Mr.JAJA

1night noob ride with weather.

11 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Small and THIN bags on the side racks, you put into those everything you DONT use for camping etc

BINGO. That's how my 690 is set up. The GL Mojave side bags (orange pictured below) have 1x 21" tube, tube patches, small travel bottles with dot & splash of oil, tools, air compressor, ace wraps for medical snafus, and a sun bonnet for my alabaster noggin. Those stay until needing to be used, always on the bike. I also use those tool in that same side bag when I change tires at home etc so I always know I have what I need on the bike. If you build your own toolkit, of what you need to get yourself back home, it's not that huge. 

Edited to add I also carry a tow strap, those work amazingly well I pulled @moto_rph almost the full length of Font's Point with the 690 - so glad we had that!!!

May be an image of dirt bike, motorcycle and outdoors

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Zubb said:

Am curious to hear if anyone discovered any pros or cons to their kit they want to change before they go on a larger adventure?

luggage?

clothing?

tent / gear?

First things first; thank you so much to everyone involved in making this ride a reality.  It was an absolute success! Thanks to @Mr.JAJA next time I will most likely bring a bigger knife to fend off those Cougars ;).  

Stuff I wish I had with me:

1.)  R1250GS that I don't have yet. 

2.)  Hand warmers to stuff in the bottom of my sleeping bag. 

3.)  Ushanka beanie

4.)  More Beer

P.S. thank you @Hawkins (Jesse) for letting me ride your amazing Africa Twin, that thing is badass.  And, thank you @Moto_rph (Perry) for introduing me this fine group of gentelmen.  

Looking forward to the next one.

Sky Photo.jpg

• Like 4

OK here we go.

I have different setups for short Dessert trips, longer cross county trips. On a short trip I use soft bags, 2 person tent, extra 12x9 plastic floor, Air mattress with a foam layer under it, my old Military Sleeping bag, Gas stove for a 2-3 night, Regular bike gas / withe gas Coolman stove for long trips with titanium pot and lid. USB charged air pump for the air mattress.I have my kitchen kit, See 2 Land towel, 8-10 blue shop towels, a fire starter kit with 2-3 wet starter packs, a tow rope, a coffee pot, the legendary PEE bottle, 2-3 wet wipes if I still have some home. a LED head light, Coffee powder, milk with sugar mix, some toilet paper and a little shovel for digging a trench when the rain floods your tent.

On long trips, I use a larger military shovel, a roofer hammer with a sharp edge, bike orientated tools and diagnostic tool, tire fix, air pump, fold down chair. The tent sleeping setup is still the same.

I use ROCK straps and every thing like GPS, Phone is secured with an extra tether strap.

The PEE bottle can be empty thru the back tent door if needed. In my age, it is necessary.

20221024_141801.jpg

20221024_141922.jpg

20221024_142030.jpg

20221024_141350.jpg

20221024_142757.jpg

20221024_142801.jpg

20221024_142806.jpg

20221024_142853.jpg

20221023_103551.jpg

• Like 1

@Dale 4.)  More Beer...That's a given, couldn't agree more with you.

I had 2 of the 24oz Modelo can's and at the camp fire, I wish I had a 3rd.  However, only having to leave my tent once that night - made me glad I only on 2 beers...LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always want more beer, but I also hate having to get up to pee.  It’s a dilemma…

• Haha 1

Just now, tntmo said:

I always want more beer, but I also hate having to get up to pee.  It’s a dilemma…

Where is that 'pee recycling' device Kostner had in waterworld, and how do we adapt it to produce beer lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shutterrev said:

Edited to add I also carry a tow strap, those work amazingly well I pulled @moto_rph almost the full length of Font's Point with the 690 - so glad we had that!!!

I carry the Green Chili Dynamic tow strap.  It works as advertised and worth every penny when you need it.

1 hour ago, J5ive said:

I had 2 of the 24oz Modelo can's and at the camp fire, I wish I had a 3rd.  However, only having to leave my tent once that night - made me glad I only on 2 beers...LOL

The key to a great night sleep at camp is your sleep number. My sleep number is 6 beers. 😆

Edited by A 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry I missed this one. I was camping though on the top of black mountain with my Jeep.so glad I slept in the bed under a soft camper shell. It rained hard and the wind hit up to 60mph gusts Saturday night. 

• Like 3

Well if you gotta miss one, at least your plan B was awesome. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A 2 said:

Sorry I missed this one. I was camping though on the top of black mountain with my Jeep.so glad I slept in the bed under a soft camper shell. It rained hard and the wind hit up to 60mph gusts Saturday night. 

You should have driven the jeep to Warner Springs to come camp with us and join in all the campfire fables and fun!

I took my van out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J5ive said:

Allegedly there were chilled Miller Lites in the van!

Next time speak up when you’re thirsty.

Goofy Provides!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Goofy Provides!

@Goofy Footer Dame...if I only knew.  Didn't know proper camp etiquette.  Next time.

Funny thing is, I thought we were going to have a chase vehicle running with us - my plan was to buy a case or two at the Warner Springs gas station, put it in the chase vehicle and share with the camp - but no chase vehicle.  I couldn't figure out how I could get a case to camp.  Early on, I had asked @tntmo if I could smuggle beer on the chase vehicle...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J5ive said:

@Goofy Footer Dame...if I only knew.  Didn't know proper camp etiquette.  Next time.

Funny thing is, I thought we were going to have a chase vehicle running with us - my plan was to buy a case or two at the Warner Springs gas station, put it in the chase vehicle and share with the camp - but no chase vehicle.  I couldn't figure out how I could get a case to camp.  Early on, I had asked @tntmo if I could smuggle beer on the chase vehicle...

Tim was the chase vehicle, he was really more of a stage vehicle and he already had beer onboard. 
It worked out, you didn’t have to get up three times to pee in the middle of the night!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J5ive said:

21 hours ago, tntmo said:

21 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Where is that 'pee recycling' device Kostner had in waterworld, and how do we adapt it to produce beer lol 

Here all you need, and it will help keep you warm, don't even have to leave the tent.

THIS

• Haha 1

@J5ive and I have been looking for a nice compression bag that will fit a 20 degree sleeping bag.  @DSM8 lent one to us both, but it is not made anymore.  I just got this in the mail from Amazon:

IMG_8129.thumb.jpg.632ecc2c8adaf2cf6dc5688a95c2d7db.jpg

that has my Big Agnes in it and there is ZERO room left over, which is a good thing.  Looks like a keeper....$16.95  Size Medium

Amazon.com : M-Tac Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack Military Water Resistant Compression Bag Lightweight Nylon Compression Sack for Travel, Camping, Hiking, Outdoor Size M (Olive) : Sports & Outdoors

• Like 2

The only thing I learned on this trip is that I need to get my hands on more plum schnapps and peach moonshine. 

@tntmo thanks for organizing, was a great time and reminded me greatly of the group/noob rides of olds!

• Like 3

Is it ok if I bring huckleberry moonshine instead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Is it ok if I bring huckleberry moonshine instead?

We may allow it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J5ive said:

And there better Be a Next Time!

We need to get you on a plated dirtbike and do some laps in the desert this winter. Maybe we can convince @tntmo to have a n00b Dez Bonanza !

Practicing your skills in the sand and rocks Now, before loaded up on a BDR will definitely save your / my/ our arse!

--- RUMOR has it ---> if we stuff @Zubb with enough Peach Moonshine dutch.gif  he can be coaxed into showing us all how to jump the campfire!  Something about " you won't know til "it hits" until IT HITS!! "  kumbaya.gif

Edited by Goofy Footer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bboyle9 said:

The only thing I learned on this trip is that I need to get my hands on more plum schnapps and peach moonshine. 

@tntmo thanks for organizing, was a great time and reminded me greatly of the group/noob rides of olds! 

@bboyle9 and I both started in SDAR many years ago and group rides are certainly the backbone of the club. There are lots of really great people on the board. Connecting for rides seems harder than ever these days but events like this ride prove not only that it can happen, but also that it's a damn good time! Cheers to all who attended!

Once healed up I plan to lead some @tntmoTOMFOOLERY rides at some point. I can navigate most anywhere - the front fender always points ahead!        

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

And there better Be a Next Time!

We need to get you on a plated dirtbike and do some laps in the desert this winter. Maybe we can convince @tntmo to have a n00b Dez Bonanza !

Practicing your skills in the sand and rocks Now, before loaded up on a BDR will definitely save your / my/ our arse!

--- RUMOR has it ---> if we stuff @Zubb with enough Peach Moonshine dutch.gif  he can be coaxed into showing us all how to jump the campfire!  Something about " you won't know til "it hits" until IT HITS!! "  kumbaya.gif

That's not a rumor.  Pigs can fly.  Bring me some beer money and I'll do it in my underwear.

25 minutes ago, Zubb said:

That's not a rumor.  Pigs can fly.  Bring me some beer money and I'll do it in my underwear.

The beer is to encourage flight.

They money is so you keep pants ON 🫣

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

The beer is to encourage flight.

They money is so you keep pants ON 🫣

This is @Zubb your talking about, the beer is what lubricates both flight and disrobing.

You might want to think more on this before heading down that road.....

11 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

The search is on.  I'd been thinking about it, even went to a shop last week.  However, after talking with you, I started the search.  A whole new world of what's what...