Mr.JAJA

1night noob ride with weather.

12 minutes ago, J5ive said:

The search is on.  I'd been thinking about it, even went to a shop last week.  However, after talking with you, I started the search.  A whole new world of what's what...

I am certain there are enough people suffering from multiple bike syndrome that would be able to loan you a small bike for a day in the dirt, try before you buy kind of thing.
And how small is small enough

?

Trail 90 is the best one.

• Haha 1

@DSM8  I'd think something like 400 - 650.  But nothing is for sure...who know's a 250 might fit the bill

Edited by J5ive

On 10/24/2022 at 3:23 PM, DSM8 said:

You have a 3rd option if you ditch the Mosko stuff.
Small and THIN bags on the side racks, you put into those everything you DONT use for camping etc.
Tubes, tools to change a tire and other stuff go into the bottom of the bags, and maybe stuff that is light goes on top, only getting into the bags once a day at most helps to determine what you stuff into them, they also take away bulk from areas where you need the space but allow the bringing of important stuff for emergencies.
Mine always have the tools and tubes, emergency food ration (dehydrated stuff just dont do that in bear country), usually a pair f shoes I wear at camp go on top.

stuff like that.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-traverse-pannier-bags-p

I have to echo what @DSM8 stated above.  These are the Tusk bags he referred to mounted to my 500 (for perspective).  Tool bag in the right, MSR can and first aid bag on the left.  Still room for various....can't beat it for about $99 :)IMG_8134.thumb.jpg.9154920f40ab01f7e914d01d68c85d5b.jpg

7 hours ago, J5ive said:

The search is on.  I'd been thinking about it, even went to a shop last week.  However, after talking with you, I started the search.  A whole new world of what's what...

@J5ive you're more than welcome to try my KTM 500 for a day if you wish.  I am blessed to have the 3 bikes that fit my needs currently:

BMW 1200GSA:  100% road trips with my wife on the back.  Did a 5500 mile trip this year

KTM 500:  I've set this up for sand...and light.  I absolutely love this bike.  And I can pick it up (new knee)

Triumph Street Triple:  my hooligan bike when I'm looking for sweepers

Hit me up..  you breaky, you fixy, but otherwise, have at it 😁

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

@J5ive you're more than welcome to try my KTM 500 for a day if you wish.  I am blessed to have the 3 bikes that fit my needs currently:

BMW 1200GSA:  100% road trips with my wife on the back.  Did a 5500 mile trip this year

KTM 500:  I've set this up for sand...and light.  I absolutely love this bike.  And I can pick it up (new knee)

Triumph Street Triple:  my hooligan bike when I'm looking for sweepers

Hit me up..  you breaky, you fixy, but otherwise, have at it 😁

@J5ive to the white courtesy phone please, @J5ive !!

This is a great opportunity to try a small bike. @moto_rph maybe meet in Pechanga and do a bike swap up Nate Harrison or something? Post up if you guys end up riding!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J5ive said:

@DSM8  I'd think something like 400 - 650.  But nothing is for sure...who know's a 250 might fit the bill

You can try my 300 tpi, Its no trail 90 but It gets through some stuff pretty easy, it even had a rekluse so you cannot stall it.  It's not plated though, so desert trips, bee canyon, McCain etc...

• Like 1

@moto_rph & @Pokey151 I'll take you up on the offer.  I'd love to just get the feel of what a lighter bike feels like, especially with some good tires.  We just need to set up a day/time.

@Goofy Footer thanks for your time today on the phone - opened me up to a bunch of ideas and thoughts  (still need the re-text, I deleted the wrong message)

• Like 1

You can throw a leg over the 690 as well if you want. 

Guess I could put together a "SDAR bike swap" day out in the desert or something.  Who's bringing the BBQ?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Guess I could put together a "SDAR bike swap" day out in the desert or something.  Who's bringing the BBQ?  

I could be persuaded to truck out a grill and cooler.  Anyone have a 10x10 pop up?  Could also provide tunes, or if desired I'm sure I can find a Mariachi band.  Uh-Oh.  Starting to look like another camp out!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I could be persuaded to truck out a grill and cooler.  Anyone have a 10x10 pop up?  Could also provide tunes, or if desired I'm sure I can find a Mariachi band.  Uh-Oh.  Starting to look like another camp out!

It's a given that it would be a campout. 

If we go somewhere like Ocotillo Wells, it's even odds that there will be a Mariachi band in a camp close enough that we won't need to hire one and they will play until 0300.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

It's a given that it would be a campout. 

If we go somewhere like Ocotillo Wells, it's even odds that there will be a Mariachi band in a camp close enough that we won't need to hire one and they will play until 0300.    

Yeah, this has happened to me too.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 525 anyone is welcome to take for a spin allows you to compare EFI to CARB on the small bike while your at it.

There is a difference.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zubb said:

I have a 10x10 pop up, if this thing goes off.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J5ive said:

I have a 10x10 pop up, if this thing goes off.

Your talking about shelter and not a "Sausage" right?

😂

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

Your talking about shelter and not a "Sausage" right?

😂

BAM!

15 hours ago, tntmo said:

I would sign up for this not once but twice. I would even take a day off work to do so and that would be my 3rd day off this year. Yes, work rules my life.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DSM8 said:

I have a 525 anyone is welcome to take for a spin allows you to compare EFI to CARB on the small bike while your at it.

There is a difference.

Having had a 19' KTM 500 and a 07' 525 EXC for the nearest comparison, there is a little difference between an EFI and a properly tuned carb save for cost to get each one to run right. The motors are soo different in how they deliver power they really can't be compared IMO. My $.02 is that the bike needs to be "Tuned" or "properly jetted" to bring it to it's full potential.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:34 PM, cmbthumper said:

Having had a 19' KTM 500 and a 07' 525 EXC for the nearest comparison, there is a little difference between an EFI and a properly tuned carb save for cost to get each one to run right. The motors are soo different in how they deliver power they really can't be compared IMO. My $.02 is that the bike needs to be "Tuned" or "properly jetted" to bring it to it's full potential.

Its the difference in power delivery that they need to experience 

ive ridden some bikes that were so race oriented in the dirt they were terrible for dual sporting 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Its the difference in power delivery that they need to experience 

ive ridden some bikes that were so race oriented in the dirt they were terrible for dual sporting 

100% agree and Spot On. The reason i went from a 19' KTM 500 EXC "Tuned & Decorked" to an 07' KTM 525 EXC.

To me, the 500 was a Jekyll and Hyde bike and needed to be constantly ridden at pace and was to "Pipey" for. My 500 was my first KTM ever as i kinda bought it on a "i need a bike to finish the riding season". After i sent my 500 down the rode to an actual rider i did some research as i liked KTM and it's components. I narrowed it down to the 525 or 450 EXC in the RFS era and of course living in CA i wanted a Factory Dual Sport so it was only the 07' year that fit the bill. The 08-11 KTM's didn't settle well with my checklist on reliability from the oiling issue and the 12'+ were to much $$.

I test rode my 525 and it felt like my XR400 or 600 where i sat more "In the bike" than on top like my 500. Power wise down low it loves to lug, tractor like torque, Mid range to top end power was linear yet pulled like a train until the speed scares me. Perfect combo for a what i consider my sell to be as a Lazy rider.

Edited by cmbthumper

On 10/27/2022 at 5:15 AM, tntmo said:

this is a "SELF Serving Request"

@tntmo I'm hoping you were serious about setting this up.  I'm very interested in it - I'm looking into getting a duel sport (or what you guys call a small bike)  You, @moto_rph, @Pokey151 and  @DSM8 earlier in the post, said you all would be up for letting me throw a leg your bike so I could see how it feels compared to my T7.

Like @Goofy Footer stated, there might be people out there just reading and not posting.  I'm thinking they might have a bike they are thinking about selling.  I'm LOOKING to BUY - would love to try some first.

Heck, I don't know the rules of the board enough yet...I was thinking of putting up a post asking if anyone is selling a "plated small bike".  But I don't know if it's allowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J5ive said:

@tntmo I'm hoping you were serious about setting this up.

See my post in Family friendly rides.  That would be a good place to come on out and see who will let you ride.  Good place to moto camp as well.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, J5ive said:

@tntmo I'm hoping you were serious about setting this up.  I'm very interested in it - I'm looking into getting a duel sport (or what you guys call a small bike)  You, @moto_rph, @Pokey151 and  @DSM8 earlier in the post, said you all would be up for letting me throw a leg your bike so I could see how it feels compared to my T7.

Like @Goofy Footer stated, there might be people out there just reading and not posting.  I'm thinking they might have a bike they are thinking about selling.  I'm LOOKING to BUY - would love to try some first.

Heck, I don't know the rules of the board enough yet...I was thinking of putting up a post asking if anyone is selling a "plated small bike".  But I don't know if it's allowed.

I am absolutely serious.  I am booked pretty much every weekend in November, after that I am open

• Like 1

525 is all back together and running your welcome to ride it anytime 

rear brake light even work now

• Like 1