I'm so excited that I get to go to GEICO this year.  My first was in 2019 and had a stupendous time.  Wound up on an aggressive team and came in 4th overall out of 70+ teams.  Missed the podium by 1 point! 

In 2020, we all missed the rally (covid) and I couldn't make it in 2021 for personal reasons.  So now I'm back....this time for fun and not for a podium finish.  @shutterrev, Ryan (out of town friend of shutterrev), @Porkchop and myself will make up the Farkle Ponies for this year's event.

I have to thank @DSM8 for the moto camping class and @tntmo for the hands-on camping excursion 2 weeks ago.  After honing my skills, I finished packing this afternoon and it looks like this:

IMG_8149.thumb.jpg.3270cd4ffe0facbda1677a83d7765377.jpg

After all the mentoring., I still couldn't figure out how to ride 2 bikes, take a pop up shade, 4 man tent, Igloo cooler of ginormous size without assistance from my old 1 ton dualie.  I appreciate the help gents.....I managed to get it all in one trip 😂

More to come :)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

I'm so excited that I get to go to GEICO this year.  My first was in 2019 and had a stupendous time.  Wound up on an aggressive team and came in 4th overall out of 70+ teams.  Missed the podium by 1 point! 

In 2020, we all missed the rally (covid) and I couldn't make it in 2021 for personal reasons.  So now I'm back....this time for fun and not for a podium finish.  @shutterrev, Ryan (out of town friend of shutterrev), @Porkchop and myself will make up the Farkle Ponies for this year's event.

I have to thank @DSM8 for the moto camping class and @tntmo for the hands-on camping excursion 2 weeks ago.  After honing my skills, I finished packing this afternoon and it looks like this:

IMG_8149.thumb.jpg.3270cd4ffe0facbda1677a83d7765377.jpg

After all the mentoring., I still couldn't figure out how to ride 2 bikes, take a pop up shade, 4 man tent, Igloo cooler of ginormous size without assistance from my old 1 ton dualie.  I appreciate the help gents.....I managed to get it all in one trip 😂

More to come :)

Looks good,  I am debating on bringing both the 790 and the 500 but I am super excited to ride the 500 for the 1st time offroad.  The 790 would be fantastic for the road trip sections.  That thing gets to the speed limit very quick.  lol   I also just put the Shinko fatty tire up front, I heard good things about it and I loved the Golden tyre fatty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pokey151 said:

Looks good,  I am debating on bringing both the 790 and the 500 but I am super excited to ride the 500 for the 1st time offroad.  The 790 would be fantastic for the road trip sections.  That thing gets to the speed limit very quick.  lol   I also just put the Shinko fatty tire up front, I heard good things about it and I loved the Golden tyre fatty

Bring the 790 if you have a pickup.  The 500 can handle road speeds fine, but full knobs and an ironing board for a seat makes for a long day :)

Can't wait to hang out! I owe you a drink for the margarita(s).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moto_rph said:

Bring the 790 if you have a pickup.  The 500 can handle road speeds fine, but full knobs and an ironing board for a seat makes for a long day :)

two words for the seat on the 500

Seat Concepts.

I will be there only for Friday, if you find me you can try the 525 and see how the seat is on that.

Dont know what campsite the people I am meeting are in as of yet, I will be coming down in a 21 white F150 crewcab.

I’ll be on the 500 site 101, just hot my numbers on a couple days ago.  Excuse the messy garage. Working on too many things at once

D4D39FCF-A830-4AC1-9B1B-53B04545ABE2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pokey151 said:

I’ll be on the 500 site 101, just hot my numbers on a couple days ago.  Excuse the messy garage. Working on too many things at once

D4D39FCF-A830-4AC1-9B1B-53B04545ABE2.jpeg

why did you HOT your number plate, it wasnt cool enough for you as is....deva 

I have a Seat Concepts seat sitting in the garage. It fits a 2015 KTM 200 XCW, if it fits any of your bikes and you want to borrow it let me know!

(actually it doesn't look like it would fit the above 500)
image.png.bd552590b7eb9b1a55de93b86931339f.png

21 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

I also just put the Shinko fatty tire up front, I heard good things about it and I loved the Golden tyre fatty

I am too cheap for the Golden Tire Big Boned so tried the Shinko MX216 Big Boned on my 500 as i read they were the same expect for the name/$$. Will NOT and have NOT run another front tire on any dirt bike i have owned. Don't ride in the wet but sticks like glue everywhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DSM8 said:

why did you HOT your number plate, it wasnt cool enough for you as is....deva 

Lol. It had my buddies number and I plan on racing the Adelanto GP so I run my race number

On 11/2/2022 at 3:21 PM, cmbthumper said:

I am too cheap for the Golden Tire Big Boned so tried the Shinko MX216 Big Boned on my 500 as i read they were the same expect for the name/$$. Will NOT and have NOT run another front tire on any dirt bike i have owned. Don't ride in the wet but sticks like glue everywhere. 

Shinto is a great tire.  I run those black tires in the front 3.25 I like a tire that I can really hang it out there on the back roads,  I also like a tire that matches the rear.  It just looks cooler. 

On the rear I like a wide tire that grips well after it is worn in so I can get the miles out of it,  I found that if it does rocks well and sand then it fits my criteria.  The tire I use to champion the desert is called a death-wings.

20221105_074744.thumb.jpg.ca20a26e6c9970ef19da340eae8e4478.jpg

This tire is in its "prime" I can do those long runs that are mostly pavement like those trips to Julian.

I can probly put another 600  1000on it thru the harshest of conditions.

I buy my tires on line to save a few bucks then pay a locL shop to mount it because I don't like to fight the tire even though these tires slip on like a familiar pair of cozy slippers

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 1

Showed up yesterday and got to do a ride with two buddies that I don’t think on SDAR we ended up doing something like 215 miles picked up a bunch of points and unfortunately I didn’t see anybody else from the site here maybe I got in to early and left too early who knows but attached is the video for the loop that we did on Friday only went up for the one day

Ride

• Like 1

I went down today with a friend,  the campground looked pretty empty compared to the last years. We left around 3pm to be home in the daylight. Didn't see anyone else in  there campground from the forum.

• Like 1

What a great weekend. Thursday was rough. @Rjg967 lost his water pump seal on our 1st stop at shell reef. Ended up having to go get the truck to recover it. I went home and brought the 790 for him to ride so his weekend would not be shot. We covered some decent ground Friday.  Plus I finally got some seat time of the 500. I need to balance that front tire and mess with the suspension some more. The previous owner has it setup for track and high speed desert riding.  The rain we had Wed/Thur made for some perfect soil.  I really wish we could have pinyon/fish creek Thursday 

well can’t wait for next year

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 6:30 PM, Mr.JAJA said:

Didn't see anyone else in  there campground from the forum.

Dang, sorry we missed you. I was there with my family in our RV, spot 139. tow rows down from us was @shutterrev, @moto_rph, and a lifelong friend of Nick's who flew in for the event. There were 2-3 other people staying with them, sorry if I am forgetting handles from the forum. Also had 2-3 people from the forum come up and say hello to me during the event. Considering it was my first GEICO Adv Ride event and thus I had no measuring stick, I think it was a great event. I had fun riding with my wife ( @Angela is now an official adventure biker! ) and my friends.

• Like 2

What a blast that was. Honestly didn't do any research before showing up and was thoroughly impressed by the organization, industry support, and the vibe of the whole event. Despite Petunia the flying pig deciding to make mochas in the Crankcase, @Pokey151came to the rescue with the 790. 

Although we didn't rack up a whole lotta points, we had a ton of fun. Not to mention getting to flog the HD Pan American, that thing far exceeded my expectations. 

Cannot wait for the next one!

• Like 2

@Rjg967 - Boom - sounds like we have another guaranteed rally goer. I feel like this event is underrated, I have been going since their first event and left that time with the same sentiment, great org, great event, well done for sure. I have paid a lot more money, and had to go a lot farther, for much less well done events IMHO this one is great, very local, and over delivers vs the competition. See you there next year for sure 🤘

• Agree 1

The Hawkins crew will attend next year as well. Actually we plan to tick off most of the event map over the coming year as Angela earns her knobbies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

The Hawkins crew will attend next year as well. Actually we plan to tick off most of the event map over the coming year as Angela earns her knobbies.

DO NOT do the ones that are clustered around the Basketball Hoop/Phone Booth

Two words

DEEP SAND

Suck factor is very high on those points.
We were the only other team that actually went out and got those points, thats how bad it is.

50 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

Noted, as I am not a sand rider yet, and may never be.

You will be - it's too much fun not to be :drinks:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shutterrev said:

You will be - it's too much fun not to be :drinks:

The West38 class last week has shaken all the fear I had of sand! It's almost fun now 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WooHoo! I have a couple ‘secret spots’ to go sand playing with you. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, padu said:

The West38 class last week has shaken all the fear I had of sand!

Omg, I cancelled that class so I could also do the 2-3 after. I’m super excited. 

• Like 2