I have a non-moto-related friend who's having issues at the border coming back.  Looks like they may go to jail for a few days.  Anyone here have an attorney they know of that can help?

...and no, it's not drug related.

Try calling Baja Bound Insurance and see if they can refer you to an attorney. They certainly have contacts.

• Like 1

Zubb would help to know what side of the border that attorney is needed for US or Mexico

They are held at the Mexicali crossing.  Mexico side.  

Thanks everyone.  I think they've got a solution in motion.

• Like 1

Do you mind sharing the problem so we don't make the same mistake if the was one to start with.... I ride alone there and just did a solo run to Cabo on Thanksgiving week. 

My Mexican insurance does cover legal issues but never had to use it. 

2 hours ago, Driss said:

Do you mind sharing the problem so we don't make the same mistake if the was one to start with.... I ride alone there and just did a solo run to Cabo on Thanksgiving week. 

My Mexican insurance does cover legal issues but never had to use it. 

Sure . . . but first . . . . I just renewed my annual Baja policy.  Didn't notice any help with legal.  Thanks for the tip, I'll dig into the small print and check it out.

My friends (husband and wife) were heading down from Arizona to their home in San Felipe.  She was driving at the border crossing, and he had forgotten that he had a magazine from his pistol in the center console of their rig.  No pistol or course, just a few bullets in a magazine that had fallen to the bottom of the console.  An easy mistake for those of us involved in shooting sports.  Upon entering Baja they got waived over and searched.  No biggie.  Happens all the time.  Except.... they found the mag and proceeded to dismantle the whole rig looking for the pistol.

They spent the night in jail and on the phones until they ran dead.  They needed $30grand, cash in hand by 9am to not go to prison where they would sit for months until trial.  They had a friend in San Felipe drive to San Diego and pick up the cash, returned just before 9am where they went with the cops to the bank and deposited it with receipt.

It's easy to get weirded out about stuff like this, but now even he admits it was his stupidity that cost them so much, moreso than any abnormal graft or corruption.

I make it a point to tell anyone coming down south with me that if they have any weapons or drugs . . . I do not know you, and you are on your own!!  Other than that, I'll go to Hades and back to help you get home safe.  It's a wonderful, beautiful country and culture and I seem to just spend more and more time down there each year.  But no matter what country you travel in, and yes the USA too, you should know what kind of trouble awaits when breaking laws.

I have 20 days scheduled in the next 3 months.  Can't wait to get rolling.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

I make it a point to tell anyone coming down south with me that if they have any weapons or drugs . . .

This is a good thread to read through, lots of good resources and suggestions for help. Sorry to hear your friend was in this bind, something as easy to do and as innocent as forgetting a Leatherman in your backpack at TSA, except he isn't being given the option to mail it home and enjoy the rest of his journey being outside the country. This reminds me of similar cases I heard while overseas, dealing with personnel transiting in to theatre, and getting jammed up because they either didn't read, or didn't believe a foreign country's restrictions on seemingly normal things they may have had in their bags. Always a scary scenario when being held at the behest of another country's mil/govt security forces. 

Back in 2012 we were in La Paz after completing the Baja mil, and one of our fellow chase-crew fellas walked away from the group to go back to the race finish area to see if he could buy more t-shirts etc. We didn't see him until 6am the next morning, they arrested him for random reasons seeing him alone at night, and held him and threatened him with all sorts of things while trying to get as much money as they could. He just sat there all night and responded to every question with "I would like to speak to the American consulate" - they dropped him off sans the cash in his wallet, and his camera, the next morning with a burrito in his hand, and a very strange story to tell. He said they were grilling him to get people to send money or get money, until a point when they decided he wasn't going to and then all smiles and a burrito. All they wanted was to see if they would get the money. 

Best, Nick 

Edited by shutterrev

In my opinion, your guy handled it perfectly.  This seemed to be almost expected long ago but as Mexico develops and modernizes, it has become rare on the mainland and even less so in Baja. For several years now I monitor a couple groups that ride and live all over Mexico.  I've learned not to (completely) trust the news, anecdotal tales from Baja nationals and travelers, or even the State Dept.

My friend admits that while it is a dumb law from an American standpoint; he brought it on himself.  He's managed a major race crew down there for his whole life and owns a home as stated.  He knows the rules, but just got lazy.

Here's a little something I carry in my kit.  I've never had to use it, and frankly doubt I ever will.  I pulled this from an ex-pat.  But remember, just because you hold a card doesn't mean you have to play it.

1DF82F70-E81B-49D1-8209-B80C9985E217.thumb.jpeg.d37e219e4463848b5382d7553ce2be00.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zubb said:

In my opinion, your guy handled it perfectly. 

Another thing I noticed that worked unbelievably well was, as we went all the way down and back up the peninsula, at every mil checkpoint we would pop out the bag of motorsports stickers. Our vehicle barely ever even got looked at passed looking in the windows, they do love the stickers. I'm sure it doesn't work all the time, but I was amazed how much they love having stickers! :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Another thing I noticed that worked unbelievably well was, as we went all the way down and back up the peninsula, at every mil checkpoint we would pop out the bag of motorsports stickers. Our vehicle barely ever even got looked at passed looking in the windows, they do love the stickers. I'm sure it doesn't work all the time, but I was amazed how much they love having stickers! :)

Capital idea!

Paging @kkug to the white phone ... maybe he can load me up before I hit Baja Sur next month.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

@Zubb, you also need a famous @tntmo salute sticker!

Is it safe for children?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Is it safe for children?

I’m not safe for any age. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tntmo said:

I’m not safe for any age. 

You or the sticker?

9 hours ago, DSM8 said:

You or the sticker?

I didn't say anything about a sticker....

12 hours ago, tntmo said:

I didn't say anything about a sticker....

Just asking for clarification don't want to leave anything to chance for the masses.

Edited by DSM8
  • Like 1