Pokey151

New to me 17 KTM 500 exc

A compulsive buy off a friend.  The bike has 24 hrs and 708 mi on it.  Suspension revalved for desert and some track use at 220 (should be perfect for me)  It also came with KTM supermoto wheels and the supermoto brake and master cylinder setup.  The color scheme is not my type but I ordered my own numbers, I am excited to ride some terrain between the 300 and 790,  Like Pinyon to Fish creek etc...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very nice. Looks brand new.

I am so glad i Sumo'd my 525 and kept the setup for my 450 as it easily knocks 20 years of your age. Soooo fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cmbthumper said:

Very nice. Looks brand new.

I am so glad i Sumo'd my 525 and kept the setup for my 450 as it easily knocks 20 years of your age. Soooo fun.

Thanks and yeah I converted my YZ450 to SM,  took it to Adams quite a few times, so much fun.  guess I need to lose the gut to fit back into my 1 piece leathers,  I will be taking to to Palomar for sure

• Like 1

Wow, a 2017 with 708 miles. What a score. 

Nice grab especially if you know the previous owner.

Are you going to install a kickstarter as backup?

25 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Nice grab especially if you know the previous owner.

Are you going to install a kickstarter as backup?

Thank you,   I am not sure. I’ll look into it

You are living my dream, that bike is so awesome! I'm considering selling the trials bike and my old Honda to get something similar. I'll have to set aside a few grand extra for bail money if it has supermoto wheels though. Congrats!

• Like 1

I have that bike and you're gonna like it!  Hit me up if you need to uncork it.  Poor bike is strangled in stock condition

27 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

I have that bike and you're gonna like it!  Hit me up if you need to uncork it.  Poor bike is strangled in stock condition

Thanks,  I think it's uncorked, I know the reed on the intake is removed and there is a different end cap along with a fuel management system.  (not quite the way I would do it but I am still researching stuff)   I did notice it vibrates quite a bit, from what I read, that's what the 17-19's do?  I am use to my 790 and 300 tpi which are both butter smooth

5 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

Thanks,  I think it's uncorked, I know the reed on the intake is removed and there is a different end cap along with a fuel management system.  (not quite the way I would do it but I am still researching stuff)   I did notice it vibrates quite a bit, from what I read, that's what the 17-19's do?  I am use to my 790 and 300 tpi which are both butter smooth

After my 19' 500 EXC i learned a little bit to be dangerous.

Reed is/was for passing sound requirements. Taking it out looses a little low end and end gains a little top end. Unless you are Tobey Price i doubt anyone would notice.

Mine was so lean it flamed out at the most dangerous times. Almost let a $10K bike sit until i could learn why it was doing so. End cap should only be done while adding fuel aka a JD Tuner or the like so you are safe there. I found a 17' Unlocked ECU and sent it to Blais Racing for his tune. Mine was a Different bike afterwards that is for sure. Votrex was too expensive for me at the time so i passed on that. The Get/Athena just came out and was way more $$ than the Vortex. Vortex is the replace and never touch ECU upgrade as it is near perfect even today.

Vibes? Ha Ha! Sorry that was #4 or 5 on the list of reasons i sold mine. Supposed to get better once broken in but it got worse. Holy H was mine bad and almost unrideble after 30min. Coming from an XR it was definitely "different".

Like any bike, deal with it strengths and weaknesses and ride it or move on to something else because 85% of riding is in your head.

8 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

👉  because 85% of riding is in your head.  

Whomever set @moto_rph 500 up, knows what's up, I remember riding his in stock form and thinking well it's quite a bit lighter than the sex-noin-T but where's the juice? Now that thing is pretty amazing, the power is very good, and the bike also doesn't run rough at all, it's been raged all over the roads at non dirtbike speeds, and bounced up and down trails and just seems to just be set up really well.