I'm going to be riding up to the top of Coyote Mountains next weekend . Then coming back through the Badlands .. There will be some steep twisting cobbly trail, and alot of deep sand washes surrounded by sandstone canyons of ABDSP 

Screenshot_20221014-162950_Gallery.thumb.jpg.da375d11ae6712216c99aae9d832d048.jpg

Just throwing an invite out to dezert riders that have interest . Ride starts and ends at the Ocotillo Gas Station  .

Is this dual-sport only? Would a 200XCW explode trying to keep up?

I think you would have alot of fun on that bike ..Screenshot_20221017-095940_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8d1708055286a17b76fc78dbf38e0a99.jpg

You are welcome to join in.

On second thought.. you might want to find a place to ride that is closer to where you live.. it would be a long walk out of  the harsh dezert when It does blow up.

Screenshot_20221021-165846_Google.thumb.jpg.331baccb6b391a226705886721c5df80.jpg

This route thru the Badlands is very intense and challenging terrain. You wouldn't be able to walk out of there..

Looking forward the rest of the story here. 

You probly could survive out there in the dezert if you knew where to look for water and shade.

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 1

I'm stuck between a DR650 and a 200XCW, sounds like a fun ride though. Would like to see more pics if ya got 'em!

On 10/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, 350thumper said:

On second thought.. you might want to find a place to ride that is closer to where you live.. it would be a long walk out of  the harsh dezert when It does blow up.

Screenshot_20221021-165846_Google.thumb.jpg.331baccb6b391a226705886721c5df80.jpg

This route thru the Badlands is very intense and challenging terrain. You wouldn't be able to walk out of there..

JB Quick and a soda can = Ready to Race !

On 10/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, 350thumper said:

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, bfar33 said:

I'm stuck between a DR650 and a 200XCW, sounds like a fun ride though. Would like to see more pics if ya got 'em!

If your serious about getting a ride done,  bring the Dr 650 out to the desert . That bike would do great it has a low center and lots of torque plus it can get up on the highway  in between riding spots..

In a couple weeks come out I'll buy you a burger  and we could go explore S2.

Edited by 350thumper

Nice, appreciate the offer. I think I'll take you up on that before the year's over. I've taken bush pigs through some S2 areas and Pinyon drop before but it's been a while. Always interested to see something new.

Need some fresh rear knobs to match the front, oil change and valve adjust and I'm good to go. I'll reach out...

If it's been a while since you rode it, I would kinda ride closer to where youstay at for a while just in case.like into next year and get familiar with your bike more before you ride desert.

Keep your eyes peeled in the whos riding section for noob rides, they are beginner friendly .. Kugs mystery ride will be noob friendly with  lots of guys with tools and stuff to help you  stay on an even path.

The Badlands aren't really a place to try and get your bike sorted ..

The bike is ridden fairly regularly (mostly urban hooligan assaults or short DS rides), I just haven't ridden Pinyon in a few years. This is my 4th DR650 but still has less than 4k miles on it so hasn't really proven itself just yet. Also not completely happy with the jetting after I added exhaust and did some carb/airbox work.

Back to basics is always good advice, I know I could improve 1000% and still not impress anybody. I'll let you know when the bike and I aren't a liability.

• Like 1

Ha ha not a liability , good one.

The air box might need to be sealed up again because those Dr 650 need a vacuum present at the carb. It is supposed to be a restrictor box by design.

My 650 was falling on its face after being opened up.

I sealed up my box and put the factory pipe back on and got my midrange back..that's normally where I ride the bike. 

I'm glad to hear that your getting out and using it.

Probably heading that direction, I bought a Leo Vince X-3 Enduro exhaust because it was supposed to be quiet (barely louder than stock they said) but still be significantly lighter and maybe increase throttle response/power as well.  Well in my opinion it's pretty much just as loud as an FMF Q2, which I think is too loud.

I only care about a clean response off idle and a nice wide bottom end/mid-range. Wish I would've just left it stock, I really just wanted to drop some weight. I hate starting up loud bikes in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

Probably heading that direction, I bought a Leo Vince X-3 Enduro exhaust because it was supposed to be quiet (barely louder than stock they said) but still be significantly lighter and maybe increase throttle response/power as well.  Well in my opinion it's pretty much just as loud as an FMF Q2, which I think is too loud.

I only care about a clean response off idle and a nice wide bottom end/mid-range. Wish I would've just left it stock, I really just wanted to drop some weight. I hate starting up loud bikes in the neighborhood.

The GSXR exhaust mod is what you want.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree. A loud intake and exhaust give me a decibel head ache after a while.  Plus I like to ride stealth when dual sport to evade the eco-terrorists .

I paid 100 on ebay for a used factory stock exhaust, then bought a used clean air box that was factory for like 50 bucks used.

I even put the paper air filament back in because it requires less maintenance and captures more fine dust.

I threw away the lighter louder pipe. Best decision I ever made. Now my bike is reliable and quiet. Plus I'm not trying to Rev it out to try to get horsepower. That's important to me when climbing a steep hill or riding deep sand or technical rocky bouler stuff,  I need that low end torque and mid range like you are saying.. I rarely ring out my rpms unless I'm on S1 highway and it's at 5500ft where the air is thinner , then I'm glad I use the smaller main jet. .  I'm glad you are tuning your bike.  Soon it will be dialed in.

I know our own DR Guru Mr @TrophyHunter had a FO40 on one of his DRs. The 35F0 also works (less flow that the F040 but a couple decibels quieter allegedly). Some Hayabusa exhausts work as well.

Some decibel phone readings here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/947404-busagsxr-exhaust-comparison-on-dr650/

https://drriders.com/dr650-best-exhaust-2018-t22883-s50.html

gsxr-midpipe1%5B1%5D_0.jpg

814566665_DR650ExhaustF040.png.00294a5675124a6d2598e23f9c10744b.png

• Like 1

Aaaaw ,here we go . Tom and goofyfooter just cross threaded our cute little ride invite into a full on exhaust pipe thread for DR650.  That's cool.im down for it if it gets us riding in the Dez  Badlands quicker.

Here's my set up for the Badlands.

20221031_101855.thumb.jpg.178a7ba1775dc571bf076facf3ebd335.jpg

• Like 1

We haven’t even gotten into carburetor talk yet!

CV or a Pumpah for these big air cooled singles!??

• Like 1

I have a couple of pumpers from a crf 450 I gonna tryout.  My friends say my bike is fast enough.. but I gotta try it next time I got the carb off. I probly ride too much to need a carb rebuild soon though. 

These Badlands and borderlands keep me pretty busy. 😍  

How many more weeks you gotta heal before throwing a leg over the saddle ?

I sold my DR #1 (on right w/ Q4) to a friend so he would ride to Cabo with me, then bought DR #2 (on left w/ GSXR exhaust) from Arnie. I agree the GSXR exhaust was perfect, but I believed some marketing materials for the Leo Vince exhaust when I got DR #4 and it didn't really pan out.

image.thumb.png.5a5640cb649b849a1e2f9fc172aa932d.png

DR #2 had a pumper carb and Ricor suspension, neither of which I personally cared for (I'm sure most would disagree with me). They were fantastic and were set up perfectly, I just like the bike to feel differently.

I'll probably decide between going back to stock or doing the GSXR exhaust.

• Like 1

Great pic of Arnie’s old bike that’s cool to see it. I think he had it pretty dialed.

How’d you like that Wolfman pannier setup?

@350thumper it’s a slow process I have a couple months to wait

• Agree 1