@tntmo, I'm directing this at you since you did such a nice job coordinating last weekend's campout.  What's next?  If we don't decide upon a ride and block out the time, it will never happen.  Soooo, I'll fall on my sword first and propose a couple of ideas:

1.  Ramona to Idyllwild and/or Big Bear:  There was a pretty good string going in the last couple of months about riding an "all dirt" trek from essentially Ramona to Big Bear.  I've never done it and it sounds like a hoot.  It's getting late in the year and I'm getting late in years, so I would suggest this not be a camping trip.....rather we could grab a bunch of cabins and do an overnighter?  That way, we could travel light and enjoy the ride :)

2.  Parker Dash:  @shutterrev found this event on the SDAR site last year.  That is how we both became members of the club.  We attended the dash and had a great time.  Starts Saturday morning in Indio with a Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced gps routes of approx 115 miles to Parker, AZ.  Chase vehicle has a lunch set up along the way.  Dinner and motel in Parker and reverse the route on Sunday.  Routes are available from gpsKevin for $49.  I heartily recommend the varied terrain but would limit this to dual sport.  Unless you are an expert rider or stay with the Beginner route (ie. pavement), there is way too much sand for big bikes.

Anyway, sword has been fallen upon and I am bleeding....let's get something on the books :)

whadayathink??

• Like 4

I have been considering something, got a few irons in the fire now.  The Geico Rally is coming up (next weekend?), I’m taking my rally car up to Johnson Valley Nov 12-13 for the Gambler 500 rally.

i might be free 19-20 November? Then it’s thanksgiving weekend after that….and then into December.  Life comes at you fast!

• Like 1

I may have a couple pre paid full 3 day with food passes. I’ll confirm with the next few days 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

I may have a couple pre paid full 3 day with food passes. I’ll confirm with the next few days 

I am loaning my KTM out, but could bring my Trail 90..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

I am loaning my KTM out, but could bring my Trail 90..

That trail 90 would be the star of the show!  Do it!

E30294F7-91EA-4982-9FA1-E06BB6D055DC.gif

Edited by Pokey151
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

That trail 90 would be the star of the show!  Do it!

I’m just worried if people can keep up….

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

I’m just worried if people can keep up….

Depends on the route. 

• Haha 1

I'm out of town for the Rally and missed the last overnight ride, but I'm definitely down for the Romona to Big Bear. I would think it needs to happen soon though or wait till spring. That route seems to hit roads a few times so if people are getting tired or falling behind, there could be a turnback and head home via the roads. 

With the desert season coming up, there can be some big loop rides leaving Ocotillo to the Salton Sea and through split mountain through to San Felipe Wash too. It could be good to set up training/practice rides of sand or tighter trail loops too. 'm planning to take the BMW out a few times this season over the XR for exactly that purpose. 

• Like 3

Brace-yourself-Winter.jpg

Big Bear season is closing soon and we’d definitely want to research any closures from the summer fires.

It sounds like there is some momentum for a ride which is great! This club and forum has lots of good people on it and the hard part is herding cats & aligning schedules to ride!

If you’re headed out or jonesing to ride, post up a date in advance and see who jumps on. There are many people who lurk or don’t post much who still love to ride.

@350thumper has been riding a lot in the local desert and Bow Willow is a nice place to stage for rides in southern Anza Borrego. You can access Vallecito and run all the way north through the mudcaves down the Borrego? Dropoff into Fish Creek. 

Another cool idea would be pick a weekend in Nov / Dec and stage a SDAR Welcome to the Desert Campout. Stage off Main Street in Ocotillo Wells as there are bathrooms, showers nearby, the Ranger Station/Visitors Center and the area has Some marginal cell service.

All bikes and riders are welcome. Heck, bring your quad Gasp! You could match up with friends and ride any way you want.

You can ride to Borrego Springs, up to Truckhaven, through OW, to Superstition or to Ocotillo (off the 8).

Stagecoach Campground is an option but many people are going there for the Geico Rally. OW is free and has dirt in every direction.

@Zubb any interest in a big bike ride around there? Maybe a 30 minute clinic on sand riding? Maybe we get to see you jump the campfire?

You could ride out, truck out, camp for the weekend or head home but the key social thing for me would be Campfire at 6pm sharp! 

It was pretty fun meeting & hanging out next to the campfire at @tntmo’s n00b Campout. Having everybody stage together also offers support if there is a breakdown or flat. 

@Covered in Dust how can we lure Mr @kkug to sponsor another of his FAMOUS “Kug Mystery Rides” ??  There is a whole new generation if riders who need Koog Stickers on their bikes!

Edited by Goofy Footer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

@Goofy Footer I'd be all over what you've described above, but we have GEICO, then Thanksgiving, then who knows?  If we plan out something (even a Kug Mystery Ride!) and put it on the books as a 1st ride of 2023, would you be healed up?  It doesn't have to be soon....we just need to cure the procrastination :)

It,s a Mystery but the KUG just is not riding his EXC much any more . Something about getting old and concetrating on Human powered Bicycles. He is now walking a bit stiff due to falling off his " Push Bike "  pedaling to Santee from Poway .

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear you had a bad get off kug. I'm in to my e mnt bike to cross train with, it does most of the work 

I got it from Wal mart it's called a Hyper . It has 36volts of pedal assisting lithium pow3r .

Maybe if you planned a dual sport campout for the guys that are anxious to camp then just drove your truck to the campsite with beer in the back ?  Maybe some coors light on ice.

11 hours ago, kkug said:

It,s a Mystery but the KUG just is not riding his EXC much any more . Something about getting old and concetrating on Human powered Bicycles. He is now walking a bit stiff due to falling off his " Push Bike "  pedaling to Santee from Poway .

Damn sorry to hear that @kkug !  One thing is for sure, no matter your age / back soreness you're young at heart and always love 2 wheel riding!

It would be great to hangout with you at a campfire. I'm too am on injury reserve and drove to @tntmo's n00b Campout.  Exactly what @350thumper suggests, hopefully you can drive out to a camp with us sometime if you're still hurting. Maybe we could get the legendary @Covered in Dust out there too.  It would be great to see you guys and talk about big trip ideas.

What do you think is a better place for a group camp, Thomas Mountain or Santa Rosa Peak? 

On 10/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, moto_rph said:

I will be at the Geico rally with @shutterrev and @Porkchop on the "Farkle Ponies".....not worried about the holidays...maybe a ring in 2023 jaunt??

What is this "Geico rally" and where do I sign up? 

@Dale, us Farkle Ponies are max'd out already at 4 (max for a team), but if you check out the website @Goofy Footer posted, you'll see that there are a lot of "singles" that sign up.  They will attempt to meld everyone into impromptu teams.

You're totally welcome to come hang with us tho :)

I will try to ride any short distance ride in the future. Live is getting short. I will ride down to the Geico rally on Saturday only for the day from Ramona, Will be back by 6-7PM.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I will try to ride any short distance ride in the future. Live is getting short. I will ride down to the Geico rally on Saturday only for the day from Ramona, Will be back by 6-7PM.

@Mr.JAJA, please stop by and see me and @shutterrev while you're there.  We usually camp in the last aisle on the right as you enter the campground :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moto_rph said:

@Mr.JAJA, please stop by and see me and @shutterrev while you're there.  We usually camp in the last aisle on the right as you enter the campground :)

We will be in sites 112 & 113

• Like 1

@Mr.JAJA In unserem Camp wird es eine Mischung aus österreichischen und deutschen Fahrrädern geben. Aber meistens die orange Sorte.

• Like 1