I thought they were great at the time (2012) but looking back we brought too much stuff and the panniers hang it way out and way back. They're just OK as far as convenience, the Mosko Backcountry's are heavier but 10 times more convenient to add/remove and get in/out of.

Now I just pack less stuff and try to get it as close to the bike as possible. Prefer something like Mosko Reckless or similar.

Arnie had the bike dialed in fantastically. The pumper carb was a beast but it gave a big ol squirt of power the second the throttle moved, and I like the CV carb's smooth introduction. I got a little herky-jerky at low speed (and almost looped a couple wheelies) with the pumper haha. I just wasn't good enough for it probably.

Probably the same with the suspension. It would absolute eat anything in it's path without upsetting the chassis, but I never gelled with the feel into or through corners on or off-road. It had the Ricoh inertia valves front and rear which work great but felt alien to me in the turns so I never felt in my zone. It just needed a better rider.

image.thumb.png.b2d26c493453076a43e4ab7fe92e667d.png

image.thumb.png.4e1afb1013c7f64bd9eb2c35a4d384a2.png

9 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

It just needed a better rider.

Hey man, looks to me like you rode it to better places than most and THAT is truly the best way to treat your bike right!

@350thumper have you ridden Baja?

@tntmo Coyote Cals and Mama Espinosa's are calling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do have an on-topic question before someone lays the groundwork for a Baja trip (count me in!).

Is the Corrizo badlands (in general) the area circled below?

image.thumb.png.cee4de144a9e6a07d5023c490a18f691.png

12 hours ago, bfar33 said:

I do have an on-topic question before someone lays the groundwork for a Baja trip (count me in!).

Is the Corrizo badlands (in general) the area circled below?

image.thumb.png.cee4de144a9e6a07d5023c490a18f691.png

Yes that is the area I would consider Carrizo Badlands and what this thread started as before the unreal derailment haha. As @350thumper says this area has some technical rocky climbs around Coyote Mountain (which I believe closes seasonally Jan 1st for sheep mating). The Painted Gorge hills and bowls are excellent for skills training and building confidence in a bike.

You can run north from Painted Gorge into Carrizo Wash and head up towards the Blu Inn and Ocotillo Wells but last time I rode it end of the season 2022 it was pretty chopped up from trucks and sxs. One scenic route north is Canyon Sin Nombre to Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, down the Diablo Dropoff and out Fish Creek. For a dualsport ride and depending on time / gas mileage you can take Hwy 78 east, grab food at the Blu Inn, continue to Pole Line Rd and take that south to the train tracks and ride all the way back into Plaster City. You could also take a hard right turn (east) as you exit Fish Creek and loop the entire train track back to Plaster City but..

BEWARE the silt beds near the shooting range -- @hodnettjj saw me disappear into an explosive plume of dust and watched my body skyrocket into the air.

@moto_rph & @shutterrev the loop I describe there ^ is something I bet you would like. If camped at Stagecoach you take Pinyon Mtn (more technical) into Fish Creek or ride south and catch Vallecito Creek. @Bagstr is an excellent guide and source of route info through Anza Borrego.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

@moto_rph & @shutterrev the loop I describe there ^ is something I bet you would like. If camped at Stagecoach you take Pinyon Mtn (more technical) into Fish Creek or ride south and catch Vallecito Creek. @Bagstr is an excellent guide and source of route info through Anza Borrego.

We have started at pinion and gone from there through to Fish creek etc, that's an awesome ride - but I have not explored on anything else off of that described route. I would say for folks considering... that's a route that once you start on a bigger bike, you are pretty much fully committed to, know what your getting in to bring friend(s) and a positive attitude. At the rally we will be with a mix of bikes and abilities with all the folks present, so we will be deciding the routes we take based on what everyone is comfortable with and willing to subject their steeds to. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

We have started at pinion and gone from there through to Fish creek etc, that's an awesome ride - but I have not explored on anything else off of that described route. I would say for folks considering... that's a route that once you start on a bigger bike, you are pretty much fully committed to, know what your getting in to bring friend(s) and a positive attitude. At the rally we will be with a mix of bikes and abilities with all the folks present, so we will be deciding the routes we take based on what everyone is comfortable with and willing to subject their steeds to. 

While I do not have the OFFICIAL @Zubb POWER RATINGS chart in front of me at the moment, I would venture to say..

Pinyon Mtn = Zubb 3

Going UP Borrego DropOff = Zubb 3

Hitting the silt beds blind at full speed = Zubb death :skull:

The rest of the loop = Zubb 2

Ocotillo (town off the 8 fwy) has gas and is the only gas in the SW Anza Borrego region so looping south to there from Stagecoach area is a great route. Post up the routes you take on the Geico Rally. It sounds like @350thumper has the south end pretty dialed.

Let's ride!

• Like 1

I run my oil at 14 psi.

Nothin makes nervous like the threat of unexpected deep silt beds. *shiver*

8 hours ago, shutterrev said:

I've done a similar route in 2008 with some folks from here. Anybody recognize these guys, my memory is not good enough to remember names from that long ago? (sssshhhhhh embrace the derailment)

Would love to do this route again with some other like-minded folks. We went Pinyon --> Fish Creek --> North through OW --> Font's Point --> Gas in Borrego Springs--> Jasper/Grapevine back to Pinyon staging. Maybe a warmup/shakedown ride to prepare for the more desolate south? My ultimate goal is the long southern cowboy routes Goofy Footer and 350thumper are talkin about. *spits into spitoon*

image.thumb.png.dc6d83b5bd5f4ba2e3490b85ffc69045.png

image.thumb.png.b0b95d5a468a3c1398f11e0daa500864.png

• Like 2

🤔 

9 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Anybody recognize these guys, my memory is not good enough to remember names from that long ago? (sssshhhhhh embrace the derailment) Goofy Footer and 350thumper are talkin about. 

image.thumb.png.dc6d83b5bd5f4ba2e3490b85ffc69045.png

I recognize Rick and that's me pointing across the dezert (out of frame)but who is that guy with the hookah and a bannana 🍌?

Did you take that picture bfar33?

Edited by 350thumper
Honda XR 650 L
  • Like 1

Oh you were there haha. 😆 Yeah I took those two pictures, someone else took a few as well (below). I thought Bagstr was there but could be mis-remembering. I was on my DR350 that I wish I still had. I remember the route was awesome and the dirt was fantastic after some rains.

image.png.95d756216038f2772865ed64afcac0a0.png
image.png.019d54cd0f7ec460e2879f41dc709611.png
image.png.e4e6eeed6dbef7b5bfc5f8b4e41e7f53.png

Edited by bfar33
  • Like 2

2008 holy throwback pics that’s awesome!

@350thumper what was your screen name back then?

1st pic:

@Bagstr is wearing blue and drinking his camelback 

@kkug is next to him in orange

2nd pic: 

Looks like @captcham standing, talking to @kkug on the right

@bfar33 nice action shots. Those post rain conditions look great. Anza Borrego offers some of the best winter riding in San Diego and is accessible for a variety if skill levels. Dare I say n00by dez ride this winter… @tntmo +RunnerMarc, @J5ive, @bboyle9, @PaulyPickles, @Birdi ?

The DR350 is a crosschild between your WR250R and DR650.

@tntmo knows them well and @tntbromo has a monster DR435 in the garage.

that looks like our own Mystery Ride Master @kkug going down Heart Attack Hill

• Like 1

Awesome! Didn't realize I was in the presence of royalty back then, I just knew everyone was super cool and friendly.

It's long been my opinion that the DR350 is possibly the best overall dual sport ever made. Light weight, 6 speed, can dirt bike and cruise at 70mph all day, comparably comfortable, DR650 cush drive wheel pops right in, (maybe) e-start, extremely simple, and just fun. Wish they didn't stop making them, they're just a minimum of 20 years old now.  😔

On 11/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, Goofy Footer said:

While I do not have the OFFICIAL @Zubb POWER RATINGS chart in front of me at the moment, I would venture to say..

Pinyon Mtn = Zubb 3

Going UP Borrego DropOff = Zubb 3

Hitting the silt beds blind at full speed = Zubb death :skull:

The rest of the loop = Zubb 2

You've got it @Goofy Footer.  That's my Adventure Bike Trail Rating System.  Not to be confused with anything more sophisticated, intelligent, or accurate.  I will however have to credit you with a heretofore unheard of new category.  Zubb Death for the win!

After the last torrential rain storm  the entrance to Coyote Mountain changed drastically (for the better). It went from zubb levels  to zubb3  there's deep ruts weaving acrost loose toppling boulders . Perfect for shaking out a crew.

• Like 1

The Dez seemed to be an odd mix of better than average hero sand, newer deeper ruts and oddly much deeper than usual fluff sand on the floor below grapevine. 

• Like 1