tntmo

Ride The Desert! Ocotillo Wells Nov 19-20

It's the most wonderful time of the year, at least if you're into desert riding.  The temps are down and riding should be great. 

I have a busy month, but I think I have my lady convinced to go out to Ocotillo Wells SVRA on the weekend of 19-20 November.  If you've never ridden there, it's got a good mix of everything the desert has to offer and is a decent place to take a dual sport ride to Borrego Springs or ride over to the shores of the lovely Salton Sea.  We are likely bringing the toy hauler, but OW is a good place to tent camp from because they have bathrooms and showers (bring quarters).  

I posted this in Family Oriented Rides because we raised our kids out here in the winter months and I still like to see kids riding.  So, bring your kids, your significant others or just yourself.  There will be a fire after the sun goes down and beverages will be consumed and lies will be told.  

I will probably be bringing my two stroke 250 and the wife's Rhino, so no dual sport riding for me but it's up to you to decide where you'd like to ride.

Will likely stage somewhere near Main Street, we like to camp in "The Cove" area which is sort of behind Blow Sand Hill.  Will have to just play it by ear, because there's no real way to tell what area may be unoccupied when we show up.  I can bring a few stakes and cardboard signs to put out and I will update the site whenever we get there.

Here's a site with the map, Main Street to The Cove is shown in the lower left corner.

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23478

• Like 5

5 hours ago, J5ive said:

@tntmo I'd like to join in on this. 

Everyone is welcome, hope to see you there!

Hey Guys, thanks for the tag!  I don’t think I will be able to make it to this ride.  My son is turning 17 on the 16th and this is the first weekend after for us to celebrate.  Every year as tradition, we go to a theme park of his choosing.  But I hope everyone that goes has a fun and safe trip!  I would love to make it out again asap!  I just did a solo moto camp trip out to Cippets Flat Campground, right off the heels of our NOOB ride.  It was fantastic.  I’m super hooked now.  Anyway, thanks again and I’ll see everyone soon! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcMila said:

Hey Guys, thanks for the tag!  I don’t think I will be able to make it to this ride.  My son is turning 17 on the 16th and this is the first weekend after for us to celebrate.  Every year as tradition, we go to a theme park of his choosing.  But I hope everyone that goes has a fun and safe trip!  I would love to make it out again asap!  I just did a solo moto camp trip out to Cippets Flat Campground, right off the heels of our NOOB ride.  It was fantastic.  I’m super hooked now.  Anyway, thanks again and I’ll see everyone soon! 

Theme Park with 17? He need to go to Germany for a Sledge ride, or Pocono Raceway and drive 20 miles in a NASCAR. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J5ive said:

@tntmo are you going to put this on the calendar?

Thank you for the reminder!  I will.

Are you heading out Friday (the 18th) or Saturday (the 19th)? 

21 minutes ago, Wintyfresh said:

Trying to head out Friday afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

@Wintyfresh ! it would be rad to see you again amigo. If you make it out to Tom's camp I'll head out there for a day trip. No riding for me at the moment but it would be cool to hang out. @tntmo Camp is a good time

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

@Wintyfresh ! it would be rad to see you again amigo. If you make it out to Tom's camp I'll head out there for a day trip. No riding for me at the moment but it would be cool to hang out. @tntmo Camp is a good time

That would be great! My plan is to make it out for this one, just need a few other things to line up before I can confirm. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 8:39 PM, Goofy Footer said:

@PaulyPickles@Birdi are you available these dates?  Could be a great intro to the Dez weekend for you.

@Goofy Footer I can definitely make this work. Would have to figure out how to transport the bike............ 

• Like 1

I'd like to join for sure, I can bring the XR650 or the F800 depending on how many people bring what...

• Like 1

Barring bad weather the wife and I are in! 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:16 AM, AlphaOgre said:

I'd like to join for sure, I can bring the XR650 or the F800 depending on how many people bring what...

XR650 seems like the right choice to me. 

• Like 3

The weather looks great this weekend!

I'm at about 80% odds of making it out there. Other desert friends can't make it, but it would be great to see the few of you I've met before.

I'll be on a DRZ.

22 minutes ago, nostep said:

The weather looks great this weekend!

I'm at about 80% odds of making it out there. Other desert friends can't make it, but it would be great to see the few of you I've met before.

I'll be on a DRZ.

It will be great to see anyone I haven't met before, as well.  Hope to see ya there! 

• Like 1

I plan on leaving early Friday. This will be my first time with the group so it will be nice to meet some new folks. Since I never camped at the Cove before and don't know how popular it is, should I can take a look to see if a spot with a cabana is available and grab it? f that's something everyone thinks is a good idea I can try it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Apple said:

I plan on leaving early Friday. This will be my first time with the group so it will be nice to meet some new folks. Since I never camped at the Cove before and don't know how popular it is, should I can take a look to see if a spot with a cabana is available and grab it? f that's something everyone thinks is a good idea I can try it.

Yeah, I probably won’t be able to leave until 3-4 so if you get there early that would be awesome.  

How is 2WD access to that area? I have only ever rode in that area on a bike, and we usually stay off the main roads

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nostep said:

How is 2WD access to that area? I have only ever rode in that area on a bike, and we usually stay off the main roads

I used to take my old Class A RV to that spot and never had a problem.  My rally Lexus gets there no trouble, but it has multi colored stripes that make it faster/better.  Should be zero issues.