ducati is a mid sized adv bike which gives you tremendous advantage in the desert sand over big heavy adv bikes.

We could meet up and ride a route I've been putting together. I belive your bike will do great on it. It's part sand /part dirt. I'll post a ride for Sunday and if your interested come out and dive in.. 

Edited by 350thumper

On 11/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, Goofy Footer said:

All excellent points. I'm comparing the DRZ400 to a XR650L. Is your motor all stock? 

I've ridden a XR600 and like the tractoring of that motor. I hear the L has a lower 1st and 2nd gear and even heavier flywheel effect?  The estart is nice, the extra weight of the battery etc is what it is.

How would you describe the nature of the bike?

Yes bone stock motor, intake and exhaust.

I believe the drz400 has an e model with a starter on it,  it's a great bike also.  Th3 drz400  e-start will hold its value and you won't be dissatisfied by that bike either.   

In forest or single track the drz might have the edge.  I'd rather pick up a drz that fell over than a xrL.

Although Honda XR650L, with its 62% bigger air-cooled 644 cc engine, is 29 lbs (10%) heavier and 12% more powerful than the Suzuki DRZ400S with its liquid-cooled 398 cc motor. The XR650L is also 10% higher off the ground with a similar seat height than the DRZ400S. 

I'm sticking with my xl for now but the drz is a great bike, get one and come ride,  we can hash out the details in the Dez canyons.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:50 AM, 350thumper said:

Hi padu,  I've been thinking about that ducati of yours when I get into the sand. Yes I ride solo quite a bit, I have a support system that I've developed that will rescue me if I run into difficulty. I spend weeks cutting in new trail and laying out adventure routes to try and give the best desert adv experiance to dualsports and adv riders that follow me on my rides.  

I work with adv big bike riders to help them develop their sand riding technique and ability, meaning I get off my bike and physically help them get righted , and take the time to discuss acceleration lines and momentum techniques before diving in, while on the trail (or sand wash).

Your ducati is a mid sized adv bike which gives you tremendous advantage in the desert sand over big heavy adv bikes.

We could meet up and ride a route I've been putting together. I belive your bike will do great on it. It's part sand /part dirt. I'll post a ride for Sunday and if your interested come out and dive in.. 

I will definitely take you on that! The problem is that I'm fully booked till mid-December on weekends. Maybe I should call sick during a weekday? 😉

The Desert X did amazing on the sand on my 5-day trip to Baja on stock tires and stock bar stabilizer. Since then I've switched the tires to the Motoz Rallz and some adjustable ohlins bar stabilizers. It became a sand eating machine! I did the full lower grapevine canyon ride a couple of weeks ago and the sand was deep. No problems at all, but living here in socal, we need to keep the sand skills sharp.

Thats great news.. I'm glad to hear you've been practicing.  I believe your going to be a great leader of other riders.  

the tires are going to pay off .  

If you post up a weekday ride in dez  will join in and we could collaborate ideas.  

• Like 1

Just piecing together the fabric of San Diego and Imperial Backcountry while making my own on site observations.

Thankyou for witnessing it and enjoying it.